Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad position

Options
  • 14-10-2019 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Lately, when I go on boards.ie through my browser on my phone, I get the an ad as below. Right bang in the centre of the threads. I can't get rid of it or close it, therefore I can't see the threads underneath it. It is quite annoying. This never used to happen.

Can anything be done?

492932.jpg
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

That's really odd, it looks like the size of ad that should be on the right hand side.

Can you let me know what browser you are using please and operating system? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Thanks Niamh

Chrome browser
    Oxygen OS 9.0.8 on a Oneplus 5t device

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

iPhone 6s
    Safari 13.1.3
    Happening regularly for last week or so.
    Have been selecting the ‘ad covers content’ option but it does nothing.

The problem here seems to be viewing the desktop on a mobile sized screen - it is forcing the ad to be shown even though the space is not really there on the mobile screen. I've flagged it with the guys here but I'm not sure there is much we can do with it. The desktop homepage is only intended for desktop sized screens.

Yeah, I thought the same.

Is the touch site gone? That's the only reason I use the desktop site on mobile

• Advertisement

No touch is still there, you might need to clear cookies and cache if you are being forced onto the full site though.

http://touch.boards.ie is still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I had been getting the same.
    It's forced me to go with ad blocking

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I came in to post about the same thing. It's really annoying... Especially when you're going through your list of followed threads.

I keep clicking 'ad covering content', but clearly that doesn't mean what I thought it meant because it does nothing :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

The problem here seems to be viewing the desktop on a mobile sized screen - it is forcing the ad to be shown even though the space is not really there on the mobile screen. I've flagged it with the guys here but I'm not sure there is much we can do with it. The desktop homepage is only intended for desktop sized screens.

Ah just see this now. It's only a new issue though?

That's a shame, I don't really like the touch site. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

I'm constantly getting this on Chrome for Android and I keep reporting it but to no avail.

It's genuinely both putting me off using Boards and it's a useless form of advertising (often local brands btw) as I just now associate them with frustrating ads that cover content.

I don't particularly like the touch site so I don't really see why I'm being forced to use it, particularly when modern Android and iOS phones are more than large enough and very capable of using the full site without any issue, except for these infernal adverts.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reports everyone. As mentioned in an earlier thread this seems to be due to using a layout intended for a large screen on a much smaller screen. I see some of you prefer not to use touch.boards.ie. Are there any specific reasons why that is? No promises but maybe if we knew why you felt using desktop on a mobile screen was better than touch we might be able to help in some other way. As I said, no promises but would be good to know.

I thought touch was discontinued which is why I was on desktop site. I got the touch site back, so happy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

I just find on a phone like a Galaxy Note 10+ or on the bigger iPhones it's just way more practical to use the desktop site. There's no particular advantage to using the touch one and the desktop version is far more functional.

Also I MUCH prefer the dark colour scheme. I find the bright colours on the touch site quite jarring especially as most of my phone interface is dark nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Massive Ads now popping up below the first post of every thread on touch site. How can I turn this off please?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Same. Popping up between the last line of text and the ‘reply’/‘thanks’ buttons. Clearly intended to make it look like a video/gif included in the post.

The Daily Mail (ok, ok, slag me why don't you!! :p) has countless number of these ads now bang in the middle of the screen when you view on ipad- so not just a boards.ie issue- a good excuse not to look at that site anymore i guess. :D

Advertisement