Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch/accelerator

• 14-10-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

I do my lessons in my instructor's car and find it easy to start moving off (usually releasing clutch slowly and then pressing the accelerator once fully off the clutch). However the car I practise in is very different and it seems to be impossible to move off without pressing the accelerator as (or even before) I come off the clutch. As a result I've been stalling a lot as I try to get used to it. I tried to explain this to my instructor but he seems to think it should be possible to come off the clutch first slowly and then press the accelerator. I'm pretty sure from practice that this is not possible (and this is why I've been stalling). Would I be right?

I'm just a bit frustrated as most of my practice is spent trying to move off without stalling while my instructor seems to think I should be making more progress...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It would be unusual to be off the clutch fully before pressing the accelerator IMO. You need to keep revs constant until clutch is off, no way to do that in good time without extra throttle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Each car will be different. You should go somewhere to practise setting off.

I spent weeks doing it, becuase the car I was driving, was very different to the car I was learning in.

Even now whenever I'm checking a car or getting a new one. I'll set aside time to go somewhere quiet to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

TheChizler wrote: »
    It would be unusual to be off the clutch fully before pressing the accelerator IMO. You need to keep revs constant until clutch is off, no way to do that in good time without extra throttle.

That's the impression I've been getting from reading up on it but I think my instructor is getting me to take it one at a time as I get used to it (it works fine in his car). But he seems to think this should be possible in any car and I really don't think it is in mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's likely he wants you to practice the movements seperately. Some cars are more forgiving but quite a lot of cars will stall if you release the clutch with no accelerator. At the end of the day you need to do what works best for you in the car you're in at the time, as long as you're not over revving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

To minimise air pollution and fuel consumption, when designing a car engine the idling speed is calculated, manufactured, and adjusted to the lowest possible number of revs. (generating minimum power)

However the engineers must increase it enough to generate a safety margin of power to allow for any unexpected drawing of power such as switching on the air con on heated windscreen or rear window,

It is this safety margin that you are using in attempting to move a dead weight of approximately a tonne. Because of the characteristics of a diesel engine this usually causes no problem, but as you have discovered a different story with a petrol engine.

The idling speed is simply not designed to move a car from rest it must be increased.

Diesel or petrol, to move off, first set the engine speed, rev slightly to a nice happy sound, then release clutch until the engine note deepens, hold feet steady, do your checks, if safe indicate, release handbrake, increase gas, release clutch smoothly. Say goodbye to stalling.

Some people wrongly believe that if they rev first that they will prematurely wear out their clutch. This is wrong because by revving, the engine is generating more power therefore the clutch can be released quicker, less time when the plates are spinning against each other when the wear occurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Let me guess. Your instructor’s car is a diesel and yours is petrol?

Regardless, of which you shouldn't be accelerating as an afterthought, you should be accelerating immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

Let me guess. Your instructor’s car is a diesel and yours is petrol?

Regardless, of which you shouldn't be accelerating as an afterthought, you should be accelerating immediately.

Bizarrely, it's actually the opposite!

But anyway, I've managed to figure out my car so while I might not have exactly gotten to the bottom of things (although I do understand the mechanics that has been explained here) the problem is no longer a problem.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

twiz wrote: »
    Bizarrely, it's actually the opposite!

Not bizzare at all. I've found modern diesels to be terrible for starting off. They run so lean they have feck all power with low revs. I haven't driven a new turbo tiny petrol so can't comment on then but for older petrols on the flat you can usually get going on tick over, you can't do that in a modern diesel.

I was going to start a new thread about my morbid fear of driving but as I read this I realised I have a fear of the clutch. And I have the opposite problem to you I think: my left foot never wants to come off the clutch. I keep revving away on the accelerator but coming off the clutch is proving to be a nightmare! Has anyone else had this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I was going to start a new thread about my morbid fear of driving but as I read this I realised I have a fear of the clutch. And I have the opposite problem to you I think: my left foot never wants to come off the clutch. I keep revving away on the accelerator but coming off the clutch is proving to be a nightmare! Has anyone else had this problem?

https://youtu.be/8ofUKNQyYBg Watch this video

• Advertisement

Omg thank you so much for this link. Lifesaver.

Advertisement