Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Award For Shannon Group Chairman

Options
  • 15-10-2019 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

This story might seem to be something of a minority interest, to say the least.

I just thought it noteworthy to see how much of the English speaking world is contained in one cultural event.
    http://www.clare.fm/news/shannon-airport/us-award-shannon-group-chairman/

Shannon Group Chairman Rose Hynes has been honoured by the US branch of the Irish Chamber of Commerce.

The New Quay native has been bestowed with the Sir Michael Smurfit Business Achievement Award at the 31st Annual American Celtic Ball, held recently in New York.
    I felt a similar degree of cultural inclusion, when discovering that the legal distinction between being Irish and British was being defined by a case concerning the UK residency rights of an American married to someone called de Sousa.

Is nationality all nonsense, Ted? If it means something, what does it mean?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

On the 'Sir' the well to do and wannabe well to do love a title. No Irish citizen should have such a title recognised IMO, unless a dual citizen of somewhere with a monarchy of sorts.
    You can be Irish, French or Chinese and called 'de Sousa'. FYI: the Taoiseach is called Varadkar. Names are given to people, people move about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Ms Hynes is a native of Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

No Irish citizen should have such a title recognised IMO, unless a dual citizen of somewhere with a monarchy of sorts.
    And that seems to be the case with "Sir" Michael, and his award is set out below.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/birthhons_main_11_06_05.pdf

To be Ordinary Knights Commander of the Civil Division of the said Most
    Excellent Order:

SMURFIT, Dr. Michael William Joseph. For services to British business and
    charitable interests.
    So any issue about a "Celtic" night run by an Irish business association in New York handing out an award named after an entitled dual citizen? Or is it all just chin music?
    You can be Irish, French or Chinese and called 'de Sousa'. FYI: the Taoiseach is called Varadkar. Names are given to people, people move about.
    So does any of it matter? If someone stoutly insists they've a right to be deemed Irish, should we suggest they relax and accept whatever nationality they happen to have ended up with?

It just strikes me as a little odd to, on the one hand, employ these markers like "Celtic", "Ireland" and "New Quay native", as if these things had some importance - and we expected people to band together because of these markers.

And then hand out an award, named after someone who has been honoured for his services to Britain.

For what its worth, I think nationality is useful nonsense - like product branding, and the Ireland Chamber of Commerce might be weakening the brand by confusing the message.

Just as I don't think the brand is helped by allowing it to be used to get UK residency for an American.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Stanford wrote: »
    Ms Hynes is a native of Clare

I was wondering why New Quay was highlighted alright considering it's a small place a bit above Ballyvaughan.

I don't really see how "Irish woman from Irish company gets award named after famous Irish business man (the same one the UCD Business School is named after) from US branch of Irish Chamber of Commerce" connects to the de Souza case.

On first inspection, the UK appears to be ignoring the right of someone born in Northern Ireland to be recognised as Irish only based on the GFA and as a result has stalled on following the EU's rules on residency for non EU spouses.

The only wildcard I can see in relation to her case is if she was born prior to the GFA being signed, she may have been born a British citizen under the rules of the day whether she likes it or not.

Generally, a country will not treat a dual citizen as a foreign national for the application of laws if they also hold citizenship of the country they're in.

Balf wrote: »
    And that seems to be the case with "Sir" Michael, and his award is set out below.So any issue about a "Celtic" night run by an Irish business association in New York handing out an award named after an entitled dual citizen? Or is it all just chin music?So does any of it matter? If someone stoutly insists they've a right to be deemed Irish, should we suggest they relax and accept whatever nationality they happen to have ended up with?

Irishness is personal. Being from Ireland is a geograhpical fact. You are associated with Irish history and heritage. You can choose to embrace it or like some of out brothers and sisters up north claim foreign heritage. Or like any group from foreign decent. It matters to the person.
    It just strikes me as a little odd to, on the one hand, employ these markers like "Celtic", "Ireland" and "New Quay native", as if these things had some importance - and we expected people to band together because of these markers.

People of similar heritage band together. There's comfort in association.
    And then hand out an award, named after someone who has been honoured for his services to Britain.

Monkey see monkey do. I'm sure he got great excitement when mixing with the others. Bless.
    For what its worth, I think nationality is useful nonsense - like product branding, and the Ireland Chamber of Commerce might be weakening the brand by confusing the message.

Just as I don't think the brand is helped by allowing it to be used to get UK residency for an American.

Residency is another matter. We'd a U.S. resident ran for Irish President last election. We've a Maltese resident gets any state contract he fancies from the Fine Gael party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Irishness is personal. Being from Ireland is a geograhpical fact. You are associated with Irish history and heritage. You can choose to embrace it or like some of out brothers and sisters up north claim foreign heritage. Or like any group from foreign decent. It matters to the person.

People of similar heritage band together. There's comfort in association.

Monkey see monkey do. I'm sure he got great excitement when mixing with the others. Bless.

Residency is another matter. We'd a U.S. resident ran for Irish President last election. We've a Maltese resident gets any state contract he fancies from the Fine Gael party.

Couldn't resist, could you Matt?

Couldn't resist, could you Matt?

What's your point on the topic? Couldn't resist chiming in with nothing?

What's your point on the topic? Couldn't resist chiming in with nothing?

About as valid as you bringing up FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭blackwhite

On Michael Smurfitt specifically - wasn't he born in North-West England?

Guessing that's where the eligibility for "Sir" comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

blackwhite wrote: »

He was born there. He holds dual british/irish citizenship. I still cant figure out what this thread is about. what is the actual issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

blackwhite wrote: »

I don't think it actually matters where someone is born. As far as I know, the whole knighthood / Sir thing is generally awarded based on 'services / contribution to...' That's how the likes of Terry Wogan (from Limerick) and Bob Geldof (from Dublin) ended up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't think it actually matters where someone is born. As far as I know, the whole knighthood / Sir thing is generally awarded based on 'services / contribution to...' That's how the likes of Terry Wogan (from Limerick) and Bob Geldof (from Dublin) ended up with them.

Geldof isnt a "Sir" as he doesnt have dual citizenship. He is an honorary knight. Wogan was a dual citizen hence the Sir Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

I don't really see how "Irish woman from Irish company gets award named after famous Irish business man (the same one the UCD Business School is named after) from US branch of Irish Chamber of Commerce" connects to the de Souza case.
    And maybe it doesn't - I'm really just exploring the topic.
    Irishness is personal. Being from Ireland is a geograhpical fact.
    Fine. Then, if Irishness isn't just a fact, are there any limits to it? Should anyone who wants to claim Irishness, on the basis of enjoying reading a book by a Paris resident called James Joyce?
    I still cant figure out what this thread is about. what is the actual issue?
    I'm really just exploring nationality, and whether it means anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭blackwhite

He was born there. He holds dual british/irish citizenship. I still cant figure out what this thread is about. what is the actual issue?

Not really sure TBH :confused:

I'm broadly in favour idea of having a system that honours people for outstanding contributions to society/charity/etc., but at the same time I'm not sure about the point of adding a formal title to someone's name as the way of recognising it.

When you hear stories of the likes of Ben Kingsley get worked up about people not calling him "Sir Ben" it all seems a bit pathetic (as does people getting worked up about people accepting the awards TBH).

Anytime I hear stories like the "Sir Ben" rubbish, all I can think of is Len

pl06DrqUXXWx.gif

About as valid as you bringing up FG.

Varadkar and De Souza can't be Irish people?
    Great input though boss.
    Then, if Irishness isn't just a fact, are there any limits to it? Should anyone who wants to claim Irishness, on the basis of enjoying reading a book by a Paris resident called James Joyce?

There's a difference between embracing it and claiming it. You are or are not. You embrace it or you do not.

Great input though boss.

There's a difference between embracing it and claiming it. You are or are not. You embrace it or you do not.

Cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Great input though boss.

No, FG, which you mentioned specifically in a post. But continued to be disingenous, it won't help people take your points seriously.

Advertisement