Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tusk's Walrus - Le Reveal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I mean, Nec-a-ro, you couldn't think of another song about loving something less over time? I literally used it this round... :p

Fitted with Clara's post more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Necro wrote: »

I'll never not love that song!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

tusk wrote: »
    Was Not Was aka
    Banjo
    starts our bottom 4 off with Mastodon : The Wolf Is Loose

Listen1: Oh, unneccessary screaming. No thanks. Yeah this has some strange chord changes that you tend to see a lot in metal. Can be really throw-offy. Can see why people wouldn't like this. Ah it's not bad. Vocals are the worst part for me. Music is grand, decent tune. Waiting for a ripper of a solo now. Like the drum trills. Serious drum speed. Wow. not the solo i was expecting. hope it goes into something more interesting. it didn't. Bridge time. Very interesting. Like it's trying to convey a sense of an army following orders or something. Slightly demonic sounding. I don't hate it. i hate the screaming. I've never listened to mastodon, but i've heard of them a lot from friends, and i expected more to be honest.

Listen2:
    aaaah, why the scream. No need. interesting sound. Reminds me of a metallica song. I'm sure one of you can tell me which on. 'Back to the front'? This is like these lads heard that song and were like, yeah that sounds good, let's do something like that. Woah, the guitar is boring af. sound like a garage band wrote this. singer is a bit boring too :/ Vocals don't seem to fit with the music. soloish time. somebody is practicing their guitar scales haha. This is pretty crap tbh. If i never hear this song again I'll die happy. I've heard of mastodon before, i'll have to listen to something else of their's to see if they're fully this sh1t :/

My only comfort is in knowing how long my Black Hole song is and how much you'll hate having to listen to it twice. **** you and your ****ty taste :D Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    (To answer your question : Most of Mastodon is like this - blistering drums and screaming. Try Colony of Birchmen, Curl of the Burl or most of Once More 'round the Sun if you'd prefer to hear something approaching (but never quite reaching) singing. Definitely don't go back past Leviathan as then you're throwing terrible production values into the screamy mix. But none of them are the song that made me realise I could listen to hoarse screaming and learn to not just tolerate it but love it)

I'm disappointed that you're asking for people to share stories - did you not get the reading notes that go with the "songs"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Banjo wrote: »

I'm disappointed that you're asking for people to share stories - did you not get the reading notes that go with the "songs"?

Nope, SK has held them back. Didn't want them to influence the scores.

Looking forward to reading them at the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Necro wrote: »
    Interested as to why that's a changeling for Rikand, I really like that era of Fall Out Boy.

Some damn good songs

I'm a convert to Fall Out Boy. When they first came out, I instantly dismissed them as stupid emo rock ****heads and went about that way for a few years happy that I was right that they were stupid and ****.

And then a friend of mine was playing some of their songs on his playlist in work..... and suddenly I found myself singing along to them and then loving them and I was like. "Who is that ?" And than I was like :: "Oh **** its fall out boy!" - Everything I thought I knew about the world was wrong. I was wrong. And then I was really happy that I was wrong. And the worst part was having to tell everyone that I had made a mistake. That I found myself actually quite enjoying Fall out boy.

You're right Necro. They had some fantastic songs back then. Real belters and anytime a catchy fallout boy song comes on in the car I belt it out at the top of my lungs.

Absolutely stunned that this topped the poll! Glad you liked it so much Tusky :D

fwiw, I refuse to believe that Careless Whisper was ever a song that someone here didnt love. How can anyone not love that song from the moment they hear it. Its damn near one of the greatest songs of all time. Sonne another one!

I also have to say that Champagne Supernova would fall into this category for me too as a changeling. It's probably my favourite Oasis song. That, She's Electric and Some Might Say would be my top 3. Thanks necro. I never thought I would find myself reconnecting with Oasis in a positive way ever again, but your Walrus submissions to me have done it.

I also have to agree with you on something else. I ****ing hate Sean Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Banjo wrote: »
    My only comfort is in knowing how long my Black Hole song is and how much you'll hate having to listen to it twice. **** you and your ****ty taste :D Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ah, a perfect distillation of the spirit of walrus :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand wrote:
    You're right Necro. They had some fantastic songs back then. Real belters and anytime a catchy fallout boy song comes on in the car I belt it out at the top of my lungs.

Late convert here too, first got introduced to em by (whispers) One Tree Hill :o that album is just great though. Your reasoning makes perfect sense
    Rikand wrote:
    I also have to say that Champagne Supernova would fall into this category for me too as a changeling. It's probably my favourite Oasis song. That, She's Electric and Some Might Say would be my top 3. Thanks necro. I never thought I would find myself reconnecting with Oasis in a positive way ever again, but your Walrus submissions to me have done it.

:D I'm glad I made some difference. Now let's talk Westlife... :pac:

KIDDING!!! :D
    Rikand wrote:
    I also have to agree with you on something else. I ****ing hate Sean Paul

I.... I..... think there might be a future for us Rikand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

You know what. If fixxxer is upset, then my job here is done.

Oh I'm not upset yet. Reject my Blackhole offering, then you'll see upset. Oh yes.

fixXxer wrote: »
    Oh I'm not upset yet. Reject my Blackhole offering, then you'll see upset. Oh yes.

Oh I really hope i hate it :cool:

Thanks Tusk face!! :D

• Advertisement

Ah here I refuse to believe a song by a heavy metal band in german is something that appeals to the masses especially on first couple of listens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Thanks for the reveal Tusk, happy with my placing.

Wish I could have followed along live but had to carve a pumpkin!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ah here I refuse to believe a song by a heavy metal band in german is something that appeals to the masses especially on first couple of listens

Yeah, but its Rammstein.

if it was by some unknown band called Die Gloraboreischen then I'd say okay :D

I jest of course. But Rammstein really opened the whole genre and Sonne is just such a fantastic song, it's not something I would have thought as a grower (for me :D )

Rikand wrote: »
    Yeah, but its Rammstein.

if it was by some unknown band called Die Gloraboreischen then I'd say okay :D

I jest of course. But Rammstein really opened the whole genre and Sonne is just such a fantastic song, it's not something I would have thought as a grower (for me :D )

ha ha fair enough, TBF I had **** taste in music when I was younger too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sonne is probably their most famous song.

That riff though. How could you not like it from the first time you heard it?:P

adox wrote: »
    Sonne is probably their most famous song.

That riff though. How could you not like it from the first time you heard it?:P

Du hast is my favorite from them. Super song.

I may have underestimated the popularity of Ramenstein it seems.

I mean I didn't think they were unheard of but wouldn't have thought of them as mainstream, shows what I know about music.

Still didn't like it first time I heard it, loud noise is what I thought first cool video.

Timelords of London AKA
    Deleted User
    grabs himself 21 points for George Michael's Careless Whisper

Listen1: Gimme that sax all over my face! I would (and have) listened to that sax bit for hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf2MOqdQ5HQ Outside of that i don't think i've ever really paid attention to it. George michael. Very chill. yeah i can dig it. bit of guitar in there to. Funky baseline. Oh there's the title. don't think i ever noticed it before haha. He throws in a bit of a belt there, bit soft tho tbf. overlapping vocals, classic 80s. oh yeah halfway through, bit of a belty bridge. I'm a fan, ups the signing tempo. I likey. Probably would have hated it as a young lad

Listen2: Ok, listening to this straight through this time. That sax tho. Jesus. Head swaying straight off the bat. George Micheal comes in with a super suave vocal. Very soft and chill. Then we've a high pitch soft belt. I'm bopping side to side in my chair. Dying for more sax tho. string solo. Fits well, helps to move the song on. I'm swaying. layered strings, yes. A bit of a passionate belt there, good lad George. vocal layers, nicely done. bit more intensity leads up to the saxy bit. Dying for a bit of embelishment on the sax to inject a bit more passion. Then Ould Georgey comes out with a vocal belt, Not bad. i would like more though. Very good song though. This is probably the first time i've listened to the whole song. lovely layers there. long song... Gimme more sa.... oh there it is. Do something with it though, it's the same thing everytime. We need a bit of accent to elevate it. boo.

Good man tusk ;)

Because of the sax and George's much publicised exploits in a public jax, I used to look at this as a joke song of sorts when I was a kid. Then Sergio Flores started doing this shít about 10 years ago and it added another layer to the 'joke'...

However in recent years the song has really grown on me, and I now think that it's one of the greatest love songs ever written. I do get what you mean tusk about the sax not going anywhere but sticking to that main riff, however the song is perfect for me as is. It would have been interesting to hear what a sax solo would have sounded like, but maybe too much sax would have detracted from the iconic riff. I dunno.

George puts in a sublime performance in this, the perfect amount of emotion and longing for such a subject without overcooking it. That climactic bridge and the falsetto he hits at the end of it is just heavenly, that falsetto making the song all but un-coverable except to the very best.

He was an enormous talent, even on songs which weren't his own. We're surely all familiar with the cover of Elton John's 'Dont Let The Sun Go Down On Me', but his vocal shines in this one too...

Anyway...good reveal tusk. I just have to get it into my head that these reveals are dropping early in the day rather than later on, I hope to be present for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I may have underestimated the popularity of Ramenstein it seems.

I mean I didn't think they were unheard of but wouldn't have thought of them as mainstream, shows what I know about music.

Still didn't like it first time I heard it, loud noise is what I thought first cool video.

You say that like it’s a bad thing! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

adox wrote: »
    I love this song and album. You sound like an auld lad saying you don’t like screaming vocals and that’s coming from a 52 year old. :P

If he wasnt gone on that level of screaming which is fairly tame then I anticipate my next two picks will see me bottom of the barrell points wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Necrina

Don't forget to share your stories with the class guys.

Why are this songs changlings for you?

My reason is simple:

I don't like Bieber, but this song grew on me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

ETA on next reveal??

:) :P

quickbeam wrote: »
    ETA on next reveal??

:) :P

Yes

Yes

Regretting asking for long songs yet? :p

Regretting asking for long songs yet? :p

haven't even started listening yet.

Regretting entering yet?

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

haven't even started listening yet.

Regretting entering yet?

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Not this round, I'm looking forward to my win and to introducing everyone to something new and amazing ;)

Well, as it happens, I've just looked at the playlist provided by my lovely assistant, and true to ridiculous form, I sent her the wrong list of songs so....

9Mwi8Ir.gif

So, somebody submitted a song, and I found that song on spotify. it was fabulous!

Then i realised it wasn't long enough. Turned out to be the wrong song with the same name.

Sad times, because that original song was the highest scoring blackhole listen 1. It's not even gonna be included. Sad times indeed.

• Advertisement

Rl49n.gif

Advertisement