Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

He just turned 33 last month

Apologies 33. Point still stands though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

TRC10 wrote: »
    Apologies 33. Point still stands though

I agree with your point actually, just that's the second post I saw adding an extra year onto him.
    To be fair to Earls, he still has a bit of zip.
    I'd give him one more 6 nations squad call-up but after that the youngsters must be preferred with an eye on being ready for the next World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

CMcsporty wrote: »
    A tighthead playing loosehead
    A secondrow playing backrow - im fine with that!
    A winger playing fullback
    A fullback playing winger
    A right winger playing left wing

What business does 33 year old Earls have playing & at Left wing? When our best Left winger is been played out of position at FB??

And Healy over O'Sullivan?
    Murray back at 9?
    Daly a ready made FB on the bench for Georgia?

I couldnt have picked a worse team if I tried!

This is a bit of a joke now.
    Shocked that they put Earls in at 11 & Stockdale at FB.
    No Eric O'Sullivan?
    Burns! Byrne deserved another go.

I've said it before and ill say it again. Harry Byrne and Casey should be in that squad.
    & why not Baird?
    Whats going on with Conway?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not a particularly inspiring team. Bealham at loose head seems a particularly wasteful selection.

No issue with the rest of the pack or the half backs but the back line is all over the place for me. Same problems in midfield, asking Burns to do a huge amount as the only real playmaker in the back line, back 3 is meh (absolutely love Earls but what do we gain from him there, fitness for him maybe?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

what an awful waste of time and an opportunity missed. a joke of a squad. and if anybody seriously suggested this team, people would have laughed at them. whats the point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I agree with your point actually, just that's the second post I saw adding an extra year onto him.
    To be fair to Earls, he still has a bit of zip.
    I'd give him one more 6 nations squad call-up but after that the youngsters must be preferred with an eye on being ready for the next World Cup.

He’s done at the top level. May blew him away last week.
    Unbelievably short sighted having him in this team.

33 year old wingers do not survive at elite level.
    Bowe
    Trimble
    Horgan
    Hickie
    Murphy
    All done by 33 or beforehand

What are they expecting from Earls over Daly or blooming Stockdale

nobody can defend this selection. nobody. Doris needed another run at 8. Porter is being flogged. Healy on the bench. Murray at 9. lack of new caps. Keenan over Daly. I'd go as far to suggest this is the worst its ever been. It's a nadir for Irish rugby and i probably won't watch this. This team will beat Georgia by about 50 points and come the 6 nations we will be no better for it.France have eleven debutants in their squad to play Italy. A wasted opportunity and i have no idea what Farrell is doing. Should have been shown the door after Japan or kept on as defensive coach, cause he isn't the answer. **** me i'm raging. i was hoping i'd be wrong.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He’s done at the top level. May blew him away last week.
    Unbelievably short sighted having him in this team.

33 year old wingers do not survive at elite level.
    Bowe
    Trimble
    Horgan
    Hickie
    Murphy
    All done by 33 or beforehand

What are they expecting from Earls over Daly or blooming Stockdale

Brian habana was happily scoring test tries at the age of 33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Im confused
    Porter? why not give Marty Moore a shot he was incredible before the move to England and has looked decent, is he fit? or Eric O'Sullivan
    Murray? it would have made sense to start him last week for experience beside a young 10 but makes zero sense against a Tier 2. Start Marmion or give JGP another shot
    Earls? great player but really do we need him in this match, he is 33 and we need to find a replacement
    Keenan has started every game and we know what he can do, Daly we don't, start him
    Beirne at 6 I don't understand, when was the last time he started a big game for Munster at 6?

I think it is time we ring Joe and tell him all is forgiven please come back

sydthebeat wrote: »

Earls will be 36 next World Cup, this is a nothing competition against a Tier 2 team, do we really need to play him. We know exactly what he can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Niallof9 wrote: »
    nobody can defend this selection. nobody. Doris needed another run at 8. Porter is being flogged. Healy on the bench. Murray at 9. lack of new caps. Keenan over Daly. I'd go as far to suggest this is the worst its ever been. It's a nadir for Irish rugby and i probably won't watch this. This team will beat Georgia by about 50 points and come the 6 nations we will be no better for it.France have eleven debutants in their squad to play Italy. A wasted opportunity and i have no idea what Farrell is doing. Should have been shown the door after Japan or kept on as defensive coach, cause he isn't the answer. **** me i'm raging. i was hoping i'd be wrong.

Does that mean you'll stop posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That's a terrible selection. I thought AF had got a good balance in recent weeks but this is just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Got to say that I am a bit disappointed. Perfect opportunity for Daly to get a start! Earls has had his time and it's now time to move on to this upcoming rwc cycle.
    Very disappointed that EOS is not in the 23. Another missed opportunity imo.
    We should tonk Georgia fairly easily and I don't think we have made the most of the opportunity.
    I am happy to see Beirne at blindside. I think he could be a beast here going forward. Also happy for Stu. Well deserved and I hope AF rolls the dice and keeps him for the Scotland match.
    Healy and Porter are being flogged. Healy could have been rested and EOS could have benched. Porter is a lot younger, so maybe not an issue.
    I think this was a going to be an introduction for a couple of new players, but since we can't get our setpiece set up and working, it's obviously a training exercise for Ryan etc.
    We won't learn much from this match. I suppose we will win fairly comfortably and maybe get out l/o wotking.

If you are trying to compare Habana to Earls I think you are missing the point here for the Georgia game.

Btw Habana was 32 at the 2015 WC and retired a year later

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Blindside is the position where Beirne has the best chance of starting games. As long as Henderson and Ryan are fit Beirne will always be third choice. And I suspect Baird will quickly usurp that role too.

Beirne has a lot of qualities, but his relative lack of power makes me think he'd be better off in the backrow long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Earls will be 36 next World Cup, this is a nothing competition against a Tier 2 team, do we really need to play him. We know exactly what he can do.

Earls has played 80 mins of rugby under this new coaching set up.

Assuming Andy Farrell sees earls as being a valid selection option for next years 6 nations then maybe he wants to see how earls can play under into his systems.

Just putting that out there as a possible reason for his selection, and of course the fact he's coming back from injury so possibly needs the minutes to get fit for the Scotland game

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

nobody can defend this selection. nobody. Doris needed another run at 8. Porter is being flogged. Healy on the bench. Murray at 9. lack of new caps. Keenan over Daly. I'd go as far to suggest this is the worst its ever been. It's a nadir for Irish rugby and i probably won't watch this. This team will beat Georgia by about 50 points and come the 6 nations we will be no better for it.France have eleven debutants in their squad to play Italy. A wasted opportunity and i have no idea what Farrell is doing. Should have been shown the door after Japan or kept on as defensive coach, cause he isn't the answer.

To be fair I’d rather win by 50 points than nearly get beat by Fiji. These games are always a lose lose. They is no benefit to play in a game full of fringe players all trying to grab attention. Daly is the future no doubt but let’s see him after 55 mins and let him enjoy his first cap. Don’t understand no Conway and Lowe. Why play Doris against Georgia? He has nothing to prove. Murray needs minutes before next week and Burns coming in for his first start needs a settled nine and pack to be play behind. It is clear from last week he is the immediate back to Sexton.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

John Ryan must really be seen as an empty shirt for them to pick Porter to start again.

If you are trying to compare Habana to Earls I think you are missing the point here for the Georgia game.

Btw Habana was 32 at the 2015 WC and retired a year later

Habana was still scoring against the all blacks in Sept 2016.

And as for missing the point...... Whoosh!!

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Does that mean you'll stop posting?

yeah probably cause we'll see the usual shifting of goalposts on here saying its an excellent side for a vital game against a tough opponent. And when we head into the next World cup with loads of highly paid 36/37 years olds and go out again at the QF the same argument will happen. Its never ending at this stage and yeah i'm nearly at the point of giving up debating it because some of you refuse to acknowledge the issues. going on years now.

To be fair I’d rather win by 50 points than nearly get beat by Fiji. These games are always a lose lose. They is no benefit to play in a game full of fringe players all trying to grab attention. Daly is the future no doubt but let’s see him after 55 mins and let him enjoy his first cap. Don’t understand no Conway and Lowe. Why play Doris against Georgia? He has nothing to prove. Murray needs minutes before next week and Burns coming in for his first start needs a settled nine and pack to be play behind. It is clear from last week he is the immediate back to Sexton.

Who's nearly getting beat by Fiji? Daly 100 per cent deserved a shot. Keenan has been ok. He got a go, but yet again it seems he's now an automatic pick somehow. Doris needs a good run at 8. Stander isn't our 8. But that debate needs settling as this farcical selection shows. A settled 9 what like Marmion or his Ulster colleague Cooney? Murray is getting a little better but it was only last season people were up in arms over him. Now its vital that he's a steady hand alongside Burns. Its a joke shop selection and nobody should be defending it.

Can anybody here say this is the team they would have predicted before this tournament? Yeah you can argue its a no win situation and thats probably the angle he's going for. But again its not about playing a B team, its about at least trying some other options. Earls needs a run perhaps, Stockdale yeah needs a run. Ryan maybe settles into his role. But thats it for me. This selection will have a fair few of the fans turrning, and if he continues this on then the pressure will start to come on if the 6 nations goes pear shaped.

Habana was still scoring against the all blacks in Sept 2016.

And as for missing the point...... Whoosh!!

Wha??
    It’s Habana - one of the greatest wingers of all time! A freak athlete!

Then there is Keith Earls......

I know why Farrell is picking him. He thinks he can do a job in the 6N.
    Ridiculous stuff because he is completely missing the point for this game in particular.
    BIG Picture opportunity

For 6N he has Conway 14, Stockdale 11 Not bloody 15, Lowe 11, Larmour will hopefully come back in at 15. If not he can play 14.

He should be building depth.
    Even young Keenan could do with a bit of a boost after England again
    Daly on the bench should be given a go at 15
    Lowry should have been called up.
    Baloucoune will hopefully be also available in the summer.

Earls has no business been in this side for Georgia.

Either does Healy or Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Burns! Byrne deserved another go.

I would have thought Burns starting was absolutely fair enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Earls hasn't played much rugby, I reckon they want more game-time under his belt with Scotland in mind. Suggesting he's finshed is laughable, he's easily in the top 3 wingers in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

bilston wrote: »
    I would have thought Burns starting was absolutely fair enough?

Yeah very hard to argue that R Byrne deserves another go.

It is nice to see we are getting some of the overreactions out of the way before a ball is even kicked. Might make for some reasonable discussion after the game

It is nice to see we are getting some of the overreactions out of the way before a ball is even kicked. Might make for some reasonable discussion after the game

Yes yes, of course they are overreactions. I suppose blase acceptance will see another stellar world cup in a few years time. it was a perfect opportunity to give 3 or 4 lads in a solid team a go. But no that was far too jazzy for big Andy. i despair at the conservatism of Irish rugby and i don't understand it.

Wha??

For 6N he has Conway 14, Stockdale 11 Not bloody 15, Lowe 11, Larmour will hopefully come back in at 15. If not he can play 14.

He should be building depth.
    Even young Keenan could do with a bit of a boost after England again
    Daly on the bench should be given a go at 15
    Lowry should have been called up.
    Baloucoune will hopefully be also available in the summer.

all those in bold are injured

Keenan has had great exposure so far so you cant call him an opportunity missed.

That Daly will get his go is patently obvious.

we have a 10, 12, 13, 14 and 15 who have only 52 caps between them, and stockdale has 30 of those.

Earls is there to guide the younger lads... he not there to stake a claim for the 2023 RWC as some here seem to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Who's nearly getting beat by Fiji? Daly 100 per cent deserved a shot. Keenan has been ok. He got a go, but yet again it seems he's now an automatic pick somehow. Doris needs a good run at 8. Stander isn't our 8. A settled 9 what like Marmion or his Ulster colleague Cooney? Murray is getting a little better but it was only last season people were up in arms. Its a joke shop selection and nobody should be defending it.

Fiji was a November international played over 2 years ago where Schmitt put a side out with a complete squad rotation. In the end due to absolute NO cohesion Ireland luckily ran out 2 point winners. It was a game to forget for both players and management. there is not point in changing the complete squad just so caps can be handed out. I want Farrell to pick and choose only 3 or four players who have a shout and play them with the senior squad. He also is a relatively new manager and I don’t think he has stamped his style of play (if he has any) on the senior squad as of yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement