Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tusk's Walrus - Le Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Phew! Thought I was going to be bringing up the rear again there.

Glad you enjoyed it Tusk

listening to it again now. that guitar is just juicy af. love it!

Down to the nitty gritty....

Second place goes to The Medway Boys
    triggerooney
    for Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven

I'm a bit angry that this scored so high, because it's too obvious, but jesus it's ****ing brilliant!

Notes:

iconic intro. love to play it. one of the first things you learn as a guitarist haha. that synthy whistley flutey bit too, so tasty. The tune is so fantastical and mesmerising. The voice of an angel. this was my parents wedding song. Lyrics are amazing. it's actual poetry. the variation on the intro music into the first prechorus is a thing of majesty. as is the pre chorus itself. such a super song. It really is one of the best songs ever written. I don't have words really. Entering this was a surefire way to high points. i'd go as far as to say it's borderline cheating :P 'the pipers callin you to join him'. you know what. After listening to so many songs for this. This one is quite pure, as in there are very few moving parts or layers of different instruments. and it makes so much sense for the song. solo time, love this solo. such passion. I must learn int. 6:16 that bit is just immense. then the drum push and the 'wayow, wayow' push in for a belty outro verse, yes please. jaysus. Sometimes it's nice to just analyse a song you've known forever, it gives you a new appreciation for it.

It’s just me and you, fixxxy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hahaha only have a few songs that are over 7mins so this was an only choice for me really Haha, its unreal, plus it was amazing that after I selected this I had to draw it in the MS Paint game :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

It’s just me and you, fixxxy

Congratulations Strawbs :)

Before we get into the final two. I want to bring your attention to the most disappointing part of this whole ordeal.

The second song I listened to was amazing. AMAZING. It blew me out of the water. Then I was brought around to the realisation that it was not long enough. I was sure nobody would enter a short song, so I checked with my middleman SK, and low and behold, there was another song with the exact same name floating about on youtube. This song was in no way up to the standard of the original one i listened to and it broke my heart.

BROKE MY HEART.

Now onto the final two songs...

fixXxer wrote: »
    Congratulations Strawbs :)

Thanks. You’re so gracious in defeat ;)

Trigger wrote: »
    Hahaha only have a few songs that are over 7mins so this was an only choice for me really Haha, its unreal, plus it was amazing that after I selected this I had to draw it in the MS Paint game :pac:

wow was it that long ago? jaysus, I really need to up my schedule :P

Come on!!

• Advertisement

Pulsion AKA
    Fixxxer
    with Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Tetsuo (Akira Soundtrack) and 1 point

Notes:

intro is very live sounding. a bit of organ to mix things up. hmmmm. I'm expecting things to kick off a bit. here we go. no we don't. hmmmmm. pretty bored here tbh. is he hitting glasses with sticks? weird sound. funny bells? I dunno. Gives me a castlevania vibe. Not musically, butthat's what i'm visualising listening to this. I doubt I'd look for this again to be honest. Not interesting me at all. It's not necessarily bad, but just doing nothing for me. I'm not pushed either way. Some heavy bit now. Still not interesting me. Jaysus only 4 minutes in. Daaaaah Daaaaah Daah Dah! I like that bit. yeah this is doing nothing for me whatsoever. I feel like it needs something visual to go along with it. The music itself is just bleh. 7 minutes in now. Just waiting for it to end tbh. ding dong ding dong. Ironic that this bit sounds like a ticky tocky clock countdown or something because I need it to end. Daaah Daaah Daah dah dah dahdah......... best bit of the song. other than that, not really anything in there that did anything for me.

AND the winner of the blackhole category:

Fun Fact parts 1-7 was going to be my example song, but when I saw this was entered, I thought it would give too much away, so i went with no example song.

Level 16 AKA
    Strawberry Milkshake
    with Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond Parts 6-9 and 27 tasty little points.

Notes:

Used to listening to this song in it's entirity so this should be interesting. Not only that. but it was my example for this round :P straight in with the interference and a bassline. this guitar line is just so interesting. then you get the second guitar on top of it with a bit of heft. easy drum beat. jaysus, that high trupety type bit is tidy. love it. so many layers. everything adding something useful. nothing there is out of place. love it. love it. love it. It's difficult to be ojective against this because I know it so well. it's just pure power. Okay no we've the next section which is a bit more pushy. slidey guitar. so tasty. Pink Floyd were compositional geniuses. My god. I'd love to see how many layers they've got going on the production of this. bump up the intesity a bit here now, push the lead to a higher pitch. wow. just unreal. I have been in some terrible states listening to this song. by jaysus. absolute choon. everything grounded by that bassline. and then we revert back into the foundation of the rest of the song. into the lyrics. that guitar between the lyrics is just amazing. 6 or 7 notes and it conveys so much. Passionate vocals. power. a song that you can belt out as well. The chill out bit here is so nice. man so good. I made a mistake. I usually listen to the 1-7 mix. Not too familliar with part 8 here. It's super jazzy wehey. love it. wow this is noiiice. layers all over the shop. oh yeah can feel the foundation of the rest of the song here hitting part nine. very tasty. If anyone doesn't know this song, you should listen to it in the dark with some heavy loud sound system. it will do strange things to you. This is just so chill. I don't have much to say. nice bit of bass in the bg. the synth melodies are just on point. they fit so well. One note of guitar there for a second... you need to be a genius to do these things. amazing. love it.

Sorry fixxxy

Go me!!!!!

And here is your scoreboard after Round 3

Name Points
    TheValeyard 62
    MicksJaguar 60
    Rikand 60
    adox 59
    Pretzill 59
    kitten_k 57
    Spook_ie 54
    Stu Redman 52
    Strawberry Milkshake 51
    MrKingsley 48
    Green&Red 46
    Trigger 45
    osh 44
    phatkev 41
    Necro 40
    quickbeam 40
    sKeith 40
    Electric Nitwit 31
    Banjo 30
    Barney92 30
    persepoly 27
    Homer J. Fong 26
    fixxxer 25
    Necrina 25
    Kolido 23
    Jurgen The German 22
    LadySkunk 16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Sorry fixxxy

Go me!!!!!

Go Strawbs is right.

Another great reveal tusk

Is this Sheep or walrus?!

tusk wrote: »
    Before we get into the final two. I want to bring your attention to the most disappointing part of this whole ordeal.

The second song I listened to was amazing. AMAZING. It blew me out of the water. Then I was brought around to the realisation that it was not long enough. I was sure nobody would enter a short song, so I checked with my middleman SK, and low and behold, there was another song with the exact same name floating about on youtube. This song was in no way up to the standard of the original one i listened to and it broke my heart.

BROKE MY HEART.

Now onto the final two songs...

RIKAND!

Here's the song that broke my heart. Had it been a legit entry it would have won.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7mgM7egOJR67460GvM9oWe?si=zSWvY9BySfGqVfaa8H55nw

Thanks tusk. I love reading your real time thoughts as you are listening to the song

Full Table for the craic.

Thanks for following along. Sorry about the daytime reveal, I just generally don't have enough time in the evenings I'm afraid.

Real Name Fake Name The Blackhole score 1 Score 2
    nobody nobody Above & Beyond pres. Tranquility Base - Getting Away 9.5 0
    Strawberry Milkshake Level 16 Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond Parts 6-9 9.3 27
    Trigger The Medway Boys Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin 9.1 26
    MrKingsley The Replicants Daniel Norgen - Moonshine Got Me 9 25
    kitten_k Automation Prince - Purple Rain 8.7 24
    osh Flames of Finland Led Zeppelin - The Rain Song 8.5 23
    TheValeyard TNT-Crew guns and roses - november rain 8.5 22
    adox Blues Bros Queensryche - Suite Sister Mary 8.4 21
    Banjo Was Not Was Tool : Rosetta Stoned 8.3 20
    sKeith Revolution Al Stewart - Roads to Moscow 8.3 19
    phatkev Delta Force Tool - Right in two 8.2 18
    MicksJaguar Adrenalin Phantom of the Opera - Lindsey Stirling 8.1 17
    Pretzill Vectronix Loreena McKennitt - Mystic's Dream 8 16
    Stu Redman Timelords of London No Quarter - Led Zeppelin 7.8 15
    quickbeam LSD Une Nuit a Paris - 10cc 7.7 14
    Homer J. Fong Persistence Of Visio Smashing Pumpkins - For Martha 7.6 13
    Electric Nitwit The Untouchables 65daysofstatic - Come To Me 7.5 12
    Kolido Guardians Of Logik Guns N' Roses - Estranged 7.4 11
    Barney92 The Carebears Nina Simone - Sinnerman 7.2 10
    persepoly The Lost Boys Donna Summer Love To Love You Baby original long version (Disco 70s) 7.1 9
    Rikand Bad Brew Crew Above & Beyond pres. Tranquility Base - Getting Away 7 8
    Green&Red The Wild Boys Stone Roses - I am the Resurrection 6.8 7
    Spook_ie Pompey Pirates Slade - Ready to Explode 6.4 6
    Necrina The Storm Brothers The Beatles - Hey Jude 6.2 5
    Necro The Syndicate Oasis - Champagne Supernova 6 4
    Jurgen The German Klapauzius Meshuggah - I 5.8 3
    LadySkunk Federation Of Free Traders https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1eHKf-dMwo&feature=youtu.be 5.2 2
    fixxxer Pulsion Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Tetsuo (Akira Soundtrack) 5 1

And the Spotify Playlist. The phantom Rikand song is in there, but his real one isn't, along with the winner and a few others that I couldn't find

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/26eRIQPxcIRoj73EKAfaAI?si=h_sKqBQHQOKE0FFUPZNamg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

A deaf bloke finishing 2nd in a music game, ye lot should be ashamed of yourselves :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Trigger wrote: »
    A deaf bloke finishing 2nd in a music game, ye lot should be ashamed of yourselves :pac:

OR....

tusk's tastes in music are similar to a deaf person :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Playing catch up tonight - great winner Strawbs and also lovely to hear Roads to Moscow. Thanks Tusk, such a good category.

Thought it might be nice to have a recap of scores in each round so far

Name Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Current Score
    TheValeyard 14 26 22 62
    MicksJaguar 19 24 17 60
    Rikand 27 25 8 60
    adox 20 18 21 59
    Pretzill 24 19 16 59
    kitten_k 13 20 24 57
    Spook_ie 25 23 6 54
    Stu Redman 16 21 15 52
    Strawberry Milkshake 18 6 27 51
    MrKingsley 1 22 25 48
    Green&Red 26 13 7 46
    Trigger 3 16 26 45
    osh 10 11 23 44
    phatkev 21 2 18 41
    sKeith 15 6 19 40
    Necro 22 14 4 40
    quickbeam 23 3 14 40
    Electric Nitwit 2 17 12 31
    Banjo 6 4 20 30
    Barney92 11 9 10 30
    persepoly 8 10 9 27
    Homer J. Fong 12 1 13 26
    Necrina 5 15 5 25
    fixxxer 17 7 1 25
    Kolido 4 8 11 23
    Jurgen The German 7 12 3 22
    LadySkunk 9 5 2 16

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Cheers tusk :)

Good use of the joker card Strawbs! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

tusk wrote: »
    RIKAND!

Here's the song that broke my heart. Had it been a legit entry it would have won.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7mgM7egOJR67460GvM9oWe?si=zSWvY9BySfGqVfaa8H55nw

Ah yeah. When I saw how my first entry went for category 1, I knew I was in a bit of trouble with this entry.

That's the same song as what i submitted btw, just a more energised remix of it. I could have submitted a thousand songs of a similar vein to that but when you dont know for sure what someone likes its hard to know what to do, so I just variated my entry.

I promise to give barney the song I should have submitted here haha

Tusky I just realised ive inadvertently cheated while the video I posted was over 7 minutes the song was only 6:38.

Stoopid youtube people and there begging

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Tusky I just realised ive inadvertently cheated while the video I posted was over 7 minutes the song was only 6:38.

simpsons-movie-mob-laser-time.gif

:p

I always knew there was something dodgy about you.

Scores are in now and shall remain unchanged....

But I'm keeping my eye on you ya pup

Cheers tusk :)

Good use of the joker card Strawbs! :pac:

That’s it. The joker card has been used so it’s back to my normal low scoring entries now.

What categories are left?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Belter and Obscura.

Advertisement