Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese for leaving cert

Options
  • 13-10-2019 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3 AA Batteries

Hello. I am a Junior cert student who would be interested in doing Japanese for Leaving Cert. If anyone who's reading this has done the Japanese Leaving, or just knows about it, I have a few questions;
    1) How do I get my Principle to agree to let me do it? My school does not offer Japanese for
    leaving cert. I would love to drop Irish and pursue Japanese but, given how determined
    the government is to bring back the Irish language, that may not be possible. Also bear in
    mind I have not discussed Japanese with the principal or my parents.
    2) How much do I need to learn? I have already learnt all hiragana and a bit of Katakana,
    but how much Kanji?
    3) What books should I get? I have heard good things about the Genki books and James
    Heisig's remembering kanji but they both carry one hell of a price tag.
    4) Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Or do you have any other tips?
    ありがとうございました!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nothing to do with your Principal.
    You will study it outside school. You just need to tell your Exam Secretary when he/she comes round in 6th year collecting the fees and checking subjects.

Check education.ie for the syllabus and examinations.ie for past papers.

Ideally, search this forum for people who sat it before and ask them how they found it, what books they used etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tristan_

Hi, I'm in 6th year doing Japanese outside school.

The books we use are Nihongo Kantan, plus Hiragana and Katakana Kantan, but the latter two are just for getting a hold of those alphabets.

There are about 100 kanji listed on the syllabus but if you're going for a high grade I'd recommend learning more and using them in the written section.

As spurious said, you don't need to convince your principal, just make sure they know you're doing it so they can facilitate the oral.

As for other advice, if you happen to be based in Dublin or Cork I would highly recommend enrolling in a class run by the post-primary language initiative. It's free apart from the cost of the textbooks, it's taught well and they provide you with additional resources for other outlets such as the JLPT if you so wish to take it.

In terms of the language, have H & K memorised as soon as you can, so you can move on to Kanji and grammar points. Don't forget you have an oral to do so practise speaking the language out loud to get a natural flow. If you're in a class, keep on top of your work and if not try to do a bit every day.

It's a comparatively short course and if you work hard a high grade is very attainable. Feel free to ask me any questions. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AA Batteries

Thank you both for your replies.
    As recommended by Spurious Ill try reach out to someone who has sat the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jen.H

Hi there. I’d just like to start off by saying that it’s a great idea to take up Japanese for the Leaving Certificate. I’ve been tutoring Japanese for the LC for 4 years now, and I’ve seen students who had no Japanese knowledge at all do very well in the final exam after the 2 year course.
    To answer your questions:
    1) You should approach your principal and say that you want to sit the Japanese Leaving Cert paper. They will organize the Oral examination and the written papers in your 6th year.
    2) Having the hiragana and some katakana is a great start! There are 100 kanji you will need to learn for the exam. These 100 are relatively easy to learn if you put the effort in, as they’re very distinctive and their concepts are straightforward.
    3) The prescribed book for the Japanese LC syllabus is Nihongo Kantan by Ursula Zimmermann, which covers all topics that are in the syllabus.
    4) In terms of other tips, try to expose yourself to as much actual Japanese language material (at a beginner level) as possible, especially listening practice. You can also access past papers on examinations.ie
    I HIGHLY recommend you use these as a study aid.

If you would like, you can private message me with any questions you have about the Leaving Cert. I also offer lessons and grinds, but I also produce lesson materials I would be happy to send on to you for free! I’m super enthusiastic about people taking up Japanese in Ireland and would love to help!
    Happy learning!
    Jen

Advertisement