Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max hrs in a 7 day period?

Options
  • 13-10-2019 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I work 169 hrs a month. I work in a residential car home. I work night and days, a mix. I had a week's holidays this month but my roster says I'm still working 168 hrs in the month. There really is only one 7 day period I'm not happy with.
    Wednesday 9pm to 9am
    Friday 9am to 11pm then sleep in the house until 7am which I'm paid 80 hour, then work 7am to 9pm
    Saturday I'll go home
    Sunday I work 9am to 11pm and again sleep over in the house, until 7am and work until 9pm Monday.
    Tuesday I'm back at 9am until 9pm
    So from Wednesday to Tuesday I'll work 80hrs.
    I'll do 4 14 hr shifts in a row, and 2 sleep overs in the house.
    Is citizens advice the place to go?
    I was told the house is short staffed. I have just had a paid weeks holidays. I'm there since February this year.
    I'm just wondering is it legal the hours I'm being asked to work. Also can I refuse to do my full compliment of hours in a 4 week period when I've had a week off during thst period.
    I have emailed my boss to say I'm not able to do thst many hours as I find the work quite draining with a normal working weeks hrs as is.
    I was told I can always ask others to do my hrs.
    But the back to back 14 hrs days with sleep over aren't as you can imagine popular, and also it would need be a person who is a male member of staff and also someone who is off. Also everyone is already doing a lot of hrs and we get texts daily asking can anyone do an extra shift.
    And also, I don't feel it is my job to find other staff to do hrs I've been giving well above my normal allocation.
    I was told they d look into it Monday when I'm back.
    I don't really want to be an ass and quote laws etc. I just said it was too much for me to be able to do. But I'd not mind knowing what the law is and we're I stand just in case I need to know.
    Any advice or pointing me to where I might find advice would be great. I'm off Tuesday so might drop into a citizen's advice centre. Any where else worth checking, I read a bit of employment law but find it tricky to understand.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ok your numbers don't make sense wh were are you doing four 14 hour shifts in a row?

Working time act averages time out over four months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Stheno wrote: »
    Ok your numbers don't make sense wh were are you doing four 14 hour shifts in a row?

I think what he's saying is that he still has 168 hours this month despite also having a weeks leave (i.e.he should only be doing 128 ish..)

Sounds strange to me OP and unless the hours are averaged out in the coming weeks / month or two then it sounds like you should be owed 40 hours / your weeks leave in overtime.

Clarify it with whoever does your wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Isn't it basically 60hrs max a week but 48hrs a week average over the 4 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Sorry messy post.
    Thursday 14hrs 9am to 11pm and sleep in care home 11pm to 7am
    Friday 14hrs 7am to 9pm. Plus go home.
    Saturday 14 hrs 9am to 11pm and sleep in care home.
    Sunday 14hrs 7am to 9pm.
    Monday 12hrs day 9am to 9pm.
    Also we get 1 hr break during these shifts but are not let leave the house or neglect the person we're caring for. Meaning we really don't get a break. You can go sit in your car or go walk off down the road. We are paid for the breaks though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

gsi300024v wrote: »
    Sorry messy post.
    Thursday 14hrs 9am to 11pm and sleep in care home 11pm to 7am
    Friday 14hrs 7am to 9pm. Plus go home.
    Saturday 14 hrs 9am to 11pm and sleep in care home.
    Sunday 14hrs 7am to 9pm.
    Monday 12hrs day 9am to 9pm.
    Also we get 1 hr break during these shifts but are not let leave the house or neglect the person we're caring for. Meaning we really don't get a break. You can go sit in your car or go walk off down the road. We are paid for the breaks though.

That's different from your first post where you go home Saturday?

Can you split the seven days into two weeks from Sunday to Saturday?

• Advertisement

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Isn't it basically 60hrs max a week but 48hrs a week average over the 4 months ?

Op is posting over two weeks if you say the week starts Sunday for example

And does the working hours act apply to care homes or is that an exception?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Op is posting over two weeks if you say the week starts Sunday for example

And does the working hours act apply to care homes or is that an exception?

I'm not sure on the exemption,but if care homes are not exempt from the Working Time Directive then what the OP has posted about sleeping in the workplace and breaks not actually being breaks is breaking the law.

Like you said it's averaged over 4 months (I actually think it's 3 but not 100%sure)
    The OP could work 60 hrs a week for a few weeks as long as the 4mth average is 48.

I'm actually more concerned about their rest periods.

Advertisement