Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think the union will hang their hat on Farrell. It's a 4 year cycle after all and it does take time to develop a system and squad. Look at Wales! Complete loss of form under Pivac
    I think he was the wrong appointment. But, they chose him. With England being so good and and an incredibly skilled France, the coming 6nations will be a good barometer.
    Farrell , to his credit, has done well blooding new players. I think they all have someone to offer going forward and they all could have long potential international careers.
    Next weeks tilt with Scotland will reveal a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think the union will hang their hat on Farrell. It's a 4 year cycle after all and it does take time to develop a system and squad. Look at Wales! Complete loss of form under Pivac
    I think he was the wrong appointment. But, they chose him. With England being so good and and an incredibly skilled France, the coming 6nations will be a good barometer.
    Farrell , to his credit, has done well blooding new players. I think they all have someone to offer going forward and they all could have long potential international careers.
    I dont see how its as bad as some are trying to make it out to be and the IRFU wont be thinking anything around "hanging their hat" on farrell.
    Tomorrow is his 8th game in charge. Too early too say if he's wrong. And ridiculous to say he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I dont see how its as bad as some are trying to make it out to be and the IRFU wont be thinking anything around "hanging their hat" on farrell.
    Tomorrow is his 8th game in charge. Too early too say if he's wrong. And ridiculous to say he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Farrell put his time in as defense coach for Ireland, at a time when he was a hot ticket so. personally I'm happy to have him. He's shown that he's not afraid to drop players who do not perform and bring in players that have been on the sidelines for ages.

The new strategy is about putting in place patterns that allow for expression and options, no doubt it will take a while for players to either adapt or move on.

The fact that England are doing fine with an older strategy, to me, means the strategy is secondary to allowing players to express themselves. England are certainly winning, but they seem to be behind the curve when it comes to innovation.

Now Easterby is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Long story short, I think a lot of the lineout nonsense came down to provincial sniping.

Let’s snipe about something else so. How does Henderson change our scrummaging power? I know we eventually rallied a bit against England in that department but it’s surely a worry at the moment against the stronger teams, even when Roux starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Agreed! I think we'll do fine this coming 6nations. I think with a functional set piece we are a tougher opposition. I hope Farrell does well. I certainly don't think our performance thus far has been that awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joma4good

I heard Bernard Jackman talking about Porters Bind against England and John Fogarty also seemed to be focusing on the same issue in a clip online yesterday. I had a look back at a couple of scrums from that game, English front row appear to have a destabilising tactic on the go from the off. We improved as the game went on but the Welsh are complaining of exactly the same thing from today’s game. Hope whoever refs the final at Twickenham gets to grips with it as they’re milking penalties from it.

Joma4good wrote: »
    I heard Bernard Jackman talking about Porters Bind against England and John Fogarty also seemed to be focusing on the same issue in a clip online yesterday. I had a look back at a couple of scrums from that game, English front row appear to have a destabilising tactic on the go from the off. We improved as the game went on but the Welsh are complaining of exactly the same thing from today’s game. Hope whoever refs the final at Twickenham gets to grips with it as they’re milking penalties from it.

Sorry, what are they doing exactly?

In the before (Covid) times, any Irish coach would deserve at the very least a year in charge. I’d double that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Ardillaun wrote: »
    In the before (Covid) times, any Irish coach would deserve at the very least a year in charge. I’d double that now.

Farrell will get the 6nations to show he can improve both performance, and results against France and England, If that doesn't happen, he won't be in charge come the autumn internationals I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Farrell will get the 6nations to show he can improve both performance, and results against France and England, If that doesn't happen, he won't be in charge come the autumn internationals I think.

Not a hope anyone but Farrell is coaching Ireland next autumn, unless something extreme happens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Joe Schmidt was in Ireland coaching for 10 years. How do you still get his name wrong?

Im dyslexic.

Box kicking anything that was in their half, contesting the box kick and apply pressure, playing keep-ball in the opposition half? This was the first iteration of the JS game plan or does your memory not stretch that far?

Seriously I'm not sure what rugby you watch, but say hello to those in the mothership for me!

Mark McCall took over at Saracens the same season Schmidt took over at Leinster.

And that's not even remotely how Leinster played under Schmidt. You couldn't be more wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Farrell obviously been told to vary things up a bit with a few kicks in the absence of other creative options.

McCloskey...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Woeful performance and a waste of time

That was absolutely terrible. Really, really poor and a massive red flag that something is seriously amiss.

Forget about the Leinster squad that would line out in Europe, the Leinster team that was due to play this weekend would have taken Georgia apart.

A few months before I made my mind up on Matt O'Conner I was feeling the way I'm feeling about Ireland now. I don't want to knee jerk but I reckon this is starting to go the same way.

The demeanour of the players says about as much the performance does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

What was Stander at there at the end. Tried to go through someone and ended up in touch. Cut infield few

Sums up the recent performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

That was absolutely terrible. Really, really poor and a massive red flag that something is seriously amiss.

Forget about the Leinster squad that would line out in Europe, the Leinster team that was due to play this weekend would have taken Georgia apart.

A few months before I made my mind up on Matt O'Conner I was feeling the way I'm feeling about Ireland now. I don't want to knee jerk but I reckon this is starting to go the same way.

The demeanour of the players says about as much the performance does.

My worry is that the IRFU won’t be ruthless enough to cut AF early if it’s not working out. Another 1-2 years of accepting it then too late to bed in another coach for the WC..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

I don’t know what was the issue because the first half things were going alright but the 2nd something changed.

Scotland next week is now extra important, if we see a continuation of the second half next week I’d be very concerned for the 6N.

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    What was Stander at there at the end. Tried to go through someone and ended up in touch. Cut infield few

Sums up the recent performances.

Sums up Ireland when they play a team that stands up to them physically, never use our head just continue to bang down the door. 2 tries scored and 4/5 ruled out sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I think it is very unfair to make any judgements on the team after that non event.

Things looked a little better with Burns at 10, I hope he gets a chance to keep that jersey.

Will Henshaw be available? I feel like outside Burns that might almost make for a passable midfield

One thing we definitely learned from this game is we need a creative 10, I’ve been keen on giving Byrne time but today it was night and day when Burns was on and Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hard to find any positivity today really.

It looks to me like we are trying to play with a shape that presents options and allows us to play what's in front of us as well as use the full width of the pitch. If that's the case then I get what the coaches want us to do. We haven't had much cohesion in selection to enable us to settle into that so I wasn't overly worried by the England performance. But against this Georgian side we simply should have been better. Even with the mess that was the starting XV.

So is it that we are having difficulty adapting to this new system having spent years playing a very different way under Joe? Is it that the players on the pitch simply can't deliver on it and so its the wrong approach for us? Are we just uncomfortable making these decisions on the fly as we are trying to do? Or is it just that our squad is a mess of injuries at the moment and the depth we thought we had is simply not good enough? Certainly at 10 there is still light years between Sexton and either 10 we had today. Other than Ringrose we just don't have a centre that can add something more to our attack.

I really have no idea at this stage tbh. That second half was a very tough watch. Going for the posts against Georgia but not against England not only confused, but frustrated me beyond belief. Seriously, why!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Amazed people on here are lining up to boot Farrell out already

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Farrell is not the man for the job.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Hard to find any positivity today really.

It looks to me like we are trying to play with a shape that presents options and allows us to play what's in front of us as well as use the full width of the pitch. If that's the case then I get what the coaches want us to do. We haven't had much cohesion in selection to enable us to settle into that so I wasn't overly worried by the England performance. But against this Georgian side we simply should have been better. Even with the mess that was the starting XV.

So is it that we are having difficulty adapting to this new system having spent years playing a very different way under Joe? Is it that the players on the pitch simply can't deliver on it and so its the wrong approach for us? Are we just uncomfortable making these decisions on the fly as we are trying to do? Or is it just that our squad is a mess of injuries at the moment and the depth we thought we had is simply not good enough? Certainly at 10 there is still light years between Sexton and either 10 we had today. Other than Ringrose we just don't have a centre that can add something more to our attack.

I really have no idea at this stage tbh. That second half was a very tough watch. Going for the posts against Georgia but not against England not only confused, but frustrated me beyond belief. Seriously, why!?

I wouldn’t say we are struggling to adapt to this game plan, it’s just the same issue we have had since England 2019, when we play a physical side we take a step back and get outmuscled, that Georgia pack wasn’t that big yet we were physically outmuscled.

I think depth is nothing more that a scape goat to cover up the real issues, that team had enough quality and continuity to smash Georgia and the fact they didn’t tells us the problems aren’t in personal as when you have so many players playing under par there really isn’t much difference a new player will make with the exception of a play maker.

I’ve said numerous times and I’ll say it again, we are really lacking a second play maker, Farrell and McCloskey are both excellent players but they are doing the same thing so cancel each other out. Weather that be Ringrose or someone else we simply can’t be playing with 2 boschers at centre unless we have someone creative at 15, we got it wide enough today but every time we did we looked static because there was no play maker to spot space or take as much advantage of the space.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We’ve been going downhill since February 2019. It hasn’t been sudden

I hope we hit the bottom soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

I posted this earlier....and I stick by it.
    I can't see us having a good 6n campaign under the current setup.
    I can see this being Leo's last campaign at Leinster if I was a betting man

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement