Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

That Sounds very promising.
    If he has a kicking game it would offer a much needed alternative at 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

That Sounds very promising.
    If he has a kicking game it would offer a much needed alternative at 12.

Ireland have cracking players across all the provinces, dumping them into Ireland and getting them hammered is not the answer

Integration into the team like we have done over the past 6 years is the answer. A couple of months of poor performances doesn’t shouldn’t throw out all the previous good work, refinement is required not restarting from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

bilston wrote: »
    His passing and offloading game is really impressive. Haven't seen him kick from hand enough. He's powerful and has good feet and seems to have gained pace in the last 12 months. Defence seems to his biggest work on. Real shame about his hamstring injury. Ulster probably won't see him now until March.

Definitely seemed quicker this year, especially his acceleration when receiving the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ireland have cracking players across all the provinces, dumping them into Ireland and getting them hammered is not the answer

I hope you won't be doing the team talks.

I'm not sure what quantity you mean by dumping but certainly in friendlies why not try - you might find a few step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Aki and Marmion may be leaving Connacht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

JJJackal wrote: »

If Aki doesn't get a centralized contract then you couldn't really blame him for leaving Ireland.

If Aki doesn't get a centralized contract then you couldn't really blame him for leaving Ireland.

Deserves one - in addition to his quality, one of the most durable players playing for Ireland - rarely injured. And a talisman at Connacht

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

just seen this on ticketmaster:

https://www.ticketmaster.ie/joe-schmidt-in-conversation-dublin-02-12-2019/event/1800576598CA2EF1

Joe Schmidt In Conversation

Date Mon 2 Dec 2019 @ 7:30 pm
    Venue Bord Gais Energy Theatre, Dublin

General Onsale
    Fri 8 Nov 2019 @ 10:00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

y

Don’t think bundee will leave think it’s both him and Connacht pushing for a central contract

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I don’t know if Aki will get one.

Ringrose’s contract is up at the end of the season as well and Henshaw already had a central contract.

Could the IRFU really justify having three centres contracted centrally?

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    I don’t know if Aki will get one.

Ringrose’s contract is up at the end of the season as well and Henshaw already had a central contract.

Could the IRFU really justify having three centres contracted centrally?

If you dont want a soley Leinster focused setup you have to reward Bundee

If you dont want a soley Leinster focused setup you have to reward Bundee

If you want to keep your best centre then you reward Ringrose.

I’d hope they reward both mind, the question of them justifying three centres was a genuine one. I don’t know the full criteria of whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It wouldn't be surprising. He's really bought into things here but I don't think he ever struck me as someone who would set up their life here after rugby (few do). He's 30 this season and has one last shot at a big pay day in France.

Everything we know of the IRFU suggests that once you hit that 30 mark, your next contract is only going one direction financially so if he does stay, it will be for Connacht and not for money.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him announce a new team in the next 2-3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I hope Aki does get a central contract. Just to see Luke Fitzgerald's meltdown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Central contracts are not a perfect way to reward performance, but if giving them out then Aki certainly deserves one more than either Henshaw or Ringrose based on the past two seasons.
    Really not convinced by Henshaw or Ringrose lately, would rather see more of Chris Farrell at 13 for Ireland this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Don’t know how true it is but was told before Aki is more or less on central contract as is. Mightn’t be central contract in name but he’s apparently on a contract that is unique in Connacht.

If you want to keep your best centre then you reward Ringrose.

I’d hope they reward both mind, the question of them justifying three centres was a genuine one. I don’t know the full criteria of whatever.

Best centre is always contentious. I agree Ringrose maybe better skill wise, Aki is more robust (so more likely to play) and also essential for Connacht to keep their star.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Best centre is always contentious. I agree Ringrose maybe better skill wise, Aki is more robust (so more likely to play) and also essential for Connacht to keep their star.

Important point. The guy has been box office for promoting the club and game in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Central contracts are not a perfect way to reward performance, but if giving them out then Aki certainly deserves one more than either Henshaw or Ringrose based on the past two seasons.
    Really not convinced by Henshaw or Ringrose lately, would rather see more of Chris Farrell at 13 for Ireland this season.

I hate this type of reductive argument I'm about to use, but anyway, I've no idea how you can think Aki has been in better form than Ringrose over the last few seasons. The latter has been our best centre by a mile. Aki has certainly been the most durable, but his performances in 2019 were a million miles off his 2018 standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Don’t know how true it is but was told before Aki is more or less on central contract as is. Mightn’t be central contract in name but he’s apparently on a contract that is unique in Connacht.

Had heard he’s on the same money as a central contract since he was capped but think it’s connacht malting the majority of it. Getting him off Connacht books and into the irfus would probably mean Connacht could afford two decent players or another marquee signing

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    I hate this type of reductive argument I'm about to use, but anyway, I've no idea how you can think Aki has been in better form than Ringrose over the last few seasons. The latter has been our best centre by a mile. Aki has certainly been the most durable, but his performances in 2019 were a million miles off his 2018 standard.

You’re entitled to your opinion but I reckon Ringrose has been on a downward trajectory lately and will be dropped for the 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

You’re entitled to your opinion but I reckon Ringrose has been on a downward trajectory lately and will be dropped for the 6 nations.

His form certainly dipped a bit from the new year until the end of the club season. But his performances picked up and he was our best back during the World Cup . One of the few who genuinely troubled opposition defences.

‘Downward trajectory’ yet was probably our best back at the World Cup?

I’m all for debate but lazy arguments like that are just complete nonsense and it’s based off a couple of bad games, which you could easily find for Aki, Henshaw or whoever else as well.

Grand Slam, Pro14 twice, Champions Cup winner and runner up in the past two season as undisputed first choice 13 for club and country. He’s been Ireland’s best centre by a country mile.

The post about Aki being box office and a star for Connacht both on the pitch and in promotion is a good argument, though. Very good in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Can’t see that happening.
    I thought he was our best player v Eng in 6n. He’s been getting poor service all year. And again he was probably our best player v Jap.

Hopefully he’ll be a mainstay for the next 4 years. Injuries permitting

Good point on Aki’s robustness. I’d say he should get one because of Ringrose, Henshaw and Farrell’s injuries profile.

2yr central contract 350k a yr would do it

‘Downward trajectory’ yet was probably our best back at the World Cup?

I’m all for debate but lazy arguments like that are just complete nonsense and it’s based off a couple of bad games, which you could easily find for Aki, Henshaw or whoever else as well.

Grand Slam, Pro14 twice, Champions Cup winner and runner up in the past two season as undisputed first choice 13 for club and country. He’s been Ireland’s best centre by a country mile.

The post about Aki being box office and a star for Connacht both on the pitch and in promotion is a good argument, though. Very good in fact.

Having Aki may be worth more to the IRFU than Ringrose. Aki does so much for the game in Connacht.

Again I agree Ringrose is a marginally better player

Sorry but boards has no cure for blindness

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry but boards has no cure for blindness

Maybe you meant blind spot, in your case.

• Administrators Posts: 53,821 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ringrose should get a central deal.

But not Aki or Henshaw.

Having Aki may be worth more to the IRFU than Ringrose. Aki does so much for the game in Connacht.

Again I agree Ringrose is a marginally better player

And what does Connacht bring to the irfu?

Leinster, Munster and Ulster getting into the qtr and semi finals of the Heineken cup bring in huge sums of money. Losing players from those squads weaken their chances to qualify out of the groups and the revenue for the irfu

Yes Aki does great work in Connacht promoting the game and raising the profile but a home qtr brings in 1 mil to irfu

• Advertisement

Maybe you meant blind spot, in your case.

He was the best centre in World Cup and also the youngest If not mistaken

He had a minor drop in form after the HC final last year but quickly regained it....

Are we supposed to overlook our form young player now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement