Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir GoMo - €9.99/month SIM only (unlimited calls, texts and 80GB data, 10Gb EU Roam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GazzyWazzy

OREGATO wrote: »
    Hi guys, wanted to share my experience to date and also see if anyone's in a similar position.

Ordered last Thursday 17th after lunch time and received the sim today, delivered by an post and I had to sign for it. I did not port my number as I wanted to see if the coverage and quality was up to scratch so I've put the sim into an old phone I had lying around and tried it out today.

Call quality appears to be ok, but I only tried a short twenty second call earlier in the day.

My main issue is the 3g/4g or lack thereof!!

I'm based in South Dublin and all evening I've had an E symbol for data (Samsung Note 4 phone). The speedtests I've ran throughout the day have either not worked at all - 7 times out of 10 or if they have I'm getting around 2.82 down and 0.8 up.

I don't care much for the numbers but I'm finding I can barely load a Google search or news site. Is there anything I could do with the settings to check the data? I've already tried several restarts, airplane mode on/off, mobile data on/off and nothing helps.

Anyone else experience this in Dublin? I'll keep an eye on it over the next while but I'm not sure if this is a teething issue with the network (wishful thinking as I know they're using meteors old infrastructure) or if this bargain was too good to be true.

Exact same story here! South Dublin, got it today. Signal is brutal. Up and down , mostly down. I'm hoping it's just teething problems because I've already ported my number,which was effortless. Rolling back to 3 is gonna be a pita if it comes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Like everyone here , very tempted by this . But I simply don't have the patience to go through all the hassle of the porting issues . Looks like the demand has them all over the place which is not a good sign going forward. Happy for those though that it went through smoothly , the lucky ones . It definetly sounded too good to be true .
    The savings would pay for my iptv for the year too which would be handy . I wouldn't be as intensive on the data use as I say alot of people are here so I'll wait and see .

Will be very interested though to see what they announce once they hit the 100k subs . What's in store after that is anybody's guess .

Let's assume they have 50,000 customers after the second week. Granted a lot of people here have had problems but the majority of people that don't have problems don't bother posting here or on the GoMo Facebook page.
    My SIM came after 6 days and ported in a few minutes the following day. Even for people that are having problems a bit of hassle at the start will soon be forgotten a few months down the line.
    For 10 yo yos it's a steal in my view :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Same here but might calm down in a couple weeks when they get on top of things, i hope it works for most people even i don't join up just to give those other overpriced operators a kick up the arse.

Yeah i imagine things will settle eventually . I don't see anything about an app either which is not terrible but not ideal either . I think ID Mobile were the same with just an online check for usage . It's the customer care that is bothering me . I have land line & broadband through EIR . Service, no issues with it. Customer Care , awful. Spent 3 weeks trying to get a router out of them . Broad band in house suddenly went very bad and pinpointed it to the router . Was out of contract. Chances my arm and said I'd leave if they didn't offer a replacement free . No dice , they actually didn't care . Had been with them 10 years. Signed a 1 year contract to get the router replaced free of charge , that was the condition I agreed to . They said grand , still charged me for it . Spent 3 weeks trying to sort it out . Switching to SIRO when contract runs out.

So not sure what this crowd will be like if EIR is anything to go by .

lighthouse wrote: »
    Let's assume they have 50,000 customers after the second week. Granted a lot of people here have had problems but the majority of people that don't have problems don't bother posting here or on the GoMo Facebook page.
    My SIM came after 6 days and ported in a few minutes the following day. Even for people that are having problems a bit of hassle at the start will soon be forgotten a few months down the line.
    For 10 yo yos it's a steal in my view :)

Yeah thats cool but not ideal for people lets say who need their personal phone for work, etc. I simply couldn't afford to go without my phone while porting issues are getting solved. Also don't have the time to spend on the Chat function either . It would drive me bananas. If it went smoothly I'd jump on it . But there's too many comments here saying it went arse ways which is not a good sign of how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Ported over this evening after waiting over a week for my sim.

Have to say I'm delighted. 4G speeds are significantly faster here in rural Roscommon than on Three who were my previous network.

All this and free calls and texts for €9.99 a month. It really is a fantastic deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Yeah thats cool but not ideal for people lets say who need their personal phone for work, etc. I simply couldn't afford to go without my phone while porting issues are getting solved. Also don't have the time to spend on the Chat function either . It would drive me bananas. If it went smoothly I'd jump on it . But there's too many comments here saying it went arse ways which is not a good sign of how they operate.

They are stumbling because of their popularity, many companies only dream of this 'problem'. The competition are sweating.

degsie wrote: »
    They are stumbling because of their popularity, many companies only dream of this 'problem'. The competition are sweating.

More power to them . Until I hear more promising reports, won't be going near it for the moment . An extra €10 for this month is a better option then having to go through what alot of people here are describing .

More power to them . Until I hear more promising reports, won't be going near it for the moment . An extra €10 for this month is a better option then having to go through what alot of people here are describing .

Thing is if you wait you may miss out on the first 100,000.
    Why not order the SIM and if you are worried about the porting wait a couple of weeks before you port.
    I wonder are some people entering the wrong information when you are asked about the type of account you have ie bill pay or PAYG, they use different names for these. There are 4 different options and you obviously need to put in the correct one.
    Probably doesn't explain all the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Got 2 SIMS tried to port one (didn't want both phones out of action if things went wrong) at half three today. Still says porting in progress as of now. My 3 SIM is still live.
    I tried to cancel the port, it will let me cancel and confirm but when I try to reschedule I get the following ' port details already captured and in progress for this number' So looks like it's going to be an ordeal.
    By the way I had two phones on my three account so I entered postpay multiline. Would that be right.

Thing is if you wait you may miss out on the first 100,000.
    Why not order the SIM and if you are worried about the porting wait a couple of weeks before you port.
    I wonder are some people entering the wrong information when you are asked about the type of account you have ie bill pay or PAYG, they use different names for these. There are 4 different options and you obviously need to put in the correct one.
    Probably doesn't explain all the issues.

I had considered this. But just from a personal perspective, I have not gone through a porting procedure before and this has put me right off . If there were a few instances , you'd put it down to teething issues . Not the case here . They made a bollix of it no matter what way you look at it . Maybe they were willing to face the complaints. But word travels around , great for some , **** for others.

It's a brilliant deal but I'd say alot of people never expected the hassle they've gotton over this .

• Advertisement

I had considered this. But just from a personal perspective, I have not gone through a porting procedure before and this has put me right off . If there were a few instances , you'd put it down to teething issues . Not the case here . They made a bollix of it no matter what way you look at it . Maybe they were willing to face the complaints. But word travels around , great for some , **** for others.

It's a brilliant deal but I'd say alot of people never expected the hassle they've gotton over this .

I ported once before from Three to Lycamobile without problems so maybe felt a bit more comfortable about doing it. I guess I took a chance and maybe some people can't afford to be without their phone.
    Pity so many people are having such problems because when it works it's pretty good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Ported mine at 3pm today. 3:10 before I lost my Eir Signal. 3:13 all was complete.
    In fairness, there must be at least 15,000 new Gomo customers by now. Probably thousands more. There are probably 200 people on this Thread with issues (not questions). Most of those will simply be sorted automatically rather than by Customer Care.
    For a Bare-bones Operation they seem to be doing fairly well so far. TBH the biggest potential issue down the line is going to be contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

Ported 2 numbers successfully today after a wait of 24-48 hours from the time I have specified.
    One number has an issue with calls for about an hour after but it fixed itself.

So far very happy with it... you just need some patience! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

TBH the biggest potential issue down the line is going to be contention.
    Even 100k users won't strain modern infrastructure, plenty of potential for growth.

I ported once before from Three to Lycamobile without problems so maybe felt a bit more comfortable about doing it. I guess I took a chance and maybe some people can't afford to be without their phone.
    Pity so many people are having such problems because when it works it's pretty good. :)

Again , just my opinion on this . I'm sure it has gone smoothly for 1000s of people but between here and Twitter , I wasn't expecting all these problems . I want this deal but as I said previously, can't afford for the phone to be out of commission for my line of work . Alternative is to throw the SIM into a spare phone and just tell the people who need to get in touch with me to use the alternate number .

I assume , at least, that there are no issues with the number they assign you before the port ?
    Also , if anyone else wants to reply, what option did they put for pay as you go customers from other networks? Maybe you are correct about that and that is causing the issues. I think there are 4 options when I looked at it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

SIM arrived and had to wait 2 days to activate but no big deal as I had to give 30 days notice to 3 mobile anyway. So far well impressed with data speeds.

Down 24.2
    Up 5.97

dsaint1 wrote:
    SIM arrived and had to wait 2 days to activate but no big deal as I had to give 30 days notice to 3 mobile anyway. So far well impressed with data speeds.

Do you mean 2 days from when you started to port

Do you mean 2 days from when you started to port

No, porting took about 2 mins.....my SIM card arrived 2 days ago but my account was not showing it online. It popped up today and I immediately ported it for to activate in 2 mins. So, 5 mins later old number was ported and all ok.

dsaint1 wrote:
    No, porting took about 2 mins.....

Good for you, one of the lucky ones :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Had a quick look at Twitter and they’re getting hammered on it with complaints about messed up porting , compounded by no replies from customer care. Have to say the people they’re using on chat are pretty unprofessional and clearly have very little knowledge or training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Even 100k users won't strain modern infrastructure, plenty of potential for growth.

Not really true for Meteor(Eir).

Outside of a few LTEA sites their capacity is a bit crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Had a quick look at Twitter and they’re getting hammered on it with complaints about messed up porting , compounded by no replies from customer care. Have to say the people they’re using on chat are pretty unprofessional and clearly have very little knowledge or training.
    And, I imagine, getting paid fvck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Maybe not the core network, but on the edges the network is already strained in some high density areas, even without these new customers (Three’s infrastructure is even worse though). While the offer is unquestionably a good one, but if 100k customers join and especially with the generous data allowance I think this can lead to pretty poor experience in the busiest locations and at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

For the multitudes of thousands of people joining and a few having problems - don't matter what network you join, there will always be some who have porting problems - doesn't necessarily mean it's Gomo's problem, could be the other network not releasing the number.
    For a tenner a month you could do no wrong trying it out - it's not like they're making millions from people just signing up
    If you're getting 5Mbs download minimum on a speed test then you're on a good one
    If you're phone is connecting over 4g and getting crap speeds there is an option on your phone to only use 3g - may give a better speed if you're out in the sticks a bit and 4g is not great

Good for you, one of the lucky ones :-)

Well I'm about to sign my parents up for it so will see how that goes.....but just remember that those users that have issues will come on here and complain about how bad their experience was etc etc but for all the users that have no problems they won't be bothered to report a positive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Test results... Screenshot201910260028295181572046143.jpg

Anyone know why vodafone is mentioned in the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Test results... Screenshot201910260028295181572046143.jpg

Anyone know why vodafone is mentioned in the results?

“Speedtest.net operates entirely over HTTP. It tests pings. This test sends HTTP requests to the selected server.” In your case they are using the Vodafone server to test your speed.

Again , just my opinion on this . I'm sure it has gone smoothly for 1000s of people but between here and Twitter , I wasn't expecting all these problems . I want this deal but as I said previously, can't afford for the phone to be out of commission for my line of work . Alternative is to throw the SIM into a spare phone and just tell the people who need to get in touch with me to use the alternate number .

I assume , at least, that there are no issues with the number they assign you before the port ?
    Also , if anyone else wants to reply, what option did they put for pay as you go customers from other networks? Maybe you are correct about that and that is causing the issues. I think there are 4 options when I looked at it last.

"Prepay registered" is what I used. They did a check and were able to tell me I was with Lycamobile.
    Just did a check on my online credit card statement and see I have only been charged €9.99 so far. Ordered on Thursday night of last week, got SIM Thursday, ported yesterday (Friday)

Adrian Weckler of the Irish Independent has an interesting podcast about GoMo: https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1187685028886700032?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Adrian Weckler of the Irish Independent has an interesting podcast about GoMo: https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1187685028886700032?s=09

Instead of posting a twitter link to the bastion of no idea about BB or mobile networks can you give a tldr description

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement