Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a move to Wexford town from the UK

Options
  • 14-10-2019 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Dear local readers

Sorry for the long post!

Myself , the Mrs and our son (23) are making plans settle in the Wexford town area by the end of 2020 following a couple of booked visits in the spring and summer to familiarise ourselves with the people and places and lifestyle in general
    My parents both come from the county and I wish to bring back the family to its roots now a window of opportunity has finally arisen, this being the Mrs wants to move out of our very small town/village as thousands of new houses are being built thus ruining what was a nice low key community village near a small town.
    We are in our early 50,s and hold Irish passports.
    question is, as Brits would we feel welcome and be able settle in.gairly quickly, my wife is a one 2 one dog groomer working from our converted garage and is always booked solid in advance also being a very kind and animal loving person her grooming services are in demand especially when it comes to rescued dogs or pooches that need some extra tlc or who have had bad experiences with other groomers, if we set up a home with a similar setup, (we will do the research of course) but we wonder if she could make a small living in Wexford , would there be enough customers to go around? to give her 3-5 pooches a day , Monday to Saturday?
    We intend to rent for a while then buy a detached house or bungalow near enough to town to attract customers for her grooming.
    My son has just qualified in mental care support/physciatry and hopes to set up a practice/consultation rooms in town, within 2 years, he will like teach/assist with training to take on some help.
    We are not wealthy folk but we are easy going, and fairly self sufficient and dept free, seeking to continue with the fairly simple life we have here in Wexford
    what do you think ? we,d appreciate any insight, comments and personal views be it positive or negative, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

You will be welcomed here. There is no animosity towards British. Nothing to fear on that front.

There is a couple of grooming salons around Wexford town, so there must be a demand for the service.

Will you son's qualifications be recognised internationally after Brexit.

Everyone is respected whether you are the centre of attention, or keep to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mcklan

quote="Ted_YNWA;111509961"]You will be welcomed here. There is no animosity towards British. Nothing to fear on that front.

There is a couple of grooming salons around Wexford town, so there must be a demand for the service.

Will you son's qualifications be recognised internationally after Brexit.

Everyone is respected whether you are the centre of attention, or keep to yourself.[/quote]

Thank you Ted for your insight and reassurance
    yes his qualifications are universal
    we push on with making this move a reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

While being from the UK will not be a problem, you will need to work at being accepted into the local community. It might take a little time but don't be put off, this happens with most outsiders, even those from the next county. Join everything you can, your neighbours will soon get used to seeing you around.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueskys

Wouldn't worry about being British or having an english accent at all. Lots of brits in wexford and most families from what i know would have relatives in the UK. Might be different if ye were dubs! (joke). If you are thinking about dog grooming business pop into the local vets when you are over and suss out demand. Wexford Town is pretty laidback and welcoming as a whole, plus having great coastline closeby is a huge bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Mcklan wrote: »
    Dear local readers

Sorry for the long post!

Myself , the Mrs and our son (23) are making plans settle in the Wexford town area by the end of 2020 following a couple of booked visits in the spring and summer to familiarise ourselves with the people and places and lifestyle in general
    My parents both come from the county and I wish to bring back the family to its roots now a window of opportunity has finally arisen, this being the Mrs wants to move out of our very small town/village as thousands of new houses are being built thus ruining what was a nice low key community village near a small town.
    We are in our early 50,s and hold Irish passports.
    question is, as Brits would we feel welcome and be able settle in.gairly quickly, my wife is a one 2 one dog groomer working from our converted garage and is always booked solid in advance also being a very kind and animal loving person her grooming services are in demand especially when it comes to rescued dogs or pooches that need some extra tlc or who have had bad experiences with other groomers, if we set up a home with a similar setup, (we will do the research of course) but we wonder if she could make a small living in Wexford , would there be enough customers to go around? to give her 3-5 pooches a day , Monday to Saturday?
    We intend to rent for a while then buy a detached house or bungalow near enough to town to attract customers for her grooming.
    My son has just qualified in mental care support/physciatry and hopes to set up a practice/consultation rooms in town, within 2 years, he will like teach/assist with training to take on some help.
    We are not wealthy folk but we are easy going, and fairly self sufficient and dept free, seeking to continue with the fairly simple life we have here in Wexford
    what do you think ? we,d appreciate any insight, comments and personal views be it positive or negative, thanks.

Just say "hun" after every sentence, you'll fit right in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You will also be required to provide details on your extended family going back 8 generations. Information must include who is married to who, original parish, occupation and family members in the clergy and/or prison. Sounds daunting but you will only ever have to provide this to one neighbour and the information will be circulated to the wider community within 24 hours

Advertisement