Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tusk's Walrus - Le Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

The Syndicate
    Necro
    with 4 points for Champagne Supernova by Oasis

Notes:

Not gonna listen to this again, but I'll give it the same score it got in the last round.

just had a quick look at the last round's scores and this scored 4 places higher with the same score. Just shows how high the bar really was in this round.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Gods, I hate Hey Jude!

I generally don't like it really, but i tried to give everything a fair shout and unbiased analysis as much as I could. wasn't very easy tbh.

4th place goes to Automation -
    kittykat
    for Prince's Purple Rain

Notes:

absolute iconic sound. You know this song from the first inkling of a noise. such passion straight off the bat. beautiful layer of sounds and variances. voice like honey. that drum keeping things tight. so painful. you can really feel it. strings layered on now for another piece of depth. choral chorus... yep, i said that. you can't help but just want to scream this out while you listen. 'i betrayed you' something else. got that growly guitar in there two. eyes closed. Purple Rain! beauty. what can be said about this song like. I don't know. tough to verbalise. solo is immense. pure power. pure emotion. actual near tears at 5 mins in. weird. I've heard this thousands of times so i should be used to it. maybe because i'm fully paying attention. Those hooo hooo hooos. my god. powerful. That bit where you think it's over, but it keeps going, it brings it back to the main melodies through an offset strange chord situation is something I always forget and it works so well.

giphy.gif

Top and Bottom 3 to follow in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ah you rapscallion Tusk!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tusk wrote: »
    The Syndicate
    Necro
    with 4 points for Champagne Supernova by Oasis

Notes:

Not gonna listen to this again, but I'll give it the same score it got in the last round.

just had a quick look at the last round's scores and this scored 4 places higher with the same score. Just shows how high the bar really was in this round.

:cool: Yet you'll listen to a 17 minute song ahead of this masterpiece.... Shocking behaviour :(

This isn’t looking good for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Was one still disqualified or was that sorted out?

I'm wearing my bottom three finish as a badge of honour. Bloody Philistines.

Necro wrote: »
    :cool: Yet you'll listen to a 17 minute song ahead of this masterpiece.... Shocking behaviour :(

I’d listen to I feel love then champagne supernova on a loop! All frickin day!!!

• Advertisement

fixXxer wrote: »
    Was one still disqualified or was that sorted out?

All will become clear at the end.

I already listened to it twice. how long is that? either way it was long enough. It scored 6/10 on both listens too (blind).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tusk wrote: »
    I already listened to it twice. how long is that? either way it was long enough. It scored 6/10 on both listens too (blind).

Only 14 mins, and that was in a different category.

*Shrugs*

Only 14 mins, and that was in a different category.

*Shrugs*

Don't make me get the 'Barred' Stamp out!

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Who are the final six?

the final six do not include these people:

Necro
    Necrina
    Spook_ie
    Green&Red
    Rikand
    persepoly
    Barney92
    Kolido
    Electric Nitwit
    Homer J. Fong
    quickbeam
    Stu Redman
    Pretzill
    MicksJaguar
    phatkev
    sKeith
    Banjo
    adox
    TheValeyard
    osh
    kitten_k

Strawbs, fixxxer, trigger, MrK. I dunno who the other 2 are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Phew was not confident I wasn’t in the bottom 5!

Apparently slight Beatles connection too :D

From wiki: George Harrison was reportedly the inspiration for "The Rain Song" when he made a comment to Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, about the fact that the group never wrote any ballads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Strawbs, fixxxer, trigger, MrK. I dunno who the other 2 are
    jurgen skunk

Totally didnt see this

osh wrote: »
    Phew was not confident I wasn’t in the bottom 5!

Apparently slight Beatles connection too :D

From wiki: George Harrison was reportedly the inspiration for "The Rain Song" when he made a comment to Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, about the fact that the group never wrote any ballads.

Another good reason to hate George Harrison.

Here we go...

Final 6

Klapauzius
    Jurgen
    with 3 points for Meshuggah - I

Notes;

heavy. Sweet intro. that kick drum. oooohhhhweeeee. headbanging instantly. is there a soft melody behid the heavy, or am i dreaming that? ok music is dying down. drums become more clear. where do we go. solo maybe? I'm anticipating. Well no. We get a sore throat. wow. why would anyone do this to their body. ok thank **** that is over. the actual vocals are grand. this reminds me a bit of jet pilot by SOAD. your man's throat must be in bits. he's actually damaging the **** out of himself there. Nah it's doing it for me. ok i like the music here nice. sweet bit of guitar. 18 more minutes. please throw in a bit of normal vocals? pls.... the music is very good. ok now we're into something different. almost sounds like a complete differnt song. music is great. Could listen to this music all day. I don't so much mind this screaming bit, but i can actually feel my vocal chords ripping listening to him and its hurting me hahaha. mad bastard. He's screaming, but he's screaming tonally which is grand. just wish he would do it in a bit more of a safe manor. oh wow. facemelter solo. wtf hahaha. that was not expected. and does not fit hahah. lads. jaysus. clearly good musicians. but by jaysus. 6 minutes in liking this vocal bit. vocal chords still shredding. power speed. would love to see a video of these lads playing. around the seven minute mark they do an extended set of one thing on guitar and drums. that's super impressive. blehahaha. the music just ends and then we've a super chill soft note guitar solo thingy haha. mad song. love the effect. this is like 12 songs rolled into one. i know it's gonna start heavy again and scare the **** out of me. oh there it is. ****. haha. like this beat and guitar. music is great in this song. can't help wanting some soft vocals in here to balance it out. Something SOAD a lot, which i love. Halfway through now, nice barrage of guitar and drums here. 12 minutes in now and i'm gettin fairly bored. There's not much differentiation throughout the song, it's mostly just barrage after barrage. which is grand, it just needs something to help with variety in there. otherwise it just feels like a long flat slog. ok we've a solo here, sounds ok, fits in somewhat with the song. nothing special though to be honest. oh wait this song is stil on ....14:40 we get some interesting guitar. expect an abrupt explosion here now........some bass...... something that sounds like a theramin in the bg haha. pretty bored now to be honest. only 4 minutes left. music is decent. just boring now after 17 minutes... it's over. thank jaysus.

The Replicants
    MrKingsley
    proving to everyone that the first round was purely a fluke. snatching a tasty punnet of 25 whole points for Daniel Norgen - Moonshine Got Me

Notes:

flutey intro sounds a bit medievel. followed by some strings with an interesting level composition. Bassline on the strings keeping things grounded. This feels like a music connoseiur could listen to this for days and continue to find new things going on . Oh we go bluesy now! wsn't expecting that at all. It works. Some horn in the BG. Ohh this is Smooth AF. Drum beat. Helllooooo. I'm physically feeling this right now. body is being taken for a ride here. Yes. So glad I picked this as a category. Not one bad song yet (this is the 4th). Vocals enter. Interesting. I'm into it. clicking my fingers along with that drum beat. oooh god. that growl. yesss. gimme more of thsi. Some multivocals there. dingdingding. this is right up my alley. good god yes please. wow 4 minutes in. doesn't seem like it. oh we get a bit of a bass lick there into a change in form. some push here. oh back to the verse structure. That kept me very interested. jaysus, I'll be playing that little riff as soon as i'm finnished here. Tasty. Solo here, wow, seems a bit off there tbh. kind of ruined it for me. Sounds like me trying to write a solo myself. Spoiler, i'm **** at writing solos. Jaysus that main riff tho. beauty. would like a bit of heft before we finish up please. oh, we've a choral bit here now. very nice. Getting a deep south vibe out of this. one last verse with a belt would fit so nice in here. I don't think i'd ever get bored of that riff. 10 moonshine riff video please. yeah some vocal changes there to keep it interesting, nice. Solo ruining it again unfortunately.. Very good song. Really enjoyed that now.

Second last place sees our resident dosser Federation Of Free Traders
    skunkbags
    with 10 Hour Video - Troll Song

Notes:

lads! I ****ing love this lad. I have actually listened to this exact video for hours on end hahaha. My favourite is the saruman one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqC5FnvAEc... Please watch it! Right some critical review. I love the tune it's wonderful. Ohhh a bit of high pitch belt followed by a deepass bit. niiiice. this is just good wholesome fun. huhuhuhu hahahaha hehehehe. lovely. the music - it's delish. Some lovely layers in there. I really like this. only last just under 2:30 mins which is a bit sad. lovely tune though. wonder if there's a legit long version? I've just given this a 7. then knocked off 2 points because it's not really long enough. just repeating it is a bit of a cheat. soznotsoz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Phew! Thought I was going to be bringing up the rear again there.

Glad you enjoyed it Tusk

Fun Fact i just added the 'please watch it' to that notes section, so word count is now 7000. Woop!

• Advertisement

Skunko you mad genius. Love it :D

Advertisement