Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Aerial?

• 13-10-2019 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have no sky dish and satellite/aerial on roof. I am running my Tv off my internet which is by no means reliable. I live in Dundalk town. If I was to buy a indoor aerial would this pick up saorview channels and UK FTA channels?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

dmcguq10 wrote: »
    I have no sky dish and satellite/aerial on roof. I am running my Tv off my internet which is by no means reliable. I live in Dundalk town. If I was to buy a indoor aerial would this pick up saorview channels and UK FTA channels?

Who knows? The broadcasters recommend outdoor aerials for a reason. Receiving out of area foreign channels would certainly require something better than an indoor aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

dmcguq10 wrote: »

Saorview (Irish channels) - yes, almost without a shadow of a doubt as the transmitter is only up near Ravensdale and its signal is incredibly strong.

Freeview (UK channels) - possibly, possibly not, and gets more likely the further north you are. If it does work, it'll likely only be the main 15 or so BBC, ITV and Channel 4/5 channels from the Camlough transmitter near Newry.

An outdoor aerial would be better for the UK channels, but it shouldn't need to be an overly large one or overly high up. When I lived in Dundalk, I could flawlessly receive all the 70+ UK channels from the Divis transmitter in Belfast with a very small, cheap unamplified outdoor aerial (this one from Screwfix in Newry is what I had) designed for caravans, tied to a balcony, pointing in the rough general direction of Belfast.

You don't want any of the expensive amplified or fancy looking indoor aerials - the best type are the cheaper types that look a bit like a miniature outdoor aerial.

Advertisement