Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Cobh

Options
  • 14-10-2019 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I came across a few old threads from 2007/08 on Cobh being a terrible place to live. Is it still the same? Having been there a few times, the place didn't seem to be too bad. Considering that there are limited property options in Cork City given the cost and availability issues, Cobh seems to be the next nearest town with decent transport and houses.
    Would moving to Cobh be a wrong decision?
    Any suggestions on whether it is worth looking at properties in Cobh?
    Any specific areas in Cobh that are best avoided?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I personally wouldn’t live in Cobh. Main reason is only one way in and one way out. A colleague of mine lives there (and originally from there) and is stuck in Cobh when it floods cause you have no where else to go. So for that alone for traffic reasons, I wouldn’t. She does love it there and says there is a lot there. However when the big cruise ships come in and everyone flocks to Cobh to see it and tourist stay in Cobh, it can be hard to pop out for your errands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You’d get better responses in the Cork forum. Cobh is grand. I live in the city, have often considered Cobh as a place to live. House prices seem ok there. I don’t know it well enough to know what parts are good or bad. Last I heard Rushbrooke was meant to be a posh kind of place, but as I said, I don’t live there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Cobh is fine. You have two ways off, the ferry and the bridge. Oh, and the train. Yes, the bridge does occasionally flood but only at high tide when there is an extremely high tide and a storm. Once or twice a year at the absolute max.

Lovely place, a bit touristy yes. There is nowhere that I know of anywhere where you get the view of cruise ships like you do in Cobh.

Traffic in the mornings to Cork is fine apart from when you get to Dunkettle. And those old threads are rubbish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Just another Customer

Dolbhad wrote: »
    I personally wouldn’t live in Cobh. Main reason is only one way in and one way out. A colleague of mine lives there (and originally from there) and is stuck in Cobh when it floods cause you have no where else to go. So for that alone for traffic reasons, I wouldn’t. She does love it there and says there is a lot there. However when the big cruise ships come in and everyone flocks to Cobh to see it and tourist stay in Cobh, it can be hard to pop out for your errands.
    Thanks for the feedback. Agree, the approach road is not the biggest positive.

Cobh is fine. You have two ways off, the ferry and the bridge. Oh, and the train. Yes, the bridge does occasionally flood but only at high tide when there is an extremely high tide and a storm. Once or twice a year at the absolute max.

Lovely place, a bit touristy yes. There is nowhere that I know of anywhere where you get the view of cruise ships like you do in Cobh.

Traffic in the mornings to Cork is fine apart from when you get to Dunkettle. And those old threads are rubbish!!!
    Thanks. I was a little shaken reading the old threads. Totally agree, the view is what is making us consider buying a property there seriously. The ferry and train are a big advantage compared to various other areas in Cork that are not well connected.

• Advertisement

dory wrote: »
    You’d get better responses in the Cork forum. Cobh is grand. I live in the city, have often considered Cobh as a place to live. House prices seem ok there. I don’t know it well enough to know what parts are good or bad. Last I heard Rushbrooke was meant to be a posh kind of place, but as I said, I don’t live there myself.
    Thanks for the feedback. Will post it on the Cork forum too. Some lovely houses up for sale in Rushbrooke. Seemed to be a nice place. Thanks.

Advertisement