Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween, an excuse to act the bollocks?

Options
  • 14-10-2019 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭

Like St Patrick's night or New Years Eve, scobes and skangers run riot, how is it in your area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Pretty quiet.

We get a few trick or treaters but no messers, I’m in a relatively new estate with more young children than teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We have recently moved into a village on the outskirts of Dublin no gangs and no where to hold a bonfire ,my own kids have next to no interest in it bar in school,

It's a complete drain on emergency services and it an excuse for mass fly tipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Gatling wrote: »
    It's a complete drain on emergency services and it an excuse for mass fly tipping

That reminds me..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Jonesborough for some fireworks, might see if theres a deal on some cans of Carling while I'm up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Jonesborough for some fireworks, might see if theres a deal on some cans of Carling while I'm up there

That market up the hill still going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Peatys wrote: »
    That market up the hill still going?

oh shur i dont know, years since i was up there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Halloween should be a spiritual and cultural event.

The whole charade that surrounds it - bon fires spewing out toxic smoke, ppl deciding that normal rules and laws don’t apply on oct 31st, etc etc- should be banned outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Real old man stink in here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I’ve been to a few Halloween parties but feel it is something mostly for the kids. We do have Halloween parades in just about every town in these parts of the US (I was even in a few... once in a monster truck). I live in the country so we’ve haven’t gotten Trick or Treaters in 20 years. When the kids were small we took them into the town where their grandfather lived to get treats. My youngest is currently a student at a university in Washington, DC in their Policy, Politics and Law program. She told me some friends and her plan on dressing up and visiting embassies for their boring candy. I was afraid to ask her why they are going to embassies, where they have armed guards… and if she would need bail money. :)

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I leave sign on door saying no trick or treaters welcome, imagine giving some clowns children free sweets that you paid for with your minimum wage job, count me out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Some of us don't need an excuse to act the bollocks.

I'll be buying lots of fun-size bars of chocolate, Haribos, etc. And then I'll make sure that the lights are just dim enough to ensure that very few kids will bother calling. And then I'll eat til I'm sick.
    I leave sign on door saying no trick or treaters welcome

Hope they choose to 'trick' you instead then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I look forward to shifting or even shagging a sexy zombie I’ve met at nightclub fancy dress

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's just an excuse for young ladies to wear hardly any clothes and just call the costume "sexy", I'm completely in favour of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Like St Patrick's night or New Years Eve, scobes and skangers run riot, how is it in your area?

Usual low life activity in parts of Carrigaline,egging, drunkenness, roaring at,all hours- house egged with neighbours last year ,stupid stuff- lucky I'd a hose nearby ,but still had to clean it properly next morning ( chav neighborhood)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Were Yee not all them kids when Yee were young....

The enjoyment of collecting bonfire material....

The heat and the smell and just the nice feeling inside....

Then you had the dressing up and truck or treating and how nice it was when you got to a house that didn't give you a rotten apple or orange or them fecking nuts......

Nobody wanted gone off fruit and just sweets....

It's the known thing now though if there ain't no lights on then there's no point in calling....

Fireworks were something cool also now saying that not for the whole month but the night that was in it....

Now it's all health and safety but saying that there are certain areas that aren't touched and they get to burn whatever they want.....

I would like to see it where it's managed and made safe so no tyres or likes of gas cylinders....

Spread a little joy and don't be a humbug...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I remember it used to be mental when I was a kid, massive bonfires in every estate, fireworks galore, kids running riot, fighting etc etc...it was mad at times, people throwing aerosols, gas cylinders, fireworks and any other sort of thing into bonfires.

That all stopped when a guard got seriously injured in an unprovoked assault by a local scumbag, he had previous form of course, something like 20 convictions to him before this.

Anyway now nothing happens, they take any fire down pretty much as soon as it's put up and anything that does get a chance to get going is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's grand where I am, all the parents are out with the young kids as they go round the houses. No real issues later either, either the older ones are just at home or they are gathering elsewhere.

Somebody always gets their hands on fireworks and sets them off later on, but that's the only issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Can't wait for it myself. Love horror movies, parties, fireworks and fire in general, there's usually a bonfire nearby but obviously last year it pissed rain all night and that aspect of Halloween was essentially cancelled. Hopefully it'll be dry this year! And yes, as another poster pointed out, the fact that "dress up scary" becomes "dress up sexy" once one hits one's twenties and thirties is a major bonus :D:D:D

EDIT: I will say that as someone who has regularly put on Halloween fireworks displays for friends and family using imports from Jonesborough and nearby places since I was a teen, I cannot understand some teenagers' obsession with holding and/or throwing them. Most injuries do not result from genuinely proper usage of fireworks, contrary to media reports that they're made without safety standards or quality control - most fireworks in Ireland come from Diamond Fireworks in Manchester or Bright Star fireworks which I believe is based in Bristol, and they have very clear labels telling you how deep the firework has to be buried, how many metres away spectators have to be, etc. You're highly unlikely to lose a finger if you follow those instructions, it's the morons who think it's great craic to hold roman candles or barrages and aim them at their mates who end up in A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

It is sad alcoholic dirt birds have to take over events that are for kids. Chirstmas, a time for family and kids, but what does it evolve around for the masses.... drink. Hallow'een, should be for kids, their imagination and for older too, to enjoy a good horror or 2, but again drink. Patrick's day and good Friday - drink.

People focus on the scum in the estates causing mayhem but, them in glass houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

SonOfGoat wrote: »
    It is sad alcoholic dirt birds have to take over events that are for kids. Chirstmas, a time for family and kids, but what does it evolve around for the masses.... drink. Hallow'een, should be for kids, their imagination and for older too, to enjoy a good horror or 2, but again drink. Patrick's day and good Friday - drink.

People focus on the scum in the estates causing mayhem but, them in glass houses.

This is the first time I've heard the term "dirt bird" used outside fictional dialogue and I absolutely love it :D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement