Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

blinding wrote: »
    What’s the Drug Taking situation in World Rugby ?

I think Bill Beaumont is on anti-inflammatory meds......Naproxen maybe.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

JJJackal wrote: »
    Irish 10s:

Sexton, Carbery, Carty, Byrne, Byrne, Bleyndaal, Hanrahan, Johnston, Curtis, Burns, Madigan, Jackson, Keatley, Gareth Steenson (getting on no doubt)

Callum Sheedy might have played for Ireland if offered a World Cup slot or not (not familiar with his exact situation)

There are alot of good 10s there - only one Sexton no doubt, but alot with not much difference between them

This is just a list of names. What it absolutely is not is a list of out-halves who were an option for a World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

This is just a list of names. What it absolutely is not is a list of out-halves who were an option for a World Cup.

They were all except Sheedy an option. We choose not to select the others?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I used to play fly half at u16s... why isnt my name on that list !!!
    i demand inclusion !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i demand inclusion !!!!!

You dont play competitive rugby at Champions Cup standard. Nearly all listed out-halves do

However if you do please let me know and I will add you to the list :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i demand inclusion !!!!!

Because U never could “control a game”!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm sure I speak for many others when I say ah heeeeyor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hindsight is great. But Sexton was not fully fit and Carbery was injured.

Not only did Carbery's injury not clear up but the limited part he played probably made it worse as he is out now for some weeks or months

Everyone is saying Sexton wasn't fully fit but this is a guess

He has said he was fit for Japan game. He trained that week. The Scotland game he said he could kick but he didn't as he wasn't going to risk it

In the Somoa and Russia game nothing suggested he wasn't fit.

The Ireland management team took a call and thought they could beat Japan with another 10,this didn't work out

Carbery injured now doesn't mean he was injured when he did play during the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Carbery injured now doesn't mean he was injured when he did play during the world cup
    It does in this case. It was confirmed that its the same injury he sustained during the Italy warmup and that is was just being managed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I don't think you can suggest he was fully fit anyways

some extracts, all from IT articles

After Samoa Game
    Anything at all. Ireland, with Carbery finally feeling “back to himself after the ankle injury,” have picked themselves up off the floor with a confidence inducing, Johnny Sexton inspired performance with Carbery closing down the show.

When withdrawn late before Russia Game
    ruled out of today’s Russia game at the Kobe Misaki stadium after injuring the ankle he had surgery on in August.

Carbery admitted after defeat to Japan last Sunday that he was still struggling for “match fitness” since badly twisting his ankle against Italy in Dublin on August 10th.

“I wouldn’t consider myself too match fit yet but I would like to have started,” said the 23 year-old following the 19-12 defeat.

The fact that Ireland also started Carty ahead of Carberry for Japan also indicates a fitness issue. While he may not have been injured, he certainly wasn't fully match fit and the aggravation of the ankle cost him the one start he was going to get

His lack of full fitness is also probably why Sexton wasn't on the bench for Japan leading to us not having the option of bringing him on to try to turn things around

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Because U never could “control a game”!

Yeah I was always more barrett than pollard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There is no reason why Ronan Kelleher can't make the 6N squad and even see gametime.

There is no reason why Ronan Kelleher can't make the 6N squad and even see gametime.

When is the young hooker in Munster qualified to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Never mind Ronan Kelleher seeing a bit of game time during the 6N, he should be starting every game.

He's the best hooker in Ireland right now.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Clegg wrote: »
    Never mind Ronan Kelleher seeing a bit of game time during the 6N, he should be starting every game.

He's the best hooker in Ireland right now.

I think we need to see him back it up first in Europe before making that claim. As I said in the Leinster thread he’d be a bolter if he can keep it up and get some starts, starting next week against Benneton

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Leinster young gun goes well - boards rugby: PARACHUTE HIM INTO THE IRELAND STARTING LINEUP

Let Kelleher develop at his own pace ffs. Has he played anyone of serious note yet? Give him gametime in Heineken Cup - he's gotten an armchair ride in a team destroying early season opposition, of course he's looking good. Let's see him slug it out in the HEC before declaring him ready to get eaten alive in the Stade de France or s**t the bed like Ross Byrne did.

Very exciting player, darts look good and mobile round the pitch with good ball skills. He's looking good thus far, but we saw at the WC the level of step-up there is to international

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not sure why people think so little? of Ross Byrne.
    He's an accomplished 10. He's won silverware and is the closest style to Sexton. Maybe he's not the answer,right now, but he is a good player.
    I think he can be a positive player/ influence on the national team!

leakyboots wrote: »
    Leinster young gun goes well - boards rugby: PARACHUTE HIM INTO THE IRELAND STARTING LINEUP

Let Kelleher develop at his own pace ffs. Has he played anyone of serious note yet? Give him gametime in Heineken Cup - he's gotten an armchair ride in a team destroying early season opposition, of course he's looking good. Let's see him slug it out in the HEC before declaring him ready to get eaten alive in the Stade de France or s**t the bed like Ross Byrne did.

Very exciting player, darts look good and mobile round the pitch with good ball skills. He's looking good thus far, but we saw at the WC the level of step-up there is to international

Classic boards.ie rugby stuff, just missing a "he's not ready", but we get a full sentence in caps and all. Good effort.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Not sure why people think so little? of Ross Byrne.
    He's an accomplished 10. He's won silverware and is the closest style to Sexton. Maybe he's not the answer,right now, but he is a good player.
    I think he can be a positive player/ influence on the national team!

Best to leave it, his team hammered Connacht, scores a try, misses no kick, had a huge influence on the game and the only comment was someone saying he wasn’t in the game :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. Both Carbery and Jackson have both performed well with Ireland in the past.

I don't think I could point to a test match where I'd say Carbery had a strong game. His 20 minutes against Italy this summer was the best I've seen him play in green. I'd be hoping to see a little more from him at this stage.

His performances have generally been the mediocre to acceptable level, for me. I've very little optimism about Irish options after Sexton unless one of the youngsters comes through.

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think I could point to a test match where I'd say Carbery had a strong game. His 20 minutes against Italy this summer was the best I've seen him play in green. I'd be hoping to see a little more from him at this stage.

His performances have generally been the mediocre to acceptable level, for me. I've very little optimism about Irish options after Sexton unless one of the youngsters comes through.

Yeah we're struggling but it can't be stressed the difference a season as first choice will make to someone like Carbery. His injury profile is more a concern than his capacity to hit a decent ceiling.

Sexton in 2018 was as good as we've ever had it. He set and continually reached a very high bar and was deserved world player of the year. We won't see that level again for some time but we can build a squad around the likes of Carbery and hopefully in time he'll find performances like that.

Neither Carty nor Byrne are going to be mainstay internationals. Carty can't control a game and Byrne lacks the athleticism for international rugby. Byrne was encouraged the last 18 months to show more with ball in hand but when he does try to take it on himself he tends to play worse. He missed two overlaps last night trying to step into a gap, I think he was a better player when he focused on his distribution uber alles.

Would like to see one more prospect from one of the academies put their hands up. Paddy Jackson returning would be the other option but can't see that happening.

Carbery looks to be made of glass, even going back to his breakout season he was injured for a lot of it, it’s concerning because every season he has a serious injury

Byrne is a solid 10, can run a game and close a game. Is great kicker from hand and from the tee. Probably better to Sexton, his cross field kick is a potent weapon

He has started to run a bit more with the ball but as mentioned he is better at just running the game and bringing the players around him into the game

I do think we need a better option going forward if we want to stay on top 4 in World but I would have Byrne in the bench

I've never wavered from the opinion that all Carbery's best rugby has been from 15. He was able to really influence a game without having the pressure of everything going through him.

Just stuff like this, getting 2 touches on the ball and creating a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPeQmFwsL0g&t=282s

But oh well, he's buggered off to Munster where he hasn't got their backs firing at all in big games and he's now lost his patron in Schmidt, it'll be interesting to see what happens from here.

Would like to see one more prospect from one of the academies put their hands up. Paddy Jackson returning would be the other option but can't see that happening.

Jackson will never return. Simple as that

It would be a PR nightmare and just look at the plonkers trying to protest when he wasn’t even playing in Munster game this season

Ireland have
    Sexton - 2 years left
    Carbery - young but having injury issues
    Byrne - solid player but I wouldn’t see him as the starting 10 in a WC semi
    Carty - no comment
    Burns - showing decent so far this season
    H Byrne - first season but looks the real deal

Ulster have young 10 starting today who they say is good
    The u20 has a Munster 10 who played well for the Geand Slam

So all in we have some exceptional talent and I probably forgot a few.

I've never wavered from the opinion that all Carbery's best rugby has been from 15. He was able to really influence a game without having the pressure of everything going through him.

Just stuff like this, getting 2 touches on the ball and creating a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPeQmFwsL0g&t=282s

But oh well, he's buggered off to Munster where he hasn't got their backs firing at all in big games and he's lost his patron in Schmidt, it'll be interesting to see what happens from here.

A good few have always said the same including me. Anyway we are where we are.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »

I get that, but I do think Joey has come on a fair bit. That performance against Italy was good. As Venjur says, his injury profile is the big concern. He cant develop his game if he isnt playing enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

leakyboots wrote: »

While I agree with the majority of that, I wouldnt say Byrne s**t the bed really. He actually played as well as could be expected for the most part behind a pack that was underperforming so badly. He did retreat into his shell a bit after a while (after a mistake - a kick our on the full?), but away from home in Twickenham against a side that was murdering us in his only shot at a RWC place? That's as tough a place as any 10 can be. Were any of our other back-ups subjected to that level of pressure?

molloyjh wrote: »
    While I agree with the majority of that, I wouldnt say Byrne s**t the bed really. He actually played as well as could be expected for the most part behind a pack that was underperforming so badly. He did retreat into his shell a bit after a while (after a mistake - a kick our on the full?), but away from home in Twickenham against a side that was murdering us in his only shot at a RWC place? That's as tough a place as any 10 can be. Were any of our other back-ups subjected to that level of pressure?

I never understood that decision by Schmidt, Byrne had no chance v England....the pack got murdered, everyone got murdered and byrne was trying to fix it, was he the only player on the pitch that day who didn’t go to the WC?

Joe just didn’t seem to like him, not sure why because Byrne was a player that suited Ireland style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It will be interesting to see if any other 10s step up this season.

Europe is the big test of course. Billy Burns is someone to watch at Ulster. He has started the season really well. If he's fit he will be up against his brother next week which in itself will be fascinating.

JJ seems to be on a run of form at Munster as well.

When is Carbery due back?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement