Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tusk's Walrus - Le Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Revolution aka
    SK
    pulling in a tidy 19 points for Al Stewart - Roads to Moscow

Notes:

ohhh. painful intro guitar. followed quickly by some classical spanish-style soloing. Verrrry shweeet. beautiful. nice pump in the chord progression and strumming. I like it. The vocals are pretty solid. Oh i love that sharp single strum behind the vocals. **** there's so much going on for me to keep up. That constant soloing in the bg is amazing. brilliant. Vocals are the lowest point for me. a bit too soft. would love to hear this song with a vocal an octave lower. may have to try this out as a belter. it's unusual to find songs with constant soloing like this, and it works so well. Some deep vocals would enhance this something fierce. a slight vocal belt there. nice. oooh. choral situation arising here. very good. belt should be next........... please belt......... aaaaahhhh aaaaahhh aaahhhhh. layered vocal on the choral setup. nice. a bit of a pushing melody to the main vocal here, putting a bit of uncertainty into the song. it's kind of unsettling. very interesting. Would love a belt. It needs something pushy here. just under 5 mins in. solo maybe? short bassline there. liking it. I need to see if there''s a cover by someone i like though. oh we've some strings here with a bit of intensity. he follows with a minor belt. needs a bit more push. come on. please. choral thingy is back. nice. please do a belt. 2 minutes left. gimme a belt. pooooleeeeeeeeeasse! even a solo. the melodies are delish. I'm convinced there's a better version of this out there with a bit more interesting vocalisations. I like this though. Don't think i've heard anything by him before. will defo check out more from him. Goood tune. could have probably got a 10 with a bit more belt.

Oh yeah, persepoly. I love Donna Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

tusk wrote: »
    Revolution aka
    SK
    pulling in a tidy 19 points for Al Stewart - Roads to Moscow

Notes:

ohhh. painful intro guitar. followed quickly by some classical spanish-style soloing. Verrrry shweeet. beautiful. nice pump in the chord progression and strumming. I like it. The vocals are pretty solid. Oh i love that sharp single strum behind the vocals. **** there's so much going on for me to keep up. That constant soloing in the bg is amazing. brilliant. Vocals are the lowest point for me. a bit too soft. would love to hear this song with a vocal an octave lower. may have to try this out as a belter. it's unusual to find songs with constant soloing like this, and it works so well. Some deep vocals would enhance this something fierce. a slight vocal belt there. nice. oooh. choral situation arising here. very good. belt should be next........... please belt......... aaaaahhhh aaaaahhh aaahhhhh. layered vocal on the choral setup. nice. a bit of a pushing melody to the main vocal here, putting a bit of uncertainty into the song. it's kind of unsettling. very interesting. Would love a belt. It needs something pushy here. just under 5 mins in. solo maybe? short bassline there. liking it. I need to see if there''s a cover by someone i like though. oh we've some strings here with a bit of intensity. he follows with a minor belt. needs a bit more push. come on. please. choral thingy is back. nice. please do a belt. 2 minutes left. gimme a belt. pooooleeeeeeeeeasse! even a solo. the melodies are delish. I'm convinced there's a better version of this out there with a bit more interesting vocalisations. I like this though. Don't think i've heard anything by him before. will defo check out more from him. Goood tune. could have probably got a 10 with a bit more belt.

FYI: I know that you have heard Nostradamus by the same artist.

Bad Brew Crew
    Rih-Kand
    with 8 points for Above & Beyond pres. Tranquility Base - Getting Away

Notes:

hefty beat off the bat. nice. interesting intermittent musicality. Oh jaysus, wasn't expecting that. Don't know how to describe it. some old granny choking musically. nice. followed by a nice rythm. I'm liking it. bit flattish now, needs an injection. There it is. the blockbuster phase. I like it, works nicely. needs a bit of something else though. I'm getting kinda bored. but i like it. hmmmm. yes, moves on a bit more intricacy in the melody there. bitta piano coming in in the background. tasty enough. but still fairly bland like. oh, harp? wow. a feel of insomnia off this part now. or sandstorm? not sure, but i like this bit. phase is a bit overpowering though. layering is nice, but the levels seem a bit off. drum push to a resolving belty bit. nice. overall it's a bit flat though. which is weird because there's a lot going on, but it seems like the same thing too much. Wow. only halfway through now. come into a new section, beat focussed. some strings in the bg, fading in. a bit of harp and a demon 'ha'/ More sandstorm, that base beat is just too ubiquitous, it's not budging and it's making things a bit difficult. needs some variety in there for me. I could easily stick this on in the background and forget about it, not even knowing it was on because it follows the same formula for the duration. oh there we go! a bit of a change up. very nice. comes a bit late into the song though. 7ish minutes in and we're only getting it. Then pretty much straight back to a formulaic concept. easy to forget for me. but decent nonetheless.

sKeith wrote: »
    FYI: I know that you have heard Nostradamus by the same artist.

do you ?

Doesn't ring a bell...

• Advertisement

Was Not Was
    Banjito
    with Tool : Rosetta Stoned and the first one into our 20point club.

Notes:

classic 'setting sounds up' intro. Wow this vocal intro is intense. like it. The music is on point. these lads are great musicians. the vocals are mental hahah. I love it. softer vocals coming in now, straight into a belt with some hefty drum trills. nice. Levels of vocals seem a bit low. nice layering of sounds here. this is a mad song. constantly changing here. keeping me very intersted. man that guitar sound is sooo clean. ok into a new riff here. feels like a pusher, expecting something interesting to come from this. fingers tapping the keyboard along with the tune. beauty. nice vocal bit in here. nice little guitar bit there. Sounds like there's a bit of passion in the vocals but it's hard to tell tbh. guitar bits throughout are great. drums too. I really like it. another change with a bit more of an emphasis on vocals here, but shortlived and moves into a pushy guitar riff. getting the heart racing.. will we get a solo after? oooh this bit is doing things to me. 6:45 they add one not at the end every so often that makes such a huge difference. ok now we're having a bass bit. great variation inthis song all over. solo coming now? strange screechy sound now. not doing anything for me here. coming out of that bit, into a great ensemble bit here. full band belting away, very nice. ok vocals back now with some belt. it's interesting, they're using the vocals as a support instrument it seems like rather than the focus, which is super interesting. Never listened to tool before. I will defo be after this. REally great musicians. their guitar work is brilliant. last minute now. hefty guitar. headbanging. outro guitar is like it's from a different song, then some drums an dvocals enter and you know where you are again. nice.

And that puts us halfway through.

I'll take a break and start up again in a while. Hopefully there are a few more heads around to follow along :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I don't know what any of that means

Sorry, I was phone typing quickly while getting baba to sleep :p

As I was scrolling down I saw your thoughts on Homer's song, they seemed pretty glowing but didn't get many points. I was going to comment on that but then got to my choice and the same applied, just a strong round! Looking forward to starting a listen later

And the singer in mine was Robert Smith from the Cure, I was just dropping that in as you hadn't mentioned recognising it. He's a big fan of 65daysofstatic and has championed them a lot. They supported the Cure in the US and have an awesome live album from Madison Square Gardens

Feck off Tusk :(

:p

And the singer in mine was Robert Smith from the Cure, I was just dropping that in as you hadn't mentioned recognising it. He's a big fan of 65daysofstatic and has championed them a lot. They supported the Cure in the US and have an awesome live album from Madison Square Gardens

Oh this is the guy i slated for vocals before?

I'll have to relisten to both and see how I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Unpopular opinion, but I've never understood the appeal of Tool. Wibbling drudgery is how I find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

do you ?

Doesn't ring a bell...
    That Al Stewart tune!

tenor.gif?itemid=10531696

lil reminder :p

Oh this is the guy i slated for vocals before?

I'll have to relisten to both and see how I feel.

No no, that was Matt Berninger from the National ;)

No no, that was Matt Berniger from the National ;)

then you've lost me even more hahaha

sKeith wrote: »
    lil reminder :p

And there's your proof that i need some memory implants :pac:

fixXxer wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion, but I've never understood the appeal of Tool. Wibbling drudgery is how I find them.

Never listened to them before. Apparently I like them.

then you've lost me even more hahaha

I just think (thought, you're shaking my belief!) that Robert Smith had a very distinctive voice, maybe not :p

Fun Fact while we wait for round 2....

All of my comments for this round add up to 6,997 words. Longer than my thesis for my degree!

You're welcome Forum Games. You are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I do hope for Rosetta Stoned you read the lyrics for the growl at the start. If you can't understand what he's saying, it's very atmospheric but you're missing out on the story that sold me on submitting the song. "Me! The chosen one! They chose me! I didn't even graduate from ****in' high school!".

Gotta love a band who make you wait around 14 years for a new album, then release it in a premium format in the US only with a built in HD screen so you can have the total artistic experience! Because it's not love till it hurts you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Two songs for 10,000 days, Nice! I would have liked to couple Wings for Marie/10,000 Days together but obviously they're two separate songs and they just dont have the same effect when listened to separately

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    Two songs for 10,000 days, Nice! I would have liked to couple Wings for Marie/10,000 Days together but obviously they're two separate songs and they just dont have the same effect when listened to separately

is thissome sort of code? do you need us to send help?

The Wild Boys
    GnR
    with 7 points for Stone Roses - I am the Resurrection

Notes:

easygoing drum beat intro. add a tasty little bassline. oh some nice vocals. head is bopping. I like it. Don't think i know any stone roses. My uncle has been asking me to listen for years, don't think i ever did though. Not what i expected. kind of giving me a beatlesy vibe. I don't really like the beatles, which is sad for the next person on my list... I like it, but it's getting boring after 2 minutes in. The sound is samey. needs a bit of variation for me. love the drum beat. very nice. solo time. nice little solo, works well with the rest of the song. 'i am the ressurection' i like that bit. 3.5 minutes in we've a bit of variation going on . bass solo type thingy. another guitar solo. comes at a good time to change things up. It's a nice little piece here. not doing a whole lot for me though. it's grand. but just grand. ok, getting bland now. oh hard stop. and we continue back into what was exactly before the stop. ok. a few extra layers, but that's all really. started out pretty promising but then dove off a cliff for me. goddamit. 2 minutes left, am bored. bit of a sitar sound now. i like.

Blues Bros
    adox
    with Queensryche - Suite Sister Mary and a beautiful 21 points.

Notes:

kill her. love songs with a bit of talking in them for the craic. No idea what to expect. Some atmospheric tunes. Followed by evilsounding guitar riff. oh we've a choir. The exorcist is about to jump out at me. Baam BAAAAM. love it. very operatic. vocals is nice. Sounds like something you'd actually get in an opera. ooooh this music line is sweet. do do do do. bling. niiiice. this is cool. Unexpected. that main melody bit is something else. love it. that's gonna be stuck in my head fo sho. atmosphere has gone, moving into something racy. powerful vocals. reminds me of iron maiden. nice vocals. cool guitar too. i like these. I'll have to look them up after walrus. could be a bit more production on the backing vocals. they sound a bit crap sometimes, not the choral bits, just the regular singing bits. guitar work is really sweet. vocals too. love it. solo? hmmmmm, this licky bit is tidy, man the create some great guitar bits.... solo time, it's building up. hope it doesn't just stop. it did. boo. back into a nice guitar bit. that is nice. some mad choral in the bg. drummer with a bit of showing off. likey. i would like to hear a pumpy solo please. very maideny for me. soft vocal. reminds me a bit of zp from dragonforce too. higher pitch than bruce. really like this. is this queensrike, queensryshe, or what? come on gimme a solo pls. nice choir work here near the end. that song didn't feel as long as it is at all. crazy sounds coming towards the end. very eerie. very good. enjoyed that.

Pompey Pirates
    spook
    nabs 6 points for Slade - Ready to Explode (anyone surprised?)

Notes:

high hopes for this after the last two slade songs.... random travel noises to start us off. classic rock intro. music is nice from the getgo. tempo goes up. jolly sounds. racetrack time apparently. this is weird. where's the vocals. 80 seconds in, still no vocals. oh. early solo, nice. bit boring. does actually sound like a theme tune for a racing game haha. noddy, on your marks mate. i'm visualising fun house listening to this. 2:30 before the real guts of the song starts. feel like this song doesn't really know what it's trying to do or what it wants to be. strange. music is grand. nothing special. vocals are grand, not really doing much for me. kind of want this to end. i mean, it's fine. there's clearly good music and good signing, but nothing is gelling for me. sounds like bits and bobs from their riff and song books just plastered together. boo. ah disapointed by this now after the last two slades. I'm trying to mark it individually. Break doooooooown, good bit i like that. Is there a stripped back version of this? Feel like it would be better if the cut a bunch of the pieces out. 6:30ish it gets a bit more up my alley. hmmmm. weird weird song. nice solo near the end. fits in well. oh yeah very good solo.

TNT-Crew
    Vale
    with 22 points for November rain - Guns and Roses

Notes:

Never looked at this with a critical eye, so this should be interesting. Straight in with a lamenting piano and strings bit. There's a joy in it, but also a sadness. Interesting. some atmospheric sounds in the background. Drumm intro is tasty. heavy heavy. some flute now. Nice layering of all of these sounds. Vocals in now, nice. Backed with a choir of aahs. really well put together. That drum. wow. wow, there's actually a bit of harp or soomething in there, that i never heard before? Or is it guitar with a tangy effect? mad. the prechorus is nice. pushing the feeling through. the chords are so beutiful together. They resolve so nicely. and that drum belt every so often is magical. A song that you can sing along to. the build to ' i know it's hard' and heavy guitar chords here is just pure tashte. with a bit of lead in there too. this is one of those solos, that just pricks me in the feels that first note. I play this solo, over and over again and the feeling it pulls out of me is ridiculous. there are so many little musical additions overlayed on each part of this song that make it brilliant. This scond solo is iconic. It's so basic starting off, but those notes are so powerful. solo straight into vocals, choir back. lead guitar bits in the background, some mad music in the backgroudn that i can't put my figers on? Strings? now we're into the bridgy bit. yep, strings here. this break and subsequent piano / string / guitar bit is just unreal. i can't even describe it, there's too much. Then the solo. It's just an absolute blast like. vocal bits coming in. love it. what a piece of music this is. Mad that you go through life knowing you love a song, but not understading why, until you actually step back and look at it from a critical perspective. That last guitar note is pain. top notch. Funny little percussion bit at the end there too i never noticed.

And this sets up for the final 10. First of the bottom 5 coming up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Pompey Pirates
    spook
    nabs 6 points for Slade - Ready to Explode (anyone surprised?)

Notes:

high hopes for this after the last two slade songs.... random travel noises to start us off. classic rock intro. music is nice from the getgo. tempo goes up. jolly sounds. racetrack time apparently. this is weird. where's the vocals. 80 seconds in, still no vocals. oh. early solo, nice. bit boring. does actually sound like a theme tune for a racing game haha. noddy, on your marks mate. i'm visualising fun house listening to this. 2:30 before the real guts of the song starts. feel like this song doesn't really know what it's trying to do or what it wants to be. strange. music is grand. nothing special. vocals are grand, not really doing much for me. kind of want this to end. i mean, it's fine. there's clearly good music and good signing, but nothing is gelling for me. sounds like bits and bobs from their riff and song books just plastered together. boo. ah disapointed by this now after the last two slades. I'm trying to mark it individually. Break doooooooown, good bit i like that. Is there a stripped back version of this? Feel like it would be better if the cut a bunch of the pieces out. 6:30ish it gets a bit more up my alley. hmmmm. weird weird song. nice solo near the end. fits in well. oh yeah very good solo.

Was hard to find one that fitted the criteria from Slade, could have gone with Born to Be Wild/Steppenwolf cover from their Slade Alive! album or if we'd been on 6 minutes I'd have tried to sneak in with How Does It Feel @5.55 but it was Slade and had to be entered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Blues Bros
    adox
    with Queensryche - Suite Sister Mary and a beautiful 21 points.

Notes:

kill her. love songs with a bit of talking in them for the craic. No idea what to expect. Some atmospheric tunes. Followed by evilsounding guitar riff. oh we've a choir. The exorcist is about to jump out at me. Baam BAAAAM. love it. very operatic. vocals is nice. Sounds like something you'd actually get in an opera. ooooh this music line is sweet. do do do do. bling. niiiice. this is cool. Unexpected. that main melody bit is something else. love it. that's gonna be stuck in my head fo sho. atmosphere has gone, moving into something racy. powerful vocals. reminds me of iron maiden. nice vocals. cool guitar too. i like these. I'll have to look them up after walrus. could be a bit more production on the backing vocals. they sound a bit crap sometimes, not the choral bits, just the regular singing bits. guitar work is really sweet. vocals too. love it. solo? hmmmmm, this licky bit is tidy, man the create some great guitar bits.... solo time, it's building up. hope it doesn't just stop. it did. boo. back into a nice guitar bit. that is nice. some mad choral in the bg. drummer with a bit of showing off. likey. i would like to hear a pumpy solo please. very maideny for me. soft vocal. reminds me a bit of zp from dragonforce too. higher pitch than bruce. really like this. is this queensrike, queensryshe, or what? come on gimme a solo pls. nice choir work here near the end. that song didn't feel as long as it is at all. crazy sounds coming towards the end. very eerie. very good. enjoyed that.

Nice!

This is taken from a concept album, hence the talking etc at the start. Was wary of putting it in as it kinda doesnt make sense in a way as a stand alone.

So glad you enjoyed it. Its from the album Operation Mindcrime released in 1988.

The lead singer Geoff Tate has a 4 octave vocal range - a brilliant vocalist imo.

Im pretty sure I put extensive notes in with this so hopefully you`ll get to read them at a later date.

OK Bottom 5 Begins with The Storm Brothers aka
    Necrina
    with Hey Jude, from The Beatles

Notes:

It's difficult to analyse these songs that are just so ubiquitous. I've heard them all a thousand times which makes it hard to be objective when I know what's coming. I like the intro of the guitar. its nice. We've a choral chorus. Nice. Some aaaaahs behind the lead vocals. some minor layering of guitar. nananana push. piano. and into the next verse. It's catchy af. some layering of vocals which is decent. Nothing amazing. lead vocal is grand. is soft and smooth. but not much passion in it. nanananana..... 'hey ju-u-u-uude' love it. better better better. bit of a screech there i like. chorus, some very inaudible vocal layers. could be leveled up a bit. some variation over the nananana bit would be nice. they've a bit of an organ there. Some judey judey judey bit is a welcome addition. pretty boring here though to be honest. it's the music i think, it's bland and the vocals are too close in tone and key to it. so there's nothing there of interest to pull it up or enhance it. so you're relying on the lead vocal to do that, and he's not really effective for me. yeah, just way too long on this nananana bit. It's overindulgent for no reason, it's not adding to the song by going on for several minutes.

Flames of Finland
    osh
    begins our top 5 with 23 points for Led Zeppelin - The Rain Song

Notes:

nice intro, resolving guitar layers. I can feel this tune being stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Vocals in. Trying to be slightly off in coordination with that dweaaawwouu of the guitar. This is a song that's been used to experiment with sounds and emotion for sure. background music in now. organy type tunes. sounds like an old school movie soundtrack. love that droopy guitar bit with the background music. soooo delish. tiny bit of guitar in the background helping to keep things intersting. oh bit of uppage of guitar game. nice. this is so beautifully put together. There's two chords in there. Three notes. Doow doo doo. There may very well be the most beatiful 3 chords in succession i've ever heard. lovely. this is a weird ass song. and I love it. It shouldn't be what it is, but it is wonderful. It works so well and I don't feel like it should. reminds me a bit of David Bowie 4:48. don't know why. bit of a push here now, increase in the heavy guitar, some piano heft. Vocals pumping some effort in. nice. this is really tasty. I'm a big fan of this. I feel like if i'd have heard this song outside of walrus, i'd probably have skipped. which kinda pisses me off. How many deadly songs have i potentially skipped because they engaged my mind? fuark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Gods, I hate Hey Jude!

Advertisement