Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

What sort of money would someone like Marmion be on or expect to get at Saracens?

On top of that they are treated like royalty off the books. The best holidays, the best parties, pretty much living like kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,681 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

On top of that they are treated like royalty off the books. The best holidays, the best parties, pretty much living like kings.

Don't forget the houses and joint 'business' investments from Mr Wray

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We do have a new head coach with fresh ideas

We have a whole new coaching team and head coach, Richie Murphy etc

Example, Cullen was a coach in the MOC disaster, should we have thrown Cullen out because he was part of that team?

People need to give Farrell and team a chance

This. People need to just give him a chance.

If he turns out to be ****e, so be it, but there’s going to be a select few here who won’t be happy with him no matter what he does.

What will be good enough? What if he decides to play this expansive, free-flowing Super Rugby style and we lose? Will it be good enough if we lose but look good doing so?

Give him a chance, let’s see what he has up his sleeve and if it’s not good enough then that will be that.

Get behind the team for Christ’s sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Faugheen wrote: »

If he turns out to be ****e, so be it, but there’s going to be a select few here who won’t be happy with him no matter what he does.

What will be good enough? What if he decides to play this expansive, free-flowing Super Rugby style and we lose? Will it be good enough if we lose but look good doing so?

Give him a chance, let’s see what he has up his sleeve and if it’s not good enough then that will be that.

It’s a discussion forum. People are going to have different opinions. This notion that everyone ‘needs to get behind the team’ is bizarre, they aren’t playing a game for three months.

Posters were criticised for offering opinions during the World Cup because they should be behind the team, now there can’t be different views when the World Cup is over.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We do have a new head coach with fresh ideas

We have a whole new coaching team and head coach, Richie Murphy etc

Example, Cullen was a coach in the MOC disaster, should we have thrown Cullen out because he was part of that team?

People need to give Farrell and team a chance

Nice example with Cullen. I needed some positivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

As a more overall point regarding the state of the team, I think Schmidt did a good job in building depth across multiple positions. Farrell has a good pool of player with international experience to choose from. Hooker and scrum half are the big exceptions however. Best was still our best and had a good World Cup overall I think. But none of his successors really inspire. I'll give him a pass with fly half due to the Jackson debacle.

But I think it's only right that people would have trepidations over Andy Farrell taking over. He's been an extremely successful defence coach. He deserves a lot of credit for our successes over NZ and the Grand Slam due to his input in defence. But he's only ever been an assistant and never the head man. And of course, there's the hearsay that his input into selection was England's downfall in 2015. That can't be substantiated of course, but there are stories. Schmidt has left Irish rugby in a better state than he found it, but I do worry about what's coming next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Faugheen wrote: »

Some people will never give him a chance

You had the same crowd who waited for ages to see Joe struggle....

A percentage of the Irish people love to see people fail, simple as that. Doesn’t matter who they are or what they do

I will be critical if Farrell if he deserves it but I will give him a chance to actually coach at least 1 game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It’s a big ask of Farrell. Having never been the boss man he will be on a steeper learning curve than all the other national team head coaches.
    The pressures on picking those XV and the XXIII is going to be his first real challenge.

It’s a big ask of Farrell. Having never been the boss man he will be on a steeper learning curve than all the other national team head coaches.
    The pressures on picking those XV and the XXIII is going to be his first real challenge.

He'll have good coaches around him and given the disappointment of the world cup, I'd certainly be giving him a season to find his feet and his style.

& the entire English 2015 RWC coaching ticket in Ireland

• Advertisement

& the entire English 2015 RWC coaching ticket in Ireland

I think the important thing for Andy Farrell is, he has a reputation of being a defense coach that players want to defend for. I've heard he makes defense fun for the team.
    I think that's what the Ireland team need now. And he's also studied under some of the best coaches in the game.

It's quite possible we could be getting an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Hopefully, he does not get stuck in the mud like Schmidt.
    Fresh ideas will be welcome. I hope he picks on form. That's part of what our problem was.
    Anyway, best of luck to him

He'll have good coaches around him and given the disappointment of the world cup, I'd certainly be giving him a season to find his feet and his style.

I’m prepared to give him the full 4 year cycle.
    It’s going to be fascinating to see who he will hitch the wagon to over the next two seasons at 10, 2, 15, 12 and 8.
    Ultimately he also needs to phase out Sexton, Earls, and Healy over the same period.
    POM and probably Aki and CJ would be all past their prime by that stage.

& Murray.
    What the hell can he do at SH?
    Marmion is playing a cute hoor of a game with the Saracens thing.

There isn’t any other real quality to usurp Murray. JGP or McGrath’s aren’t the answer.

Really like the cut of young Craig Casey’s jib! But who knows how good he will be.
    One thing for sure the Murray of today is a shadow of his 2017 self. He ain’t getting any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Peter Robb is coming for the 12 jersey just saying

Wegians89 wrote: »

MotM, looks a unit as well. I'll be tuning in to see him play in future.

MotM, looks a unit as well. I'll be tuning in to see him play in future.

All welcome on the hype train.

He’s been very good so far this season, fancy him keeping bundee out of the Connacht side for a few weeks too. Think himself and Ringrose would make a tasty pairing

Nonsense
    Frawley will be that man

Nonsense
    Frawley will be that man

Tbh I’d much rather see him at 12 than 10. He’d be a completely different sort of 12 to Robb. You’ll be interesting inside henshaw/ Chris Farrell

I'd love to see us have a play making 12, Henshaw and Aki have good distribution skills (as does Chris Farrell if he was to move into 12), but I think it'd be interesting to see how we'd go with a proper second distributor in the backline.

A lot of our set piece moves are just 12 running straight and recycling and in a way it's probably why we relied so heavily on the wrap around because we didn't have that second option so we had to give Sexton more space with the pivot.

• Advertisement

Probably more scope at 15 to incorporate that second distributor.
    I like Frawley but I joked about him because he won’t be given a chance anyway with Henshaw trucking it up at 12.
    At the moment I dont see anybody good enough at 12 to give Ireland that option.

Lowry at Ulster looks the real deal at 15.

Probably more scope at 15 to incorporate that second distributor.
    I like Frawley but I joked about him because he won’t be given a chance anyway with Henshaw trucking it up at 12.
    At the moment I dont see anybody good enough at 12 to give Ireland that option.

Lowry at Ulster looks the real deal at 15.

Crying out for carbery at 15

IF I HEAR ONE MORE LINE ABOUT A SECOND DISTRIBUTOR i WILL SCREAM! ****it, I'm screaming anyways!

Crying out for carbery at 15

You mean at 10!

You mean at 10!

Sexton will be around for the next 2 years and then it’s harry Byrnes time

I'd be surprised to see Sexton start another game for Ireland. If he does, then, I think, all Andy Farrell's good will will evaporate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'd be surprised to see Sexton start another game for Ireland. If he does, then, I think, all Andy Farrell's good will will evaporate.

Eh? He'll be nailed on again come the 6N

Eh? He'll be nailed on again come the 6N

To what end?

Personally I’d prefer if Sexton would retire. Short term pain long term gain

I’d prefer for Carbery to be given his stripes now.
    And let your Harry get a few more games at Leinster

Won’t happen with Sextons 2021 contract. Pfft

• Advertisement

If Sexton's fit and has played champions cup with Leinster at all, he'll be playing in the 6N. People forget the IRFU only after extending his contract less than a year ago through to the end of 2021. Farrell's not going to come in and make big calls like that straight off the bat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement