Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tusk's Walrus - Le Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I think Tusk is easily distracted. Ever seen a bugs life?

“Don’t go into the light”
    “I can’t help it. It’s so beautiful”
    “Zzzzzzzzap”

Yeah, that’s Tusk :D

I love the truth in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Vectronix
    Pretzill
    comes in with 19 points for Duran Duran - Come Undone

Listen1: Interesting intro, pretty strange. Nice beat. Wow, high pitch just came in, where'd that come from haha. I'm liking it. I can see where someone might be put off by this initially, and then come around to it. I like it off the bat. Pretty tasty.

Listen2: Freaky intro. Tasty little bassline. vocals suit the song, very chill. Oh, some high pitchy bits thrown in there to spice things up. It works well and doesn't detract from the song. Yeah I'm liking this. That bassline is keeping things grounded for me. Think I'll probably add this to a regular playlist. High pitch back in. It really works and helps the song. Without it, it could be fairly flat. Nice. I like how he climbs in pitch at parts, beautiful. 'who do you need' is so perfectly put together it just feels so right. Mad. then high pitch back in. Very good Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

tusk wrote: »
    Next up Pulsion
    fixxxer
    with Parting of the Sensory - Modest Mouse and 7 points

Listen1: Hmmmm. don't like it off the bat. vocals are weird. not a fan of this. Vocals are drowning out the music too. EW. Not a fan at all. Although just got a bit of music there while he stopped singing and it's nice. as it goes on i hate it less. lad is a nutcase. it is winning me round a bit.

Listen2: Hmmm. not really liking this off the bat. Music sounds good, but vocals aren't doing it for me. Not as offputting as the song goes on, because they layered music on top of the vocals. meh. ah I've had enough. buhby

Fixxxer I bloody love that track.

This round has reminded me of a few albums I have to go back to

And now for our first double up of the game...

Revolution
    sKeith
    and Level16
    Strawbs
    grabbing themselves 6 points for Amy Winehouse - Rehab.

Listen1: Nice and jazzy. I think this was a changeling for me too. It can easily come across annoying, but when you actually pay some attention to it, there's a lot of great musicality to it. She's a great singer too. I've never liked it that much, so it get's a middling score.

Listen2: Very popular song. Was one I didn't like when it first came out, but there's no denying it's a very well produced bit of music. The brass in the background is sweet. Popularity hurts it though for scores I think

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Fixxxer I bloody love that track.

This round has reminded me of a few albums I have to go back to

I admire your taste sir.

*Cough bloody tusk cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

sKeith wrote: »
    DJs used this song for toilet breaks.

I've never heard this in the toilets

My mates were into Oasis, I never liked them back in the day, still dont. Anywho, after hearing this one a few times I starting singing it in my head a lot. One of the few Oasis songs I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Okay... On we go...

Coming in with 18 points we have Blues Bros -
    adox
    with Everybody Hurts by REM

Listen1: Another way overplayed song ruined. But interesting you didn't like this initially. Wonder why that is and why you came round. It's got such a beautiful note decline just before the chorus that has become very ubiquitous in music now. Good choon.

Oooh I'll take that.

The reason I didn't like it is because I really can't stand REM as a group. I always just had this adverse reaction to them. Everything I heard from them just annoyed me and to be honest, to this day I still can't stand them.

When I heard this first I couldn't stand it either along with all their other songs. Just a whiney annoying song from the band I really don't like.
    It used to drive me nuts, especially the chorus.

Years later I got an electric guitar and started to teach myself how to play. I was looking for easy songs to learn online and this was one of the ones that popped up.

Through playing the song I learned to really like it. For the first time it had a nice calming effect on me rather than the usual irritation.

To this day it remains the only REM song that I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Next up Pulsion
    fixxxer
    with Parting of the Sensory - Modest Mouse and 7 points

Listen1: Hmmmm. don't like it off the bat. vocals are weird. not a fan of this. Vocals are drowning out the music too. EW. Not a fan at all. Although just got a bit of music there while he stopped singing and it's nice. as it goes on i hate it less. lad is a nutcase. it is winning me round a bit.

Listen2: Hmmm. not really liking this off the bat. Music sounds good, but vocals aren't doing it for me. Not as offputting as the song goes on, because they layered music on top of the vocals. meh. ah I've had enough. buhby

This songs a bit batshit crazy. Not sure yet if its my kind of batshit crazy or not yet.

Might give another listen later. when I dont have so much noise going on.

Automation
    Kittykat
    up next with Tones and I - Dance Monkey and procuring a hefty 20 points

Listen1: nice intro. I like the vocals. Sounds familiar, don't know if i know it. oh yeah i do know it. her voice is super soft high pitch. i can see you not liking this alright. I do tho. very catchy. Where's the singer from, is that an accent or is she just putting on a weird singing voice. i like. Very chill. Smoky club choon

Listen2: Dance Monkey. Great name. Wow your ones voice is a bit mad. Catchy tune tho. Chair dancing. Oh she's very interesting. oooh, something about the chorus is seedy and vulgar. Kind of like it wants you to feel a bit dodgy. Works very well. She's so different. Never heard anything like this before. Aside from obviously listening to this previously haha. I like it. Wanna hear more from her. Was it the voice that put you off this song intially? I can get that. I like the break for Ooooohs. Also the group chorus after is lovely. would like her to belt something out on top of that too though. please do it. nah. boo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

adox wrote: »
    To this day it remains the only REM song that I like.

Wow, wouldn't be near my top 20 REM songs, I don't think! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't want to live in a world where Dance Monkey scores higher than Champagne Supernova or Rehab :(

tenor.gif?itemid=5416331

Next up Federation of Free Traders
    Do I really need to say who this was? Really? After last time? I think it's pretty obvious...
    gets 5 points for Pumpkin Dance: Sppky Scary Skeletons [Remix]

Listen1: Retro games intro not bad. nice beat. catchy tune. but not much in it so far. Hope it gets more interesting. finger drumming, but not enjoying it really. theres a nice bit in the middle there that I like, can see why someone wouldn't like this, cos it's mostly sh1t hahah.

Listen2: Catchy tune. finger drumming, but super bored listening to it tbh. some dubby style here, but it's baaad. electro bits and bobs. Yeah I'd listen to this for the craic probably, but no. Ah wait there's a bit of decent music about a minute and 30 in. and then it goes back to being fairly crap. ok i'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I should have submitted the Badger, Badger, Mushroom song

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Only 10 left! How has this gone so much faster than the last one! Woah

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I should have submitted the Badger, Badger, Mushroom song

Love that song

Next up Federation of Free Traders
    Do I really need to say who this was? Really? After last time? I think it's pretty obvious...
    gets 5 points for Pumpkin Dance: Sppky Scary Skeletons [Remix]

Listen1: Retro games intro not bad. nice beat. catchy tune. but not much in it so far. Hope it gets more interesting. finger drumming, but not enjoying it really. theres a nice bit in the middle there that I like, can see why someone wouldn't like this, cos it's mostly sh1t hahah.

Listen2: Catchy tune. finger drumming, but super bored listening to it tbh. some dubby style here, but it's baaad. electro bits and bobs. Yeah I'd listen to this for the craic probably, but no. Ah wait there's a bit of decent music about a minute and 30 in. and then it goes back to being fairly crap. ok i'm done.

You monster. This is a MASTERPIECE.

Timelords of London AKA
    Deleted User
    grabs himself 21 points for George Michael's Careless Whisper

Listen1: Gimme that sax all over my face! I would (and have) listened to that sax bit for hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf2MOqdQ5HQ Outside of that i don't think i've ever really paid attention to it. George michael. Very chill. yeah i can dig it. bit of guitar in there to. Funky baseline. Oh there's the title. don't think i ever noticed it before haha. He throws in a bit of a belt there, bit soft tho tbf. overlapping vocals, classic 80s. oh yeah halfway through, bit of a belty bridge. I'm a fan, ups the signing tempo. I likey. Probably would have hated it as a young lad

Listen2: Ok, listening to this straight through this time. That sax tho. Jesus. Head swaying straight off the bat. George Micheal comes in with a super suave vocal. Very soft and chill. Then we've a high pitch soft belt. I'm bopping side to side in my chair. Dying for more sax tho. string solo. Fits well, helps to move the song on. I'm swaying. layered strings, yes. A bit of a passionate belt there, good lad George. vocal layers, nicely done. bit more intensity leads up to the saxy bit. Dying for a bit of embelishment on the sax to inject a bit more passion. Then Ould Georgey comes out with a vocal belt, Not bad. i would like more though. Very good song though. This is probably the first time i've listened to the whole song. lovely layers there. long song... Gimme more sa.... oh there it is. Do something with it though, it's the same thing everytime. We need a bit of accent to elevate it. boo.

Ah we'll go for another high scorer for the craic since we'd two 6s

The Replicants
    MrKingsley
    turns things around after round 1 with a bagful of 22 whole points for Kanye West - All of the Lights

Actual song I listened to starts around 1 minute into this video

Listen1: Like the start. Trumpet intro with a bitta rihanna? ah drum beat ruins it. feeeeeck. drums are RIDICULOUS. love the 'woohoo' bit. Sounds good when the crazy drums stop and kanye comes in. He's so ****, but it works like. He has an uncanny ability to make great music and not ruin it by singing in it himself. which is amazing, because he is really woeful. Never heard this. I like it. appreciate the share. Can EASILY see how someone would hate this and then come around. Drums dont seem too bad later on in the song. Crazy bridge in the middle. Little bit of music in the background is nice. That gwen stefani sounding bit near the end is interesting too. Looking forward to my second listen on this. more trumpet on it's own near the end. very nice. God dam, he knows how to make music tho.

Listen2:
    I hate that kanye can make such good music. this intro is epic. i remember hating the drums at this bit last time. I think it's just the levels. They're a bit too loud in comparisson to everything else, so it's wrecking the rest. Kanye in. How is he a performing artist haha. He's so terrible. Amazing. I love the layering. is that rihanna? the drums don't seem to be too bad after the intro. weird. i love that kind of trumpetty bit in the background, beauty. Yeah i really like this song and it's annoying me. ffs. woah, weird ass bridge. piano solo with layered vocals, what is goin on. who's the girl? sounds like a completely different song. there's rihanna back. Trumpet layers to bring us back to the madness. The man knows how to make music. eyes closed, head nodding. lips pursed. Great song tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Automation
    Kittykat
    up next with Tones and I - Dance Monkey and procuring a hefty 20 points

Listen1: nice intro. I like the vocals. Sounds familiar, don't know if i know it. oh yeah i do know it. her voice is super soft high pitch. i can see you not liking this alright. I do tho. very catchy. Where's the singer from, is that an accent or is she just putting on a weird singing voice. i like. Very chill. Smoky club choon

Listen2: Dance Monkey. Great name. Wow your ones voice is a bit mad. Catchy tune tho. Chair dancing. Oh she's very interesting. oooh, something about the chorus is seedy and vulgar. Kind of like it wants you to feel a bit dodgy. Works very well. She's so different. Never heard anything like this before. Aside from obviously listening to this previously haha. I like it. Wanna hear more from her. Was it the voice that put you off this song intially? I can get that. I like the break for Ooooohs. Also the group chorus after is lovely. would like her to belt something out on top of that too though. please do it. nah. boo

Yea it was the voice, turned it off the first few times I heard it but find myself singing along now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Necro wrote: »
    I don't want to live in a world where Dance Monkey scores higher than Champagne Supernova or Rehab :(

tenor.gif?itemid=5416331

:p:p:p

• Advertisement

Aaaaand we're down to the final 8!

Will you come out on top? Or want to throw things at me for scoring you so baddly?

tusk, come outta that closet you're a big pop music fan evidently :pac:

Strumming along to Ed Sheeran songs on your guitars at home :D

Aaaaand we're down to the final 8!

Will you come out on top? Or want to throw things at me for scoring you so baddly?

I'm just going to cry and wonder why it is that you hate me so much.

What did I ever do to you. :pac:

Was Not Was aka
    Banjo
    starts our bottom 4 off with Mastodon : The Wolf Is Loose

Listen1: Oh, unneccessary screaming. No thanks. Yeah this has some strange chord changes that you tend to see a lot in metal. Can be really throw-offy. Can see why people wouldn't like this. Ah it's not bad. Vocals are the worst part for me. Music is grand, decent tune. Waiting for a ripper of a solo now. Like the drum trills. Serious drum speed. Wow. not the solo i was expecting. hope it goes into something more interesting. it didn't. Bridge time. Very interesting. Like it's trying to convey a sense of an army following orders or something. Slightly demonic sounding. I don't hate it. i hate the screaming. I've never listened to mastodon, but i've heard of them a lot from friends, and i expected more to be honest.

Listen2:
    aaaah, why the scream. No need. interesting sound. Reminds me of a metallica song. I'm sure one of you can tell me which on. 'Back to the front'? This is like these lads heard that song and were like, yeah that sounds good, let's do something like that. Woah, the guitar is boring af. sound like a garage band wrote this. singer is a bit boring too :/ Vocals don't seem to fit with the music. soloish time. somebody is practicing their guitar scales haha. This is pretty crap tbh. If i never hear this song again I'll die happy. I've heard of mastodon before, i'll have to listen to something else of their's to see if they're fully this sh1t :/

tusk, come outta that closet you're a big pop music fan evidently :pac:

Strumming along to Ed Sheeran songs on your guitars at home :D

I'm really starting to worry about myself now hahahah

I really want to like Dance Monkey, it's a very well-written and catchy tune. But there's just no way I can get past that supremely irritating voice. I don't know if it's put on or if she actually does genuinely sing like a toddler on helium learning to pronounce English for the first time, but vocally she is absolutely atrocious. If she wrote the song then fair play, she has a good career ahead of her as a songwriter but keep her away from microphones!

Edit: surprised to learn she's Australian, I automatically assumed she was a non-English speaker based on the awful diction.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't want to live in a world where Dance Monkey scores higher than Champagne Supernova or Rehab anything :(

FYP

OK. Top 4 here we come...

Pompey Pirates
    Spook
    gets a cool 23 points for My Oh My by Slade... Am I seeing a pattern here?

Listen1: lovely piano intro. jaysus that voice is like honey. bit of power there very nice. slidy baseline in the background is delish too. i'm looking for some belt here soon. heavy drums coming in. He's trowing some growl in, but i hope there's a bit more. Solo out of nowhere. IT's basically a play on the melody. nothing special really. catchy tho. oh, chorus. I love a good choral belt. It's got the concept of a children nursery rhyme at its foundation, which means it's catchy as fuuuuuk. beauty. random drum solo. followed by power guitar melody solo. needs something extra this time.............there it is. Not quite enough tho. disappointing there. Good song.

Listen2: oh lovely piano intro. I never knew I liked slade so much. Whoever introduced me to these lads, thanks. Cos I've been singing Everyday everyday since round 1. Apparently they've more songs than just that christmas one. The vocals are brilliant. Your mans voice is on point. So perfect. Throws in a bit of gravel there. Beauty. Drum Belt. Solo following the melody. Works nicely. I'm bursting right now, want to explode up out of my chair. Oh, choral ensemble. Love a bit of that. great stuff. This will probably go into my belter section too. Eyes closed, head rocking forward and back. Legs stamping the floor. and we've a stop. Weird little drum bit, into the solo again. Hopefully this breaks from the melody a bit. it does. And it works well. Could have had a bit more embelishment there tbh to bring it up a notch.

I really want to like Dance Monkey, it's a very well-written and catchy tune. But there's just no way I can get past that supremely irritating voice. I don't know if it's put on or if she actually does genuinely sing like a toddler on helium learning to pronounce English for the first time, but vocally she is absolutely atrocious. If she wrote the song then fair play, she has a good career ahead of her as a songwriter but keep her away from microphones!

Edit: surprised to learn she's Australian, I automatically assumed she was a non-English speaker based on the awful diction.

Our director for the panto this year has us performing a dance to it. I'd rather swim through a river of vomit than listen to that bloody song again :mad:

• Advertisement

After submitting one of the best songs in round 1, LSD
    QB
    Falls from grace to pick up 3 points for Tweeter and the Monkey Man - Traveling Wilburys

Listen1: has me caught straight away. Nice beat. Oh no vocals. feck off. Oh are these the bob dylan guys? I fukkin hate this voice. it's horrible. HATE it. go away . Different vocalist and i might like it, but jaysus he's brutal. can't stand him

Listen2:
    Tasty westerny intro. Oh god the vocals. Get away from me. i just can't.

Advertisement