Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Abuse?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

I found that so frustrating over there and the irony is the UK education system is dire. Its disgraceful really. My son was in school there until year 5 (3rd class here) when he started here he was so far behind. He is in 5th here now and still playing catch up.
    I had to produce my leaving cert results and uni transcripts for a job once and they accused me of forging the leaving cert results. If they do A levels the avg is 2

I know. I know someone who tried UNI in the UK but was dismayed to find out that everything they were doing in first year she had done in 5th year. Thankfully a place opened up here.

I also have two friends who taught over in the UK. They lamented at the state of things and the poor expectations they have of students.[/QUOTE]

Yes Yes, they are all quite clearly stupid and their university system is a global joke. Yes we all take this post seriously as it is so quite clearly true.

The reality is, when it comes to discussing the british it is the only time I can say I have been around people (and it happened a number of times) where they pretty much advocated genocide on a particular group without even blinking an eyelid.

Actually in a way no things are getting worse.

My godmother is actually the least sensitive person to offense ever and would be quite ..no nonsense to that sort of thing..yet she was telling my mother over the phone a few weeks ago there is a lot of anti Irish sentiment in the UK right now.

Its in the papers and on the radio and some of the tv stations.

The attitude of some people has changed and she has noticed it when dealing with british people who don't know her when they hear her they might say something.

She lives in an old victorian house and works in theater her husband works in production ...she was told recently she had 'sponged' all this off the govt and the attitude is she shouldn't have the right to stay or keep her job after brexit.

Some british people don't seem to get that her and her husband bought their own house paid their own mortgage etc and they have a right to their property and home and jobs.

She would not be a leftie liberal ...and anyone telling Irish jokes etc wouldn't bother her. She is my yard stick ..if SHE says there is anti Irish sentiment ..then there is.

This is so typically Irish. We will instead of note any elephants in the room in our society will instead try and spin it and discuss only bad british on the irish again.

Right through history and through periods of the last century Britain has taken Irish people to work and build lives, this is noted by those here who acknowledge that so many british have Irish ancestry. Britain gave the Irish jobs when Ireland was effectively 3rd world poor and let them rise to become some of the most powerful and rich people in the country.

Ireland doesn't even give a window of a opportunity to anyone sounding like a brot here. The efforts to spin this is fruitless as if anyone has one ounce of sense and is honest then they will know the Irish/British racism thing so so massively top heavy on the Irish side towards the british.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Just spent a few months in the UK.
    No real issues apart from noting that over the year I could see more racist undertones coming up just in general conversation.
    Personally only 3 incidents stand out.
    1. Giant of a guy charged at me screaming he was going to kill me. Middle of the day in a town, never seen a half naked 30st man run as fast, I was almost frozen in fascination wondering if he was going to drop before reaching me.
    2. Snr exec on the client addressing me as “Paddy”...
    3. Work meal out, one of the clients starting replying to everything as I said with “potatooooo” in a thick fake Oirish accent when the married woman he was having an affair with tried to make him jealous, clearly that one worked...

Personally I just laughed them all off and put number two on my internal ignore list. As to number 3, a few days later in the office she was talking about going on a family holiday, first since the newborn, and I calmly turned to the prat and with my best Dougal face asked “sure you’re going too aren’t you?”

Taltos wrote: »
    Just spent a few months in the UK.
    No real issues apart from noting that over the year I could see more racist undertones coming up just in general conversation.
    Personally only 3 incidents stand out.
    1. Giant of a guy charged at me screaming he was going to kill me. Middle of the day in a town, never seen a half naked 30st man run as fast, I was almost frozen in fascination wondering if he was going to drop before reaching me.
    2. Snr exec on the client addressing me as “Paddy”...
    3. Work meal out, one of the clients starting replying to everything as I said with “potatooooo” in a thick fake Oirish accent when the married woman he was having an affair with tried to make him jealous, clearly that one worked...

Personally I just laughed them all off and put number two on my internal ignore list. As to number 3, a few days later in the office she was talking about going on a family holiday, first since the newborn, and I calmly turned to the prat and with my best Dougal face asked “sure you’re going too aren’t you?”

This are beyond tedious and trivial when compared to the daily abuse received by the average brit in ireland...but thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

This are beyond tedious and trivial when compared to the daily abuse received by the average brit in ireland...but thanks.

Nothing tedious or trivial about what they wrote - it was their personal experience - this is what Boards.ie is for.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

anewme wrote: »
    Am on a group holiday...only Irish person...something comes up about electric cars and I say about the plans for Ireland and 2030 bans.

One English person in the group pipes up with..”oh, are you not still all on donkeys?”

I told him I wasn’t putting up with this **** and left the table.

He mentioned the famine earlier at dinner too.

Tour leader taking it as a joke.

Racist abuse or not?
    Should have told him that the Queen was getting a little old for riding around on so we’ve moved on from donkeys. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

It's amazing Irish people are oblivious at just how rude the Irish are to the British who live here

Is that why there are several hundred thousand "British" people living in Ireland - the largest ethnic minority in the country?
    You need to substantiate your statements just a little bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Actually in a way no things are getting worse.

My godmother is actually the least sensitive person to offense ever and would be quite ..no nonsense to that sort of thing..yet she was telling my mother over the phone a few weeks ago there is a lot of anti Irish sentiment in the UK right now.

Its in the papers and on the radio and some of the tv stations. [...]

Some british people don't seem to get that her and her husband bought their own house paid their own mortgage etc and they have a right to their property and home and jobs.

Maybe she was unlucky, but they're isn't a lot of anti Irish sentiment. The Express newspaper is a racist paper so Express readers will have an anti Irish opinion. It blamed all the trouble with brexit on the EU, Ireland and Leo. But they'll also have anti everything opinion (racist, xenophobic, the feminists, leftists etc.) But thats it. It's not in the radio unless there's a UKIP or EDL radio station ahat I don't know about. And anti Irish sentiment wouldn't go unchallenged on any TV shows.

And besides, there are [/]some[/b] Irish people with negative opinions of immigrants and assume they're draining e state in this country too (noel grealish was appealing to them recently)

But the notion that anti Irish sentiment is in any way worse that in the 70s when the British nurses wouldn't work with Irish nurses, is untrue.

I spend a lot of time in the UK and I can tell you it's easier being Irish than any other immigrant. In the North East, so many people have Irish ancestry that they tend to have a very positive attitude to Irish people.

Your aunt has a different experience to me. Maybe it's the area she lives or the people she meets, but I can say for certain that's it's not across the board in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It must be the money that's keeping the UK nationals in Ireland, CSO figures say they are the highest paid nationality here.
    I was in college in Manchester in the early 90s when the IRA were bombing the place, I never got any grief over being Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

"Franz wrote:
    The guy should have been turfed out of the tour group.

!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Seriously though, it's not racist but that kind of 'banter' is designed to belittle, definitely. Just ignore the cnut or call him up on it directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

how is contempt for the criminal activities travellers are involved with Racism ?

Travellers are not a race either.

I despise all criminals, regardless of race, color, creed, etc

So you must despise white, Irish men.
    The vast majority of criminals in Ireland are white, Irish men. You must despise them all.

Seriously though, it's not racist but that kind of 'banter' is designed to belittle, definitely. Just ignore the cnut or call him up on it directly.

Sometimes it is. Sometimes it's the only things people know about Ireland and the Irish. Irish jokes are jokes for people who don't know enough about Ireland to come up with an interesting joke of their own. But it could be just designed to belittle. Some people's humour is nasty and all about belittling.

I spend a lot of time in the uk and I find Irish jokes to be pure jokes by numbers. If someone isn't funny, chances are they'll find Irish jokes funny because it's all they have. So in short, Irish jokes tend to be used by people who don't really get jokes or are uneducated or stupid. Not a great endorsement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Well it's easy to defeat the Brits now, just start talking about Brexit.

You should have said, "sure you lot will be using donkeys after Brexit" in a light hearted manner.

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Is that why there are several hundred thousand "British" people living in Ireland - the largest ethnic minority in the country?

Those stats are based on those who were either born there or hold a UK passport. If you narrow it down to the ones who "have an accent" and are clearly british and their experiences then you will find most are subject to racism all the time.

We are very good a glossing over any criticism of ourselves and playing the victim elsewhere. We have this neediness to be liked everywhere. I have lost count of the amount of times Irish friends have gone out of their way to explain their history in a mixture of hand gestures and broken english to arabs in the middle east to win their approval by bashing the brits and over trying to make the point they are different.

I always looked at it as needy and desperate and must admit people go down a little bit in my estimation when I see such tragic appeasement

Rufeo wrote: »
    Well it's easy to defeat the Brits now, just start talking about Brexit.

