Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Abuse?

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

He won you lost
    Who won/lost what?
    Gemma fan?
    Why would they be a fan of her?

Silly posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Hard to read... but anyway, yeah it's true there are folk who don't understand what banter is. Like you saying this was banter when it wasn't. It was someone not being jokey - but being an arsehole.

So he was an arsehole.not a racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Was over in England about 20 years ago and had to get my car fixed, so brought it down to the garage. Conversation went like this:

Mechanic: Oh I'd better check if there's a bomb in it.
    Me: Why so?
    Mechanic: Well, you know, its an Irish car. (Had an Irish reg)
    Me: You know the troubles where in Northern Ireland?
    Mechanic: Yeah, so?
    Me: So the car would have a British reg if it was from NI.
    Mechanic: Oh, yeah..

Feckin idiot....

We're a "race" now are we?! ****ing hell!

1- "We haven't been ridign Donkeys since the Brit's left, unless you count yer ma!"

2 - "You know how many potatoes it takes to kill an Irish man? None!"

I hate to call people snowflakes, but you;re not making it easy....
    What on earth is this attitude you have in your posts about?

I know you endlessly go on about how sh1t the Irish are except for you but why say "We're a race now are we? ****ing hell"? Seriously, what is the purpose of that? Does it really require swearing? It surely isn't that shocking now is it? I wonder why people just keep wilfully ignoring the explanation for "racist" here.

And why is it ok that the guy, a stranger, was being so rude? I mean you'd agree with objections if the OP was from, say, India and he made such an ignorant crack.

So he was an arsehole.not a racist.
    Yeah tbh I wouldn't call it racism (I don't think there is a need to sneer at the OP either though) but he wasn't just having a laugh. The OP gave plenty more context to confirm that.

It was a bit prejudiced imo but moreso just rude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What on earth is this attitude you have in your posts about?

I know you endlessly go on about how sh1t the Irish are except for you but why say "We're a race now are we? ****ing hell"? Seriously, what is the purpose of that? Does it really require swearing? It surely isn't that shocking now is it? I wonder why people just keep wilfully ignoring the explanation for "racist" here.

Yes, it does because it's a ****ing stupid comment, in the same way discribing Islam as a race is ****ing stupid. Seriously - people don't know the differences between race, ethnicity and nationality.

The "attitude" you talk about is honest realism: we are not, as we like to believe, God's gift to humanity. There are - amazingly enough - people who don't care much for people who are Irish. We're not entitled to anything. It's not anything special. We're like little kids who have been told we're special, we're unique, people love us and then we encounter something contrary - we can't handle it. It's "racist"!

Christ - you sound like a bloody social justice warrior! Hence the "snowflake" comparison.

And why is it ok that the guy, a stranger, was being so rude? I mean you'd agree with objections if the OP was from, say, India and he made such an ignorant crack.

Re-read the post and stop strawmanning. I never said "rude". It is rude. But being rude is commonplace these days. How do you deal with it?

By being smarter. By not giving a ****. And by being being witty and putting them down with humorous burns.

(Or by whinging about it on an internet forum and running away from the butthurt, apparently)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Yes, it does because it's a ****ing stupid comment, in the same way discribing Islam as a race is ****ing stupid. Seriously - people don't know the differences between race, ethnicity and nationality.

The "attitude" you talk about is honest realism: we are not, as we like to believe, God's gift to humanity. There are - amazingly enough - people who don't care much for people who are Irish. We're not entitled to anything. It's not anything special. We're like little kids who have been told we're special, we're unique, people love us and then we encounter something contrary - we can't handle it. It's "racist"!

Christ - you sound like a bloody social justice warrior! Hence the "snowflake" comparison.

Re-read the post and stop strawmanning. I never said "rude". It is rude. But being rude is commonplace these days. How do you deal with it?

By being smarter. By not giving a ****. And by being being witty and putting them down with humorous burns.

(Or by whinging about it on an internet forum and running away from the butthurt, apparently)

You actually don’t know what racism is either. Look it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Would people start getting the vibe of racism correctly.Racism is about discrimination of others of color.If a white brit makes off the cuff remarks about white Irish, thats not racism. That is just being a peckhead, I'm sick of people throwing this whole racism tag where it doesn't belong.

The dictionary description of ‘racism’...

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

It’s not limited to being against people of color.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

(Or by whinging about it on an internet forum and running away from the butthurt, apparently)[/quote]

Not whinging if you read my post.

Asking for others opinions.

Its an opinions forum after all.

I'm quite a direct person and could immediately anhiliate the person and tell him a few home truths. Theres no going back from that though as words once said, cant be unsaid. There are others to consider.

Better to walk away if you are likely to say something you could regret.

Re-read the post and stop strawmanning. I never said "rude". It is rude. But being rude is commonplace these days. How do you deal with it.

That might be your approch, not everyone's.

People like this guy are horrendous bores and not to be pandered to by being "witty ". Its just cringeworthy tit for tat.

Best not to engage and bore a hole through everyone else as well.

There comes a point in life when
    "I'm not listening to this ****"
    is more impactful than numerous "witty" comments about yer Ma on a Donkey.

I've no interest in one of those unfunny "conversations" and I dont think anyone in the group would be either.

• Advertisement

What do you have to be so aggressive and downright nasty for? There is more to the term "racism" as repeatedly outlined on this thread.
    What on earth is this about? Who likes to believe that we are God's gift to humanity or entitled to anything (like what?) Be a bit more specific than "we" (god that word really gets stupidly misused).

How about... we aren't special, we aren't unique, not everyone loves us... we are just people, with all kinds of traits, like the people of anywhere. And therefore it's moronic to make sweeping statements about us (as with anyone), particularly by people who are also us (what a bunch of simpering self loathers) and bigoted comments about us aren't ok and there's no need to be dismissive about them, particularly by people who object to bigoted comments about others.

I didn't say you said "rude" :confused: but anyway, that weird unnecessary hostility again. Shur it's only a bunch of thick paddies I suppose. Who ran away btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You actually don’t know what racism is either. Look it up.
    Strumms wrote: »
    The dictionary description of ‘racism’...

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

It’s not limited to being against people of color.

Race - the idea that the human species is divided into distinct groups on the basis of inherited physical and behavioral differences

Would someone like to tell me what specicic "inherited physical and behavioural differences" the Irish have compared to, say, the British? Or other European "races"?

Race - the idea that the human species is divided into distinct groups on the basis of inherited physical and behavioral differences

Would someone like to tell me what specicic "inherited physical and behavioural differences" the Irish have compared to, say, the British? Or other European "races"?

That’s ‘race’, look up ‘racism’.

anewme wrote: »
    That might be your approch, not everyone's.

People like this guy are horrendous bores and not to be pandered to by being "witty ". Its just cringeworthy tit for tat.

Best not to engage and bore a hole through everyone else as well.

Not disagreeing with you, but that's not the same as "racist abuse". Or any other type, either.
    What do you have to be so aggressive and downright nasty for? There is more to the term "racism" as repeatedly outlined on this thread.

What on earth is this about? Who likes to believe that we are God's gift to humanity or entitled to anything (like what?) Be a bit more specific than "we" (god that word really gets stupidly misused).

How about... we aren't special, we aren't unique, not everyone loves us... we are just people, with all kinds of traits, like the people of anywhere. And therefore it's moronic to make sweeping statements about us (as with anyone), particularly by people who are also us (what a bunch of simpering self loathers) and bigoted comments about us aren't ok and there's no need to be dismissive about them, particularly by people who object to bigoted comments about others.

I didn't say you said "rude" :confused: but anyway, that weird unnecessary hostility again. Shur it's only a bunch of thick paddies I suppose. Who ran away btw?

My argument wasn't that he was "rude" so pointing that he was rude wasn't necessary. Same with "thick padddies" - your words not mine, so I'm not commenting on it.

As to why the strength of my argument? I just hate snowflakery, that's all. Someone offended someone's nationality - it's not like the offended you personally. As Stephen Fry said, "so you're offended? Right. Well so ****ing what?"

Not disagreeing with you, but that's not the same as "racist abuse". Or any other type, either.

My argument wasn't that he was "rude" so pointing that he was rude wasn't necessary. Same with "thick padddies" - your words not mine, so I'm not commenting on it.
    As to why the strength of my argument? I just hate snowflakery, that's all.

People are idiots. People are rude. Deal with it.

Using the word "snowflakery" would show we are very different people.

And would react very differently to circumstances.

Oh dear.

Oh dear.
    If an Indian person experienced something similar, they wouldn't get half the sneering you are getting here. But the Irish are fair game because they think everyone loves them. Or something.

If an Indian person experienced something similar, they wouldn't get half the sneering you are getting here. But the Irish are fair game because they think everyone loves them. Or something.

I asked for opinions initially being on my own fairly far away and thankfully received enough opinions from posters whose opinions I would respect, value and align with. Which I was hoping for and really do appreciate.

The rest is really just "snowflakery".

I asked for opinions initially being on my own fairly far away and thankfully received enough opinions from posters whose opinions I would respect, value and align with. Which I was hoping for and really do appreciate.

The rest is really just "snowflakery".

That's unfortunate because the above reads like you were looking for people to confirm your opinions, and anyone who didn't was dismissed.

The guy was being an ass. Plenty of that going around from all sources of nationality including the Irish, or British. I wouldn't consider it racism, just ignorance and stupidity. If you want to experience actual racism, spend some time in Africa or Asia, where they will judge you on your race.

I think anewme just means the posts that sneer at and dismiss her - not respectful disagreement.

That's unfortunate because the above reads like you were looking for people to confirm your opinions, and anyone who didn't was dismissed.

The guy was being an ass. Plenty of that going around from all sources of nationality including the Irish, or British. I wouldn't consider it racism, just ignorance and stupidity. If you want to experience actual racism, spend some time in Africa or Asia, where they will judge you on your race.

I'm long past " snowflakery" and "banter".

Take that as it's meant.

There are a number of posters, who I respect, even if their opinions do not concur with mine. I was hoping for some of these and thanks to those who posted. I take these posters as having good common sense and value their opinions good or bad as being balanced.

At the end if the day, you make your own call and I made the call on the night not to engage with this guy.
    Six weeks later, I feel the same.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

At the end if the day, you make your own call and I made the call on the night not to engage with this guy.

if you feel someone is acting the maggot regardless of their nationality, color, race sex creed etc you have every right to distance yourself.
    Sounds like he is a right spaz

Oh dear.

Ad homeinem.

So what is the difference between you getting upset over a nationlist jibe and someone who gets easily offended by someone when the decide to misread something as racist?

I'm long past " snowflakery" and "banter".

Take that as it's meant.

There are a number of posters, who I respect, even if their opinions do not concur with mine. I was hoping for some of these and thanks to those who posted. I take these posters as having good common sense and value their opinions good or bad as being balanced.

But you still posted this, proving that, six weeks later, you are still engaging with the incident.
    Am on a group holiday...only Irish person...something comes up about electric cars and I say about the plans for Ireland and 2030 bans.

One English person in the group pipes up with..”oh, are you not still all on donkeys?”

I told him I wasn’t putting up with this **** and left the table.

He mentioned the famine earlier at dinner too.

Tour leader taking it as a joke.

Racist abuse or not?

Ad homeinem.

So what is the difference between you getting upset over a nationlist jibe and someone who gets easily offended by someone when the decide to misread something as racist?

Your use of the term "snowflakery" sums it up.

I don't think I would have anything in common ever with a person using that type of phrasing. it really would be hard to take them seriously.

Your use of the term "snowflakery" sums it up.

I don't think I would have anything in common ever with a person using that type of phrasing. it really would be hard to take them seriously.

Saying the same thing again doesn't answer the question.

Saying the same thing again doesn't answer the question.

It does for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

It does it for me.

What else does it for you?

Wait don’t answer.

Having rows on boards about women’s rights.

BDI wrote: »
    What else does it for you?

Wait don’t answer.

Having rows on boards about women’s rights.
    Oh ffs. Anewme's point is really being proven. Like what on earth relevance does the above thing have to this thread? She objects to misogyny elsewhere - the fiend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Yes it's racist

No. It's just being a dick.

• Advertisement

Oh ffs. Anewme's point is really being proven. Like what on earth relevance does the above thing have to this thread? She objects to misogyny elsewhere - the fiend.

I’ll set up a thread asking if raconteuse needs a nap. Most people will agree thinking she is abit on edge. Two people will vehemently defend her position to stay up all night but be too afraid to speak to her in person .

I think he s slagging, but yes I'm very anti misogyny and it's not relevant in this thread.

I think he s slagging, but yes I'm very anti misogyny and it's not relevant in this thread.
    Says more about him. What a bizarre axe to grind.

Says more about him. What a bizarre axe to grind.

So a nap is out of the question then?

It does for me.

Eh, no - that's not how questions and answers work...

Anyway, I've proven you were overly-sensitive about the issue and you're now produced three straight logical fallacies and no defense rebuttal.

QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Would people start getting the vibe of racism correctly.Racism is about discrimination of others of color.If a white brit makes off the cuff remarks about white Irish, thats not racism. That is just being a peckhead, I'm sick of people throwing this whole racism tag where it doesn't belong.

There in lies the issue. I have seen numerous cases of bullying against Eastern Europeans etc. As it is white on white bullying it is not treated with the same seriousness as if it was white against a person of colour

• Advertisement

Eh, no - that's not how questions and answers work...

Anyway, I've proven you were overly-sensitive about the issue and you're now produced three straight logical fallacies and no defense rebuttal.

QED.

It's not mandatory that a person posting a thread has to answer to YOU for you to judge on your "snowflakeometer" as to the level of "snowflakery" according to you.

It is not a word that an adult would use and could expect to be taken seriously and no offence, but I would not be answering questions to someone with that kind of childish logic.

As I said previously, am happy with how it played out.

There in lies the issue. I have seen numerous cases of bullying against Eastern Europeans etc. As it is white on white bullying it is not treated with the same seriousness as if it was white against a person of colour

It is still racism though and I do see cases like these being called out more and more for what they are and proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Youre meant to fire back. Not run off offended.

Theres endless material for the brits. Brexit references. Their pedo prince. Only country to lose to us. Lost empire, the irony of Londonistan and so on.

Too easy.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

20Wheel wrote: »
    Youre meant to fire back. Not run off offended.

Theres endless material for the brits. Brexit references. Their pedo prince. Only country to lose to us. Lost empire, the irony of Londonistan and so on.

Too easy.

Who says you are meant to fire off?

No one ran off offended.

Just told him directly but bluntly I did not come here to listen to this left his company. Message was sent loud and clear. To him. Only. Walking away calmly is better than lowering to his level.

As I said earlier, there were some lovely English people in Company. Why would you belittle them and make them feel uncomfortable because of him?

They were embarrassed enough over him as it was which only got worse as the week went on and he insulted more and more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Who says you are meant to fire off?

No one ran off offended.

Just told him directly but bluntly I did not come here to listen to this left his company. Message was sent loud and clear. To him. Only. Walking away calmly is better than lowering to his level.

As I said earlier, there were some lovely English people in Company. Why would you belittle them and make them feel uncomfortable because of him?

They were embarrassed enough over him as it was which only got worse as the week went on and he insulted more and more people.

Yeah but you changed what you were doing because of him.
    Better to ruin it for everyone. Kamikaze and scorched earth all round.

Burn the oil wells.

Samson protocol.

Elliott Roger > You.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Why? Nothing I wrote indicates that whatsoever. What you've described above is actually applicable to you. Below you twist what I've said and you don't acknowledge various points/questions that I put to you.

You either didn't read my post fully or ignored chunks. I acknowledged anti British sentiment without hesitation and gave my (unflattering) view of it as well as my appreciation for British culture. Wtf? You're literally making stuff up that doesn't apply to me due to simply disliking my post. And my post is in response to things you said yourself. It's not just stuff I've invented.

What? You haven't experienced anti Irish bigotry so therefore it doesn't happen? It has happened - like to the nurses you weirdly dismissed. Yeah thankfully it's nothing like it was but I still don't understand your sneery dismissal of the person who said they were charged at. No need to dismiss it at all. It, like anti British abuse (which no way do I believe occurs as constantly as you like to think it does, but that doesn't mean I think it never happens or that I would dismiss it when it does) is unacceptable. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

You may not believe it but I can tell you it happens a multitude of times more then the Irish get abuse in the UK. You could not even begin to compare the two in 2019.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

n your opinion.

You say it like its some sort of fact, which it is not.
    You have been given multiple examples by people on here and fisregarded them all because they did not suit your agenda.
    Does it happen, yes, is it as common as you make out...No, and that is the opinion of most on here.

Advertisement