Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir GoMo - €9.99/month SIM only (unlimited calls, texts and 80GB data, 10Gb EU Roam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Ordered my SIM Tuesday @ 6pm, arrived yesterday and ported this morning.

Was getting 0.25-2 Mbps indoors at home with Three. We seemed to be in some weird blackspot in Galway City as several masts nearby.

Getting 50-60 Mbps now on GoMo - massive speed upgrade and less than half the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

coolcreen wrote: »
    I wish to buy a sim with a new number from GOMO and retain my present Vodafone number should the coverage with GOMO be unsatisfactory. We live in a mountainous area where coverage is poor.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to port over a GOMO sim to my present Vodafone number after making a purchase of a GOMO sim with a new number? ........difficult question
    yes, this has been answered a million times already.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

People losing their **** over this, this time last week no one even knew about GoMo, they’ve had a massive take up in this so far, currently around 15k have signed up, they had anticipated about 7-8k signing up in the first week, so needless to say, they are really busy, hence the delays in getting SIM cards dispatched.

There was always going to be a few teething problems and with the Eir infrastructure behind them, I’ve no doubt they’ll overcome these issues reality quick.

With the nature of the porting process, there has always been issues between certain providers, these problems aren’t exclusive to Eir/GoMo. Do people not remember the hassles when ID Mobil entered the market and also VM to a lesser extent. When you have a large volume of port requests around the same time, it’s inevitable there will be problems for some.

Regarding signal problems, it’s widely known that the Eir network has problems outside many urban areas, this plan isn’t going to suit everyone, my advice would be speak to people who lives close to you or where you work and see what their experiences are if they are on the Eir network before you decide to join, mind you, for 9.99 it’s worth it just to order a sim and try the service for a few days before deciding if it’s for you or not.

Mr Teeny wrote: »
    Same here. Number ported fine this morning but can’t make calls or send messages. Receiving both fine.

Trying to call out I get automated message saying I’m “barred from making calls”.

Outgoing SMS gets me this:
    “You've reached your account credit limit, you won't be able to go out of bundle until after your next billing date. To speak to our chat team or view our faqs go to www.GoMo.ie. That's it!”

My wife ported her number at same time and all working perfectly... strange

When you log into my.gomo.ie does it say your order is still in progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    does it say your order is still in progress?

FWIW I ordered sim on Tuesday, it arrived Thursday and I ported before lunch, everything working perfectly. But according to mygomo my order is still "in progress".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Does the system allow you to select a number to port over after buying the sim without porting ?

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Does the system allow you to select a number to port over after buying the sim without porting ?

Read the last page

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

biggebruv wrote: »
    But why ask me to pick a time and day if they can’t stick to it.

I asked a family member to hang around the house that day and time cause I was expecting the sim

Because they're giving people the option, it doesn't mean you will have the card...

Seriously you had someone wait in for a sim card.

When you get the physical SIM is when you can port it's an automated service so the options went live as there are ones that did receive quickly.

It's slowing a bit now as so many have joined and are still joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Aquos76 wrote: »
    People losing their **** over this, this time last week no one even knew about GoMo, they’ve had a massive take up in this so far, currently around 15k have signed up, they had anticipated about 7-8k signing up in the first week, so needless to say, they are really busy, hence the delays in getting SIM cards dispatched.

There was always going to be a few teething problems and with the Eir infrastructure behind them, I’ve no doubt they’ll overcome these issues reality quick.

With the nature of the porting process, there has always been issues between certain providers, these problems aren’t exclusive to Eir/GoMo. Do people not remember the hassles when ID Mobil entered the market and also VM to a lesser extent. When you have a large volume of port requests around the same time, it’s inevitable there will be problems for some.

Regarding signal problems, it’s widely known that the Eir network has problems outside many urban areas, this plan isn’t going to suit everyone, my advice would be speak to people who lives close to you or where you work and see what their experiences are if they are on the Eir network before you decide to join, mind you, for 9.99 it’s worth it just to order a sim and try the service for a few days before deciding if it’s for you or not.

Where did you get those figures?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Where did you get those figures?

A friend of mine works for the marketing company who manages their PR, he told me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

BowWow wrote: »
    FWIW I ordered sim on Tuesday, it arrived Thursday and I ported before lunch, everything working perfectly. But according to mygomo my order is still "in progress".
    The same for me, with two lines activated yesterday. It sounds like a teething problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Put it into a phone and test it out as a hotspot. It probably would be quicker than 3mb but it depends on a lot of things.

Oh good thinking. On my own phone with an eir sim I was able to work away (remote into my pc at work) but with the 3 meg broadband I wasn't. It got me thinking this might be a good alternative to the dodgey broadband problem for my parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Mine finally ported. I'm getting pretty much the same 4-6mbit on H I was getting with 48 months at home but that doesn't matter as I have WiFi. I've dual SIM with a Vodafone SIM for work so I'll hardly ever be without coverage and data

Voicemail is my only outstanding issue. When I dial 171, it says that my number isn't recognised. I know this is quite common after porting, but it sounds like I could be waiting for a while.

I might have to divert my missed calls to another line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

jrmb wrote: »
    Voicemail is my only outstanding issue. When I dial 171, it says that my number isn't recognised. I know this is quite common after porting, but it sounds like I could be waiting for a while.

I might have to divert my missed calls to another line.

I have the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Here's what the chat rep said:

"Hi xxxx, that issue is known. I will escalate this and get it sorted. Resolution forecast is 24 hours. Apologies for the inconvenience."

Haven't had credit issues since I was on prepay nearly 10 years ago. Odd to get this error on postpay.

Wife is due to port on Tuesday, I encouraged her to switch. She'll murder me if she has issues.

All sorted now. For those affected it's worth making them aware via chat. They then got back to me via email asking me to restart the phone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Your wife messed up twice so stop blaming Eir

Who's fault is it it's stuck?

Otherwise just so everyone knows, you get two gos at porting and then you have to cancel after.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Who's fault is it it's stuck?

Otherwise just so everyone knows, you get two gos at porting and then you have to cancel after.
    By starting the process using the wrong information, you've thrown a needle into a haystack at a time when the support staff are already inundated. I understand your frustration but no operator has done anything wrong.

By starting the process using the wrong information, you've thrown a needle into a haystack at a time when the support staff are already inundated.

Needle into what haystack? Surely it should just reject and you can try to port again like it did initially?

Are they running on windows 2000 servers that haven't been rebooted in 15 years or something?

Surely it should just reject and you can try to port again like it did initially?
    Unfortunately it's not that simple; one company can't just share your account information with another. They have to take the information you provide at face value. If you make a mistake, it's very difficult to trace and correct the error.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it's not that simple; one company can't just share your account information with another

What is the actual background process for the porting do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey folks, been following this thread from the start, haven't read everything but glanced over and didn't see the following mentioned:

When I get calls now, the number comes up as +35308X as opposed to +3538X for example, when it's a missed call and you go to return the call, it tells me I seem to have mis dialed the number :(

How are other folks receiving calls?

cormie wrote: »
    Hey folks, been following this thread from the start, haven't read everything but glanced over and didn't see the following mentioned:

When I get calls now, the number comes up as +35308X as opposed to +3538X for example, when it's a missed call and you go to return the call, it tells me I seem to have mis dialed the number :(

How are other folks receiving calls?

Not having that issue anyway. Calls coming in fine.

What is the actual background process for the porting do you know?
    You tell the new operator (in your case GoMo) that you want to use their service and to transfer a number that you already have. GoMo double checks that it has permission to take that number by sending a verification code.

Then GoMo has to make sure that your current operator releases your number in an orderly way. If it's a prepay number it's simple - the worst that can happen is that you lose your remaining credit.

If it's billpay (as I think you told them by mistake) they have to be more careful. Someone could have to pay for an unfinished 24-month contract, or a company could forget to cancel a direct debit or standing order.

I don't think Tesco even has billpay, so it's possible that your request has been sent to a department that doesn't exist. This will all take time to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I moved 4 accounts from Three to Virgin two months ago & again the other day to GoMo. I haven't gotten the sims yet but the process so far was much easier than the hoops I had to jump through moving to Virgin. Each separate sim account was created in minutes. honestly one of the easiest online transactions I've ever done.

You tell the new operator (in your case GoMo) that you want to use their service and to transfer a number that you already have. GoMo double checks that it has permission to take that number by sending a verification code.

Then GoMo has to make sure that your current operator releases your number in an orderly way. If it's a prepay number it's simple - the worst that can happen is that you lose your remaining credit.

If it's billpay (as I think you told them by mistake) they have to be more careful. Someone could have to pay for an unfinished 24-month contract, or a company could forget to cancel a direct debit or standing order.

I don't think Tesco even has billpay, so it's possible that your request has been sent to a department that doesn't exist. This will all take time to resolve.

I meant more in the background, is it an automatic system? How do the operators communicate and what checks are done? Is it done in a particular sequence?

Tesco do have bill pay. When we tried initially with bill pay it rejected when it tried to port, when we set it to prepay that is when it got stuck.

FWIW, Tesco said people often have problems porting from them as they prefix account numbers with letters.

I meant more in the background, is it an automatic system? How do the operators communicate and what checks are done? Is it done in a particular sequence?

Tesco do have bill pay. When we tried initially with bill pay it rejected when it tried to port, when we set it to prepay that is when it got stuck.

FWIW, Tesco said people often have problems porting from them as they prefix account numbers with letters.
    In the first instance it's automatic. Afterwards, if you've made a mistake, the correction is manual and can be cumbersome.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Ordered on 16/10, still processing, I assume they are having hard times to coup with number of orders. No sign of delivery date yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82,529 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If not porting a number what prefix will the number they give you have? 087/086/085/083 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If not porting a number what prefix will the number they give you have? 087/086/085/083 ?

It can only be 085 (Eircom)
    Someone said when it goes through to voicemail it says welcome to the meteor voicemail of....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement