Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Cobh

• 15-10-2019 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I came across a few old threads from 2007/08 on Cobh being a terrible place to live. Is it still the same? Having been there a few times, the place didn't seem to be too bad. Considering that there are limited property options in Cork City given the cost and availability issues, Cobh seems to be the next nearest town with decent transport and houses.
    Would moving to Cobh be a wrong decision?
    Any suggestions on whether it is worth looking at properties in Cobh?
    Any specific areas in Cobh that are best avoided?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

You might get more replies in the Cork City forum but here’s my bit anyway.

10 years ago I would have felt it was a bit rough. And maybe it was. But that’s not the case now. It’s the biggest town I’ve n East Cork, yes bigger than Midleton.

I’ve lived in other towns in Cork and recently bought a house in Cobh. I had all the same concerns and fears that you have but they turned out to be overblown.

Yes there is one bridge in and out of the town and it might get blocked once every 2 years but that’s not really a reason to avoid the place.

There’s solid transport links, regular bus, train and ferry.

The only thing it’s missing really is a decent gym!

But what tipped it for me was there is still great value to be had there in terms of houses.

Compare what money will get you in Midleton, Blarney etc and you’ll see what I mean.

Some new build developemwnts coming on stream too if that’s the market you’re looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Just another Customer

sozbox wrote: »
    You might get more replies in the Cork City forum but here’s my bit anyway.

10 years ago I would have felt it was a bit rough. And maybe it was. But that’s not the case now. It’s the biggest town I’ve n East Cork, yes bigger than Midleton.

I’ve lived in other towns in Cork and recently bought a house in Cobh. I had all the same concerns and fears that you have but they turned out to be overblown.

Yes there is one bridge in and out of the town and it might get blocked once every 2 years but that’s not really a reason to avoid the place.

There’s solid transport links, regular bus, train and ferry.

The only thing it’s missing really is a decent gym!

But what tipped it for me was there is still great value to be had there in terms of houses.

Compare what money will get you in Midleton, Blarney etc and you’ll see what I mean.

Some new build developemwnts coming on stream too if that’s the market you’re looking at?
    Thanks for the detailed feedback Sozbox. That's very helpful.

I completely agree that you have a good few options of houses in Cobh for a decent amount as compared to other areas in Cork.

While new build would be the preference, we are open to a second-hand house as well as long as its good.

Given that buying a house inside cork city is no longer feasible for everyone, we are pushed to look out in places like Cobh, Carrigtwohill, Passage west, Midleton. But once we decide to move away, we come across various comments about how we need to avoid some of the above mentioned places. Some may be right, some may be wrong. Personally, I have not had any bad experiences in any of these areas and have friends living in these places as well, but have developed a mental block in looking at houses in these areas now. Unfair to people living there for generations, I know, but unfortunately this is what is happening once you get into a house hunt.

Cobh looks fine to us and we do not see why we would not be happy living there.

It helps to hear from someone like you who is currently living there and shares an honest opinion about the area. I was a little shaken by the 2007/08 messages which directed towards 'completely avoid Cobh' suggestions. Thanks.

So was I when I read them but the more I asked around the more I figured out that the most negative comments came from people with no experience of the town.

Go out for a meal/drink there some Saturday night and see for yourself. That’s what I did.

In terms of new builds you’d be looking at:
    Martello - good value 3 bed semis
    Cooline- mix of terrace/semis/detached at reasonable prices
    Dun Farraige - pricey but with great views

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

I'd like to row in here. We live in Dublin but looking to move to Cork. Cobh hadn't really entered our thoughts until last week really when we discovered there's a train to city and magnificent views for better value than new build in Ballintemple /Blackrock

Thanks. Will spend some time during this weekend there.

• Advertisement

I'd like to row in here. We live in Dublin but looking to move to Cork. Cobh hadn't really entered our thoughts until last week really when we discovered there's a train to city and magnificent views for better value than new build in Ballintemple /Blackrock

We noticed that too. Serious value down there for now at least.

Have noticed that subsequent phases in new developments have been increased in price to the tune of 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 frustrated_

Ive posted this in another thread.

Cobh is highly underrated IMO. I'm a South Co Dubliner that made the move down there.

The town was somewhat derelict and unloved a few years ago so maybe thats where peoples impression that the place was rough came from, although I'm yet to experience any of that. As a towns architecture goes I think it's one of the most picturesque in Ireland. Granted it still needs a lot of work and is not perfect. Since I made the move it has been booming for house purchases and renovations. About a year ago you could see a skip on nearly every street near the village with work being carried out.

Restaurants
    You have 3 waterfront establishments, The Titanic, The Quays and The Waterfront with decent enough food (all good but not very adventurous) with great outdoor space and even better maritime views. Even if the cruise ships aren't in you can watch sailing/tour boats and the navy passing by with clear views over to Spike Island. However the town badly needs a decent restaurant or two for the evening times.

Cafes
    Seasalt is excellent, nearby Fota Clubhouse, Bramley Lodge on the road in and Bakestone in Fota Retail park would have the best menus for me. There are more cafes in the town if you're a fry up or toastie type of person (they haven't discovered quinoa just yet)

Shops
    Supervalu, Aldi, Lidl (all on the road in) and a large Centra in the village. Like a lot of towns in Ireland it has too many charity shops, bookies, takeaways and not enough independent shops. There are a few artists in the town with a couple of small art galleries.

Houses
    Lots and lots of victorian houses and cottages in the area, on hilly slopes which makes for a picturesque town and gives stunning views. Annoying coming home from the pub. Very few are done up or modernised, that is changing though.

Public Realm and Parks
    Cobh Tidy Towns do stellar work in the area and have won gold several times. The park across from the Commodore that they maintain would have you thinking you are on the English seafront and the area around Whitepoint is stunning.

The town needs TLC though. The pathways and light fixtures are old, crumbling and a mish mash of shoddy materials, shopfronts need attention and the outdoor areas need greening up and calming down, it can feel a bit hectic. Despite most of the town buildings being protected Cork County Council don't appear to enforce this. So you end up with plastic kebab shop signs and white PVC everywhere.

TLDR: The town is beautiful but needs further development. I hope a few more really good restaurants open up to feed me in the evenings.

PS: The locals are ridiculously friendly.

Hi Frustrated_, thanks for the detailed reply covering the key points that a house buyer is looking for. May I ask if Rushbrooke or near town centre is a better buy in your opinion? Does it matter?

Advertisement