Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir GoMo - €9.99/month SIM only (unlimited calls, texts and 80GB data, 10Gb EU Roam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

theShire wrote: »
    I just tried this with the original SIM number rather than my ported number and i got 'sorry you must call 171 from your meteor phone'

So GoMo is just a rebrand/reopen of Meteor.

No Meteor owned a network. This is a virtual one with no fixed assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Basically yes, exact same network as Eir surprised with the meteor voicemail thought they would have started fresh.
    It's aimed at students and people who don't rely on their phones daily.
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    What do you mean by this, “it’s aimed at students and people who don’t rely on their phones daily”

It’s practically the same plan as eir’s sim only plan but with an excellent price point. I know loads who have moved already and they would be heavy phone users, both calls and data and they aren’t students.

It's exactly the same as Eir's simplicity €30 prepay plan....except some of us got that plan for €20 during an Offer Period. I still swapped over to this though. It's a slightly better saving than a tenner a month too, as on the Simplicity plan I had to top-up every 28 days. This one seems to be monthly (or 30 days according to one Ad I spotted).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Its worth a punt for a month to see how it pans out. If its awful I'll jump ship again!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You've no service anywhere besides online webchat, something goes wrong on Thursday afternoon it'll be Monday or Tuesday before your back on the air. Suit a lot of people but a lot more it could cost them more than they'll save in the year.
    Going to use one for a smart device couldn't afford to be at the mercy of eircom without any support there bad enough when they actually offer support.

Sure those of us currently with Eir are in the same boat now as it is, Eir mobile customer care is brutal. Ive been an Eir/Meteor customer for years and I could count on one hand the amout of major outages theyve had in that time. Id go as far and say three have had more outages.

I do get what you are saying however they are still operating under the Eir network and share the same owners unlike other MVNO operators who are just piggy backing on the three network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

If I put my port date in as Saturday but don't receive the Gomo sim card by then will my current sim stop working on Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

You've no service anywhere besides online webchat, something goes wrong on Thursday afternoon it'll be Monday or Tuesday before your back on the air.

Does this happen a lot? I've been nearly 20 years on O2 and then Vodafone and can't think of a time where I had to call support about technical issues - and just a few times about billing.

Also don't buy the idea that phone support is better than online support. 2019 and most tech support I deal with (work realated) is better if you can get online chat.

Fingers crossed it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sure those of us currently with Eir are in the same boat now as it is, Eir mobile customer care is brutal. Ive been an Eir/Meteor customer for years and I could count on one hand the amout of major outages theyve had in that time. Id go as far and say three have had more outages.

I do get what you are saying however they are still operating under the Eir network and share the same owners unlike other MVNO operators who are just piggy backing on the three network.

I'm not on about outages, they all have their moments, if you lose your phone or damage your sim Thursday you won't be back on the air until the following week. Maybe they'll use couriers for Saturday delivery of a replacement sim but I doubt it at 9.99pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm not on about outages, they all have their moments, if you lose your phone or damage your sim Thursday you won't be back on the air until the following week. Maybe they'll use couriers for Saturday delivery of a replacement sim but I doubt it at 9.99pm.

So don’t go for a cheap deal in case you lose your phone?

I’ll take my chances.

Fair point, but for 9.99 its definitely worth the gamble in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Regardless of who you are with, I'd hazard a guess and say that it would be the following week anyway if you lost your 'phone on a Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

I use WhatsApp to call friends abroad. Would I still be able to with this deal?

adox wrote: »
    So don’t go for a cheap deal in case you lose your phone?

I’ll take my chances.

Exactly I can't afford to be off the air for that long as I said it'll suit people who don't care about being uncontactable. Wish I had the luxury.
    Good value for a data sim, think Virgin were doing a similar offer for €5 a month a while back but unfortunately I'm not in a virgin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

BO-JANGLES wrote: »

Yes

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Regardless of who you are with, I'd hazard a guess and say that it would be the following week anyway if you lost your 'phone on a Thursday.

No with the real networks you can just walk into a store and get a new sim and your back up and running shortly.

BO-JANGLES wrote: »

Absolutely, wifi calling is something totally different and people are automatically assuming that because GoMo wont offer WiFi Calling apps like WhatsApp and Messenger wont work for calling your contacts.

Absolutely, wifi calling is something totally different and people are automatically assuming that because GoMo wont offer WiFi Calling apps like WhatsApp and Messenger wont work for calling your contacts.

There's a 30cent charge for VOIP calls in their prices I assume thats it you manage to get through all the data. WhatsApp, Messenger etc use VoIP I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Post #846 indicates that wifi calling is available on GOMO.

There's a 30cent charge for VOIP calls in their prices I assume thats it you manage to get through all the data. WhatsApp, Messenger etc use VoIP I think...

Nope, dont worry about that, Whatapp and Messenger are technically VOIP, but not in the sense they reference in their pricing structure, trust me, you can use away on your Whatsapp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

That would seem to be a charge (per minute) for calling VOIP numbers

edit; it doesn't make it clear if they consider this part of your Data Package or not. I would guess it's not, as when you reach your 80G Cap they throttle you rather than charge you.

I can honestly say in over 20 years owning mobile phones I’ve never lost one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Touch wood.

Nope, dont worry about that, Whatapp and Messenger are technically VOIP, but not in the sense they reference in their pricing structure, trust me, you can use away on your Whatsapp

If you call let's say an 01 number and their using a VoIP system is that what their referring to, again I assume that's if you use up all your allowance, you probably need therapy at that stage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just got my welcome email, 49 hours after placing order. SIM arrived in the post this morning. Won't be activating it for about 2 weeks, until my eir/meteor €20 offer nears end.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Touch wood.

Having said all that I signed up for my wife so the sim isn’t for me.

Either have I but I've had a few stolen. Here's a tip, if the boot door doesn't close the first time don't slam it a second time. Might save you buying a new phone.

Lissavane wrote: »
    Post #846 indicates that wifi calling is available on GOMO.

As I haven't received my sim yet, I cant confirm one way or the other, but I just checked on my son's phone, his sim came today, he doesn't have the option for wifi calling on his One Plus 6 phone. I'd rather not try his sim in my phone as i dont want to mess up my imessage settings.

I currently have wifi calling with Eir, but I never use it as I find it to unstable in parts of the house with weak wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Inviere

The Cush wrote: »
    Just got my welcome email, 49 hours after placing order. SIM arrived in the post this morning. Won't be activating it for about 2 weeks, until my eir/meteor €20 offer nears end.

I'll be the same. Do you know if we have to manually cancel an existing eir offer?

The Cush wrote: »

But you've already paid for this months usage in your 9.99 activation fee, so technically you've nothing to lose by setting it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

swinson wrote: »
    Got the SIM

29 Mbps download, 15.7 Mbps upload

Compared to Virgin / 3 network 60 download 33 upload with 40GB cap.

Acceptable for the price.

Are you receiving verification texts for online banking etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Inviere wrote: »
    I'll be the same. Do you know if we have to manually cancel an existing eir offer?

Prepay? No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement