Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that make you happy - Part 3 - The Happyning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Masks. Or to be exact ,how you notice a persons eyes now. And masks really bring out people's eyes. My pharmacist gets a special mention. Amazing eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I love the clip from the Young Ones they played to introduce him, it's my favourite epsiode!

And Rick introduced as 'Rick with the silent P'.....

And them studying on the train on the way to the quiz !!
    Must re-watch it...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cj maxx wrote: »
    Masks. Or to be exact ,how you notice a persons eyes now. And masks really bring out people's eyes. My pharmacist gets a special mention. Amazing eyes

Yes I noticed that when I was in hospital ; all staff, nurses, drs, cleaners etc wore masks, and you straight away depended on eyes and voices

Odd too that when I think of them I see the whole face and no mask,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I love the clip from the Young Ones they played to introduce him, it's my favourite epsiode!

And, following on from Ade's real appearance on UC, I watched tonight's episode and got more questions right than any single contestant. Check out the big brain on Sardonicat! 'My Daddy bought me a Porsche, fnar, fnar,' Oh sh1t, a giant eclair is about to crush me and my hubris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Sardonicat wrote: »
    And, following on from Ade's real appearance on UC, I watched tonight's episode and got more questions right than any single contestant. Check out the big brain on Sardonicat! 'My Daddy bought me a Porsche, fnar, fnar,' Oh sh1t, a giant eclair is about to crush me and my hubris.

University Challenge makes me happy, I love the Christmas series. Just watched tonight's episode too :). If I miss it,there's a youtube channel that's pretty up to date.

• Advertisement

My bed... a constant refuge …

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Neighbour constantly leaving birdseed out on their shed attracting seagulls. She was caught directly feeding the seagulls on other occasions.

So I set up a plan delivering the following to the neighbour -

1) Christmas Card with seagulls on it

2) A poem I wrote about seagulls being fed on the shed (Husband of seagull feeder fancies himself as a poet - so thought it would be funny. He gives out to her for feeding the gulls as well)

3) Purchased a bird feeder for small birds to give to the neighbour

4) Gave county council leaflet detailing seagull nuisance and so on, and how people should not feed gulls.

I did not see the birdfeeder put up (day one) there is still birdseed being put on the shed. And the seagulls are still flocking.

However, writing the card, poem, and giving the presents was cathartic. And amused me.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

2) A poem I wrote about seagulls being fed on the shed (Husband of seagull feeder fancies himself as a poet - so thought it would be funny. He gives out to her for feeding the gulls as well)

Ooooh share the poem!!!

Ooooh share the poem!!!

Haha ok for the craic.

Three times a day, the seagulls flock,

It’s feeding time again.

When once the vista was serene,

It’s quickly like Hitchcock scenes.

Feathered fiend’s in line up.

Gulls they swoop,

And dive and squawk,

On that shed for feasting.

Then seagulls fly,

Who knows how far?

And sh!te from heights,

On garden, path, or car?

It’s worse than Howth, with fishing boats.

Bacteria, all sorts of yokes.

Their loaded up on bread!

When squawking’s heard,

I wonder,

Can't they feed other birds instead!?

Haha I particularly like the ending. I thought it might be more subtle but if she doesn't take the hint from that, there's no hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Scrooge- the one with Alastair Sim. It is the best version ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hopefully going to Christmas Eve mass tonight

if she doesn't take the hint from that, there's no hope!

Exactly. I tried! When delivering the stuff I explained I have a bird feeder, card. poem. It was herself that answered.

She them started saying when I walking away, what do you drink. 'Guinness' says I. 'But I am grand' I say.

Thinking she has no notion of buying me Guinness after reading that Poem or County Council advice on seagulls.

She has a temper on her and hates to be challenged on anything for a start (She had a row with another Neighbour about her dog - plus called her husband for back up - told me the story when she was still irate). It was one of those 'How Dare You' stories.

So she is likely to take it as a personal insult. And increase the level of passive aggressiveness (more seed on shed), is my prediction.

But at least I made my point, in as a nice a way possible, I suppose.

Because there is no law in Ireland specifically against feeding seagulls as far as I know unlike the UK. But the Council have threatened fines in the past. However, it is illegal to kill the feckers in Ireland.

Getting a real hawk is the next option, however that seems expensive and a lot of effort. Where would you keep it? (Fake Chinese Hawks are no use I tried buying those)

Anyway, I have been kept amused by trying to figure out the appropriate solution at this stage. Being annoyed won't do anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Had yesterday off work, ventured out this morning on foot for a bit of shopping. I don’t “do Christmas” as a rule so I don’t need much. Walked to the shops in sunshine, where it wasn’t crowded and I didn’t wait more than a few seconds for a checkout. Bus back with shopping, traffic getting heavier but I was in no rush. Got back while it was still nice out, don’t mind that it’s started to get colder now. It’s trivially nice when these things are low stress.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭wildwillow

branie2 wrote: »

Not being at all judgemental, but are you aregular Mass goer. I ask because the priest in my parish cancelled all attendees as there was blue murder over who should be given a place.

As a non worshipper I wouldn't dream of expecting a seat. But it seems it was the likes of me who never darken the door any other time, who were offended. The priest decided he didn't want his helpers having to refuse their neighbours.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I know in some churches you had to book your seat in advance - no ticket, no access. Fair is fair.

wildwillow wrote: »
    Not being at all judgemental, but are you aregular Mass goer. I ask because the priest in my parish cancelled all attendees as there was blue murder over who should be given a place.

As a non worshipper I wouldn't dream of expecting a seat. But it seems it was the likes of me who never darken the door any other time, who were offended. The priest decided he didn't want his helpers having to refuse their neighbours.

It is on tonight in our local church. and I hope my parents and myself will be able to get a seat. If it's full, we can always watch mass online.

very happy at being in much-loved and familiar English cathedrals all day for Nine Lessons and Carols... That is Chr istmas epitomised for me and I will be back there tomorrow... as I have been all week

Adding that I am unable to attend or reach a church as disability and covid prevent. I miss churches so much. was always to mass on Christmas Eve...YouTube is a great gift … and I get nostalgic at this season.

Got to attend mass tonight.

Also got the Christmas presents I wanted:

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace and Iron Man on Blu-Ray
    The Sentinel, the latest Jack Reacher novel
    A Time for Mercy by John Grisham
    Here's the Story by Mary McAleese.
    I also got a boxset of all three series of Mrs Brown's Boys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

Neighbour constantly leaving birdseed out on their shed attracting seagulls. She was caught directly feeding the seagulls on other occasions.

So I set up a plan delivering the following to the neighbour -

1) Christmas Card with seagulls on it

3) Purchased a bird feeder for small birds to give to the neighbour

4) Gave county council leaflet detailing seagull nuisance and so on, and how people should not feed gulls.

I did not see the birdfeeder put up (day one) there is still birdseed being put on the shed. And the seagulls are still flocking.

However, writing the card, poem, and giving the presents was cathartic. And amused me.

Throw birdseed (with a catapult) on their rooftop during the summer months..might help them change their habits !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Off to visit my mother in nursing home.
    Although not sure if I'm happy or annoyed at the 15minutes allowed for one family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Became an uncle at 00.01 last night.

Well technically its not my direct family, rather my GF's sister who gave birth, but in a dreadful year of more setbacks than progression, I'll take any good news that comes my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Some of my family are not here due to covid but all my family are safe and have wonderful video chats and photos coming every few minutes . Thank goodness for technology and that I can use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Congratulations uncle. Is it a boy or child, as the saying goes......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I was driving home last night.
    A section of road that was terrible has been upgraded.
    A great job they did on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

tenor.gif

this gif has made me trivially happy.

I googled chicken wok and not chicken pants, maybe I need a speech therapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Getting decent presents.
    I'm always happy with whatever I get but this year was great.So I'm happy♥️

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Playing with my 9yo on his vr set that Santy brought him. Him doing the Creed boxing game was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Got to attend mass tonight.

Also got the Christmas presents I wanted:

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace and Iron Man on Blu-Ray
    The Sentinel, the latest Jack Reacher novel
    A Time for Mercy by John Grisham
    Here's the Story by Mary McAleese.
    I also got a boxset of all three series of Mrs Brown's Boys

Is A Time For Mercy a new one? I love Grisham and thought I had read all or nearly all of them. But I spotted this testerday in Charlie Byrnes out front where new titles are usually.,if so I didn’t even know he was still writing books!

Charlie Byrne’s in Galway is my TH. The scent of books, the creaky floorboards, the old world feel, the friendly staff.
    I got one on Marilyn Monroe and one called The Road To Woodstock which sounds good.

• Advertisement

A Christmas hamper from over the water! FULL of good things and so welcome! Including a HUGE apple pie... And custard powder

Advertisement