Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tooth Saga - Need Dentist Recommendations

• 13-10-2019 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I went to a new dentist for a check up last February. He was highly recommended by locals in my area. He identified one of my upper pre-molars as needing a filling during the examination. It apparently had decay at the side of the tooth.

I went for the filling and the day he did it he told me it was deep decay and hopefully the following would work. If not I would need a route canal.

In the month after that I became sensitive to heat and cold. Went back and was told I needed the root canal. He claimed he did root canals all the time so I went with him. It wasn’t infected so he told me it would be a simply fix. He did the root canal in late March. It seemed very quick - done in an hour and I was to wait three months to get a crown to make sure he’d gotten all of the nerve.

By May I’d had recurring gum infections around the tooth. Went back in a few times and eventually he admitted that he may have perforated the tooth whilst filling the root canal. Sent me to an endodontist who confirmed there was a hole and she repaired it.

I got the all clear to get a crown the end of August after they confirmed no issues with the repair. I’d no idea who to go to at that stage. I didn’t want to go back to the original dentist given the issues. There endodontist wouldn’t recommend anybody else for me. I don’t know anyone who has a crown and there are very few reviews out there.

I put it on the long finger as there was illness in my family and the tooth cracked last night at the side. The crack was below the gumline so an emergency dentist just filled it. I really need a crown or possibly an implant at this point but I still don’t know where is best to go. I wasn’t enamoured with the emergency dentist either.

I really need advice on who to go to please? It feels like this tooth has been causing issues for ages and I get that a lot of that is my fault but I really just want to get it sorted and not have to think about it again.

All advice and dentist recommendations welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are you sure it was a root canal? Can you even do those in one sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

Are you sure it was a root canal? Can you even do those in one sitting?

It wasn't infected so no abscess or anything. The nerve is gone and that's confirmed by the endodontist as well so it is a root canal albeit a speedily done one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

Where are you based? It will help for recommendations.

Advertisement