You should have said, "sure you lot will be using donkeys after Brexit" in a light hearted manner.

That would just make you look sheepish, stupid and economically illiterate.

It must be the money that's keeping the UK nationals in Ireland, CSO figures say they are the highest paid nationality here.
    I was in college in Manchester in the early 90s when the IRA were bombing the place, I never got any grief over being Irish

UK companies paying the packages for them to be based here perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It’s a pity it wasn’t now or I’d have got great wind up mileage out of Pizza Exoress Woking.

• Advertisement

It’s a pity it wasn’t now or I’d have got great wind up mileage out of Pizza Exoress Woking.

I don't encourage that kind of banter. When people make Irish jokes, I smile and don't make a fuss, but I definitely don't reward them by giving big laughs. I generally move the conversation on pretty quickly and it tends to move things along. Nationality jokes are boring mostly.

When people make Irish jokes it tends to show their ignorance of Ireland. So I tend to try not to make the same mistake of showing up my own ignorance of other nationalities by making jokes that would be boring to anyone who knows about the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Fritzbox wrote: »

maybe he is british with a chip on his shoulder.

Seems everyone who has given some example is dismissed by him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

irish jokes? pfftt its the way ya tell'em

lets have a trip down memory lane with some good old paddywhackery & sexism

courtesy of Mr Benny Hill....

You can’t insult any group on the planet, except the Irish. There’s even far too many Irish these days that think we’re fair game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Am on a group holiday...only Irish person...something comes up about electric cars and I say about the plans for Ireland and 2030 bans.

One English person in the group pipes up with..”oh, are you not still all on donkeys?”

Racist abuse or not?

He won you lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You can’t insult any group on the planet, except the Irish. There’s even far too many Irish these days that think we’re fair game.

Gemma fan?

• Advertisement

He won you lost

Nope.

Gemma fan?

Gemma is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Gemma is?

He means Gemma O'Doherty, the former Irish Independent journalist who has recently re-invented herself as an alt right anti-vaxxer hero or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Gemma is?

As Gemma does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Gemma fan?

How is that relevant to allowing Irish being insulted ?
    Anyone standing up for being Irish , is now okay to be ridiculed ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    How is that relevant to allowing Irish being insulted ?
    Anyone standing up for being Irish , is now okay to be ridiculed ?

There's another thread on the go at this minute which is discussing whether the majority of Irish people are stupid and greedy. Loads of Irish agreeing that the majority of us are in fact stupid and greedy. If an English person said it, some of the same people would be outraged.

But shur, that's how it works I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There's another thread on the go at this minute which is discussing whether the majority of Irish people are stupid and greedy. Loads of Irish agreeing that the majority of us are in fact stupid and greedy. If an English person said it, some of the same people would be outraged.

that is how it works. If i call myself a c*nt, that's fine. If somebody else calls me that then that isn't fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There have always been eejits like that.
    In 1985, I was in the DDR on a group tour with my (then still at school) sister. A middle aged woman from England was chatting to her at breakfast about the subjects she did at school.

Sister -'English, Irish, Maths, Science, French, History...etc.'
    English woman - 'Oh Irish Maths, is that like 2 and 2 are 3?'
    Sister - 'Pardon?'
    English woman- 'Oh you know, Irish Maths.....'
    Sister - 'But Maths is the same in all countries'
    English woman - 'Yes I know'

Cue silence at table.

Always best let these fools embarrass themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Thankfully I've never met one Irish person who would defend that type of behaviour.
    I've seen them on Boards. Regularly "Paddy this and that".
    fryup wrote: »
    yep, a british person in particular english would get a much harder time of it over here than an irish person in the UK
    A much harder time of it? That's some statement - you can back it up I take it?
    Things i have heard I would genuinely fear if I was a unionist in the north with a united ireland looming. Their views are dismissed altogether and always countered with things along the lines of "they shouldn't be there" or "who gives a f$ck what they think"
    Well that all sounds very much like what significant chunks of the unionist community say about the nationalist community, and have done for decades.
    This is so typically Irish.
    Oh yes, sweeping statements about what's "typically Irish" is fine?
    Are you for real? One guy actually physically charged at him but you sneerily dismiss it as tedious and trivial and then compare it to something you guess but don't have actual evidence for?

Also, why did you dismiss the anecdotes about the Irish nurses in England in the 70s? Another one - an Irish woman living in Birmingham when the IRA bomb went off... her neighbours stopped speaking to her. Then when they found out her two sons were among the murdered, she was all right again. All it took for them not to blame her for an atrocity due to her nationality... was her two children being murdered. Nothing justifies that kind of bigoted idiocy.

Now to be clear, I absolutely despise anti British bigotry (said as much on an earlier post to this thread) - I think it's nasty, imbecilic, ignorant, hypocritical, and laughable from people who follow Premiership teams and consume oceans of other British culture (I'd need more evidence of the constant abuse you and fryup talk about. I know it happens, "the Irish" are not all as oblivious as you say - and it's vile - but I remain to be convinced that it happens to the extent you describe). Britain is a fantastic country which has contributed so much culturally. It's also extremely diverse so talk of this monolithic "empire" today is nonsense. And among this massive diverse group of people are many many Irish. And you're right - Britain did provide a haven for so many Irish people who needed work, and who went on to build a home for themselves over there.

But that doesn't make anti Irish bigotry something to be dismissed/accepted because "whatabout". No need to be forelock tugging to our "betters".

It also doesn't make the self flagellating inferiority complex on display from Irish people here justified either. And that's what your posts look like. Same with fryup's. Just a pile of "we are inferior and need to get over bigotry, but other bigotry is wrong." Also, let up on the "we" stuff and "the Irish" and speak for yourself. It makes no sense when you claim to be so opposed to sweeping generalisations.

Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Racist abuse or not?

Get a fire cracker or squib and throw it under his car seat when he's leaving. Then just smirk.

That’s exactly how it works.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I've seen them on Boards. Regularly "Paddy this and that".

A much harder time of it? That's some statement - you can back it up I take it?

Well that all sounds very much like what significant chunks of the unionist community say about the nationalist community, and have done for decades.

Oh yes, sweeping statements about what's "typically Irish" is fine?

Are you for real? One guy actually physically charged at him but you sneerily dismiss it as tedious and trivial and then compare it to something you guess but don't have actual evidence for?

Also, why did you dismiss the anecdotes about the Irish nurses in England in the 70s? Another one - an Irish woman living in Birmingham when the IRA bomb went off... her neighbours stopped speaking to her. Then when they found out her two sons were among the murdered, she was all right again. All it took for them not to blame her for an atrocity due to her nationality... was her two children being murdered. Nothing justifies that kind of bigoted idiocy.

Now to be clear, I absolutely despise anti British bigotry (said as much on an earlier post to this thread) - I think it's nasty, imbecilic, ignorant, hypocritical, and laughable from people who follow Premiership teams and consume oceans of other British culture (I'd need more evidence of the constant abuse you and fryup talk about. I know it happens, "the Irish" are not all as oblivious as you say - and it's vile - but I remain to be convinced that it happens to the extent you describe). Britain is a fantastic country which has contributed so much culturally. It's also extremely diverse so talk of this monolithic "empire" today is nonsense. And among this massive diverse group of people are many many Irish. And you're right - Britain did provide a haven for so many Irish people who needed work, and who went on to build a home for themselves over there.

But that doesn't make anti Irish bigotry something to be dismissed/accepted because "whatabout". No need to be forelock tugging to our "betters".

It also doesn't make the self flagellating inferiority complex on display from Irish people here justified either. And that's what your posts look like. Same with fryup's. Just a pile of "we are inferior and need to get over bigotry, but other bigotry is wrong." Also, let up on the "we" stuff and "the Irish" and speak for yourself. It makes no sense when you claim to be so opposed to sweeping generalisations.

You strike me as the kind of person who will try to twist it and refuse to take no acknowledgement no matter what is presented to you. You strike me as very much part of the problem.

You would justify any gripe a "brit" may raise we a counterclaim dating back as many centuries as it took to justify it in your head and your like minded audience.

I, as an Irishman clearly have a different view to you. I never noticed to any significant level the anti irish comments many he talk about but have noticed the anti british stuff to frightening levels of both abuse and violent behaviour.
    I could not possibly imagine in 2019 that the sound of an Irish accent could tip someone into an hysterical rage like it could with some sections of society here.

Op here. So I can only post for myself in starting this thread.

I've posted an update that the guy on hols was an arse with a superiority complex.

He ended up being barred from Restaurants for his lack of manners and also nearly ended up being punched by an African lad. I'd say hes blacklisted by the tour group.

In relation to the other thread, are the majority of Irish people stupid and greedy? I'd also think that is a load of generalised crap too.

I reckon people are individuals and some people would let themselves be put down by anyone, whereas others would pull you up over any of that and not tolerate it at all. That was clear from the English guys interactions on the trip. Sone people were annoyed but said nothing, but others objected on the spot and would not suffer him at all. That's not unique to being Irish though. It's a person thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Would people start getting the vibe of racism correctly.Racism is about discrimination of others of color.If a white brit makes off the cuff remarks about white Irish, thats not racism. That is just being a peckhead, I'm sick of people throwing this whole racism tag where it doesn't belong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Racist abuse or not?

You could of made a few wise cracks about the English back to him. This is called banter. Some people just love to think they're being abused.

Would people start getting the vibe of racism correctly.Racism is about discrimination of others of color.If a white brit makes off the cuff remarks about white Irish, thats not racism. That is just being a peckhead, I'm sick of people throwing this whole racism tag where it doesn't belong.

Maybe in your head it is but obviously someone informed you incorrectly years ago and you’ve clung on to the idea.

Already answered many times in this thread. Race is not just about colour.

Irish and English are different ethically, so racism does apply.

"Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another. It may also mean prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against other people because they are of a different race or ethnicity."

You strike me as the kind of person who will try to twist it and refuse to take no acknowledgement no matter what is presented to you.
    Why? Nothing I wrote indicates that whatsoever. What you've described above is actually applicable to you. Below you twist what I've said and you don't acknowledge various points/questions that I put to you.
    You strike me as very much part of the problem.

You would justify any gripe a "brit" may raise we a counterclaim dating back as many centuries as it took to justify it in your head and your like minded audience.
    You either didn't read my post fully or ignored chunks. I acknowledged anti British sentiment without hesitation and gave my (unflattering) view of it as well as my appreciation for British culture. Wtf? You're literally making stuff up that doesn't apply to me due to simply disliking my post. And my post is in response to things you said yourself. It's not just stuff I've invented.
    I, as an Irishman clearly have a different view to you. I never noticed to any significant level the anti irish comments many he talk about but have noticed the anti british stuff to frightening levels of both abuse and violent behaviour.
    I could not possibly imagine in 2019 that the sound of an Irish accent could tip someone into an hysterical rage like it could with some sections of society here.
    What? You haven't experienced anti Irish bigotry so therefore it doesn't happen? It has happened - like to the nurses you weirdly dismissed. Yeah thankfully it's nothing like it was but I still don't understand your sneery dismissal of the person who said they were charged at. No need to dismiss it at all. It, like anti British abuse (which no way do I believe occurs as constantly as you like to think it does, but that doesn't mean I think it never happens or that I would dismiss it when it does) is unacceptable. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

You could of made a few wise cracks about the English back to him. This is called banter. Some people just love to think they're being abused.

Insulting strangers is not "banter."

Even between friends, you need to be careful as it can end in a row.

Have seen cases in work where bullying has been reported. Strangely enough, the person accused of bullying always defines it as banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Insulting strangers is not "banter."

Even between friends, you need to be careful as it can end in a row.

Have seen cases in work where bullying has been reported. Strangely enough, the person accused of bullying always defines it as banter.

Alot of people wouldn't even understand banter nowadays, to quick and only to pleased to think someone is abusing them. There some friends if you have to be careful what you say round them, must be a nightmare when you're out together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Shady Grady this is a thread to discuss abuse, not post abuse at other users.

Some posts have been deleted.

Alot of people wouldn't even understand banter nowadays, to quick and only to pleased to think someone is abusing them. There some friends if you have to be careful what you say round them, must be a nightmare when you're out together.

Nothing to do with nowadays.

One guy in our group was a fairly big guy and someone else kept having the "banter" with him over his weight. One night the guy had enough with the constant soagging and the "banterer" was decked.

That was over 30 years ago.

You really dont know what's going on in people's heads or lives.

Hard to read... but anyway, yeah it's true there are folk who don't understand what banter is. Like you saying this was banter when it wasn't. It was someone not being jokey - but being an arsehole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Racist abuse or not?

We're a "race" now are we?! ****ing hell!

1- "We haven't been ridign Donkeys since the Brit's left, unless you count yer ma!"

2 - "You know how many potatoes it takes to kill an Irish man? None!"

I hate to call people snowflakes, but you;re not making it easy....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement