Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CO - County Council interviews

• 13-10-2019 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Hey

Like a lot of posters here I am terrible at interviews so much so that I have in the past freaked myself out so much with panic I ended up cancelling on the day.

Anyway coming up with 2 interviews this month for admin role in county council.

I know there are a lot of posts here already but would there recommendations for what to cover. It is competency based interview which I also struggle with but any recommendations for what may specifically be covered in a county council interview I would be grateful.

It is clerical officer role. I have a lot of experience but I find it hard to verbalise in interview.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You'll be asked questions primarily around the examples you gave in the application form. You should be able to prepare this beforehand more or less. You should also have another example of each competency so you can expand on the primary answers if necessary. Have some facts and figures about the council but you shouldn't get asked a great deal of those types of questions

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Has anyone here applied for posts of Assistant Staff Officer in Limerick Co.Co (deadline was in August) or for Staff Officer in Clare Co.Co (deadline was 4th Sept)? Just wondering had applicants had any word on interviews as I haven't heard anything and wary of going on holidays the week after next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

thanks for the feedback. Im in Dublin. I mostly just panic when it comes to interviews so not sure any training can help with that. Was meant to have one yesterday but complete panic so ended up not going. Own fault. Another one soon so my own aim is to turn up and make it into the room

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Hey

Like a lot of posters here I am terrible at interviews so much so that I have in the past freaked myself out so much with panic I ended up cancelling on the day.

Anyway coming up with 2 interviews this month for admin role in county council.

I know there are a lot of posts here already but would there recommendations for what to cover. It is competency based interview which I also struggle with but any recommendations for what may specifically be covered in a county council interview I would be grateful.

It is clerical officer role. I have a lot of experience but I find it hard to verbalise in interview.

I’ve recently accepted a similar position.
    You'll be asked competency based questions-Give an example when....You showed leadership etc
    *Always have more than 1 example for each competency*.
    Give me a PM if you want any more info.

so kind thanks. I have done the whole mock interviews and interview training and doesnt seem to help. Its just full blown panic really. Managed one interview 2 years ago...I knew I wasnt getting it before I even sat down but I turned up and went into the room which I was very proud of. Would never interview in my own work though....been there 16 years and would be too traumatic. The whole competency interviews are still weird to me. Very much like learning stuff off. I know loads of work colleagues who do very well at interviews and use competencies that arent true i.e. their examples are real. I probably think about the competencies too much and should learn to expand the truth a little

• Advertisement

thanks appreciate that. Thats my aim. To simply turn up and go in without panicking. As I said missed out on yesterdays one due to panic so hopefully I can attend the one next week. I dont think interviews have ever gotten easier for me just worse...I am in my 40s so a lot of experience but I cant articulate that in an interviews.

As mentioned above the one thing that trips me up is the competencies which for the most part dont seem to be based on actual experiences...they can also be based on what i would have done/or what I saw someone else do and then rewritten from own point of view. My logical brain explodes with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

thanks appreciate that. Thats my aim. To simply turn up and go in without panicking. As I said missed out on yesterdays one due to panic so hopefully I can attend the one next week. I dont think interviews have ever gotten easier for me just worse...I am in my 40s so a lot of experience but I cant articulate that in an interviews.

As mentioned above the one thing that trips me up is the competencies which for the most part dont seem to be based on actual experiences...they can also be based on what i would have done/or what I saw someone else do and then rewritten from own point of view. My logical brain explodes with this

It’s best not to make up scenarios - the more honest you are, the better you will come across in the interview as you’ll be able to give sensible answers to questions they will ask about the scenarios for each competency. Break each example into STAR format - situation, task, action, result. Give your verbal answer in that format. If you want to add extra flair extend the end to say “and this is how I would apply this skill of xxxx to the new role of xxx”. Practise all your answers at home so you can repeat them when under pressure. Also practice some breathing exercises to use when you panic so you remain calm on the day. Good luck.

It’s best not to make up scenarios - the more honest you are, the better you will come across in the interview as you’ll be able to give sensible answers to questions they will ask about the scenarios for each competency. Break each example into STAR format - situation, task, action, result. Give your verbal answer in that format. If you want to add extra flair extend the end to say “and this is how I would apply this skill of xxxx to the new role of xxx”. Practise all your answers at home so you can repeat them when under pressure. Also practice some breathing exercises to use when you panic so you remain calm on the day. Good luck.

Get a friend/professional to practice went. Before doing my interview i practiced with a friend of mine who is an IT manager so knows what a hiring manager is looking for. Was brilliant.
    No way i would have got my council offer without said practice.

It sounds like you're super nervous- Dont be. With a bit of practice with someone you'll be fine. My interview was only about 20 mins and it flew.

thanks I overthink defo and panic ...I can r emember from my last interview exactly what I did wrong. I was asked ....could you explain how xxxx influences the day the day of xxxxx. My answer was it doesnt and in real life it doesnt and there is no contact. They werent looking for the truth though...they were looking for theory lol

how much detail about the county council itself is required so is it all competencies

thanks I overthink defo and panic ...I can r emember from my last interview exactly what I did wrong. I was asked ....could you explain how xxxx influences the day the day of xxxxx. My answer was it doesnt and in real life it doesnt and there is no contact. They werent looking for the truth though...they were looking for theory lol

how much detail about the county council itself is required so is it all competencies

Look at the info section of the council website. Know what areas the council is responsible for,how it operates, what it does etc

• Advertisement

thanks for all the advice but looks like I am pulling out of the second interview. Nerves are just too much and my blood pressure has sky rocketed. Happens to me soo much so I am envious of anyone who can actually turn up at an interview. I am disappointed in myself but appreciate the replies. In my normal work I work under pressure no worries but interviews i struggle big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

thanks for all the advice but looks like I am pulling out of the second interview. Nerves are just too much and my blood pressure has sky rocketed. Happens to me soo much so I am envious of anyone who can actually turn up at an interview. I am disappointed in myself but appreciate the replies. In my normal work I work under pressure no worries but interviews i struggle big time.

Your own choice on this but I'd recommend doing dummy interviews as this will reduce your anxiety. If you're in Dublin there's plenty of good places. I can recommend Carr communications.

well cant say its my choice really but thanks for the recommendations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Have you spoken to your GP about these issues? They might be able to prescribe something to settle your blood pressure. I think you should go to the interview. If it goes badly you are no worse off than not going, apart from feeling stressed. Everyone feels stressed about interviews, but they are part of life and you need to develop some coping strategies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aunty Anne

well cant say its my choice really but thanks for the recommendations

Please don't talk yourself out of this, you obviously have all the skills and competencies required for this post or they wouldn't have brought you forward this far. The only thing standing in your way is your own confidence!!!! Think back to all the great work you have done, all your successes, all the positive feedback you have received on your projects and channel that confidence. I absolutely hate interviews too and would actually be sick with nerves but over the years I have forced myself to get on with it and now I perform quite well in interviews. Wishing you all the best of luck!!!

Advertisement