Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir GoMo - €9.99/month SIM only (unlimited calls, texts and 80GB data, 10Gb EU Roam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Speed test in Eyre Square, Galway just over a half an hour ago.
    Not bad for the 4th best place in the world to be in on a bank holiday weekend. :D:D:D
    https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/5426371944

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

lighthouse wrote: »
    Speed test in Eyre Square, Galway just over a half an hour ago.
    Not bad for the 4th best place in the world to be in on a bank holiday weekend. :D:D:D
    https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/5426371944

Do same test at peak daytime! The difference is crazy! Getting your similar results at night when off peak, day time is like the bad old days of three network, dizzy height of 2mb on 4g if your lucky! This in a town where eir launched 5g !! Cant even provide decent 4g ! And this conclusion is after giving them the benefit of a week testing out and about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anyone who signs up for this without realising the network will be seriously oversubscribed is delusional.
    You get what you pay for and it's still a good deal but may be unusable at times depending on how much bandwidth you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

tuxy wrote: »
    Anyone who signs up for this without realising the network will be seriously oversubscribed is delusional.
    You get what you pay for and it's still a good deal but may be unusable at times depending on how much bandwidth you need.

The last thing GoMo want is bad press and people leaving I would imagine if other providers can deal with large volumes of users as soon as GoMo has issues with the amount of users they will just increase everything so that it works perfectly for everyone, they won’t cap it so much that it is going to be unusable it would be a bad move on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Oige1981 wrote: »
    I would imagine if other providers can deal with large volumes of users as soon as GoMo has issues with the amount of users they will just increase everything so that it works perfectly for everyone, they won’t cap it so much that it is going to be unusable it would be a bad move on their part.

Three mobile have been totally unable to provide adequate capacity in many areas of the country. This is who GoMo will be competing against so can provide the same poor service but at a lower price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Even if they get the 100k customers, the network is more than capable of taking the traffic. The current Eir network would have significantly more users.

I’d be more worried about customer care. It’s worse than Eir currently.
    I signed up on 16th. Still no sims and customer care couldn’t give a damn.

Do same test at peak daytime! The difference is crazy! Getting your similar results at night when off peak, day time is like the bad old days of three network, dizzy height of 2mb on 4g if your lucky! This in a town where eir launched 5g !! Cant even provide decent 4g ! And this conclusion is after giving them the benefit of a week testing out and about!

I live in Salthill and get speeds mostly between 30Mbps and 60Mbps depending on the time of day, consistent strong 4G signal.
    I was in a place not far from Eyre Square last night and my signal had changed from 4G to H and I was getting around 8G download speed. (old building thick walls) I met a friend of mine who has Eir and his phone was showing 4G!
    At the moment I'm getting 18Mbps download. My previous reading was taken outdoors in Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I am willing to bet that you 100% cannot substantiate that comment with factual information. Please feel free to correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

kceire wrote: »
    Even if they get the 100k customers, the network is more than capable of taking the traffic. The current Eir network would have significantly more users.
    Oige1981 wrote: »
    The last thing GoMo want is bad press and people leaving I would imagine if other providers can deal with large volumes of users as soon as GoMo has issues with the amount of users they will just increase everything so that it works perfectly for everyone, they won’t cap it so much that it is going to be unusable it would be a bad move on their part.

A few points:
    - The network was already struggling in some places, even before the introduction of GoMO
    - 100k customers isn’t really a limit, this is 10% of their current customer base and thus a *very* high figure
    - Those users are given a much higher data allowance than what the average Eir user would have gotten until recently, and thus will generate a lot more data traffic than average / strain the network more
    - Upgrading a mobile network requires a lot of capital expenditure and 10 euros per month for this plan probably barely cover the operational expenditures related to the customer (or doesn’t even cover it) - the money would have to come form somewhere else
    - Even if the money is on the table, adding new antennas in dense areas to cope with additional load isn’t just a matter of adding new equipment. You need to find new locations which satisfy regulatory requirements and whereby someone is willing to offer you a lease: this is a pain and takes a long time

Bob24 wrote: »
    A few points:
    - The network was already struggling in some places, even before the introduction of GoMO
    - 100k additional users would be an extra 10%, this is a lot
    - Those users are given a much higher data allowance than what the average Eir user currently gets, and thus will generate a lot more data traffic than average / strain the network more
    - Upgrading a mobile network requires a lot of capital expenditure and 10 euros per month for this plan probably barely cover the operational expenditures related to the customer (or doesn’t even cover it) - the money would have to come form somewhere else
    - Even if the money is on the table, adding new antennas in dense areas to cope with additional load isn’t just a matter of adding new equipment. You new to find new locations which satisfy regulatory requirements and whereby someone is willing to offer you a lease: this is a pain and takes a long time

Having read the comments here about the possible problem with contention with Eir/GoMo taking on an extra 100,000 customers, maybe I need to stop telling people how good this offer is and put them off changing.
    In fact I have been frustrated at the fact that friends of mine aren't jumping at this offer.
    If I start telling them I think the service is really bad they will probably switch then :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cbb1982

I signed up sim received number changed over great reception and internet speed. My husband is Vodafone and gets no reception on one side of house, I have full throughout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

I’m currently with Tesco mobile paying €15 per month if I I sign up will I lose service while my number is porting over to GoMo?

James__10 wrote: »
    I’m currently with Tesco mobile paying €15 per month if I I sign up will I lose service while my number is porting over to GoMo?

Mine ported over in a few minutes from Lycamobile, no problems. Some people have been having problems though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Bob24 wrote: »
    A few points:
    - 100k customers isn’t really a limit, this is 10% of their current customer base and thus a *very* high figure
    - Those users are given a much higher data allowance than what the average Eir user would have gotten until recently, and thus will generate a lot more data traffic than average / strain the network more
    - Even if the money is on the table, adding new antennas in dense areas to cope with additional load isn’t just a matter of adding new equipment. You need to find new locations which satisfy regulatory requirements and whereby someone is willing to offer you a lease: this is a pain and takes a long time

Eir released their 5G network the other day, maybe a lot of bill paying customers will be moving to that, freeing up capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭bromley52

I have been trying to port since last Wednesday but after about 2min I get the following text. I must have tried about 10 times.

"Oh no! We tried to move your number to our network but there is already a move in progress for this number. See our FAQs at gomo.ie/joining-getting-started-with-gomo/#move-number on what to do next and how to complete your move. That's it!"

When I go into my account in gomo there is no move in progress and eir have no request on their end either.
    I have a ticket open with gomo so hopefully they will be able to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Three mobile have been totally unable to provide adequate capacity in many areas of the country. This is who GoMo will be competing against so can provide the same poor service but at a lower price.

Moved to Three mobile a few months ago and they are rubbish. Very poor mobile internet coverage and dropped phonecalls every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I rarely get great speeds with eir but I always get some speed. I find their coverage as good if not better than VF. I never get edge, always slow 3G which is enough for general use. Plenty of 4G in urban environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Guys, the reality is that there's no "best" network in this country.. They all mean a compromise somewhere :

- GoMo: ultra cheap and fantastic value, but no physical retail presence, variable customer support, and on the middling eir infrastructure. On the plus side, only a 30 day contract so you can get out if needed

- Eir: generally decent pricing for decent packages on decent infrastructure, but a complete nightmare to deal with if anything goes wrong. Back office issues (billing, account) are common

- Three: historically the best value (especially for PAYG) so the network is oversubscribed and still dealing with the aging O2 infrastructure. Customer service is poor though. Network issues aren't helped by most of the virtual operators (Virgin, 48) sharing that infrastructure.

- Vodafone: overpriced, poor value, poor service and still trading on the reputation of having the best network (which I'd personally dispute). It's probably better than the other two outside Dublin but far from perfect.

So in summary...

- all have generally poor customer service
    - most are "ok" most of the time from a network perspective
    - the only real difference in most cases is value for money and contract length

Myself, having been on GoMo about a week now, I'm very happy. Is it as fast as some of the others in places? Probably not, but I have wireless access most places I am and only use my phone for messaging, calls, light Web and Internet radio, and a bit of gaming with my son, so it's been perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Tallaght 80Mbps download speed and 20Mbps upload speed, Dublin city centre 0.5Mbps download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

bromley52 wrote: »
    I have been trying to port since last Wednesday but after about 2min I get the following text. I must have tried about 10 times.

Who are you porting from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I wonder how many of these porting issues are down to human error rather than GoMo or any of the other providers. We’ve already seen numerous examples in this threat of people not knowing if the are postpay, prepay multi line etc... The amount of people who also automatically thought their new sim would come with there phone number already on it.

I’ve spoken to one guy who ported his number over and he thought it went fine until he started to get calls and texts that weren’t meant for him. When they eventually sorted it, it transpired that he had incorrectly entered his account number. Obviously he did something wrong, but surely the system should have picked up that the account number and the phone number didn’t match. This has to fall at the feet of three as he was porting from them, and not actually GoMo.

Also, what people are forgetting here, when you go into a shop and move from one company to another, it’s generally the case that the shop is doing the porting process for the customer whereas with GoMo it’s all done by the customer themselves. This was always going to cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A colleague switched to Gomo about a week or so ago. I get virtually zero signal around my work with VF. He was streaming live radio and video with no problems on Gomo.
    Seriously considering changing myself despite having a great deal with VF.
    The missus will be the guinea pig as she has gotten her sim and is switching from 3 who are charging her three times the price for pretty the same package. If she's happy, I'll take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Mr.S wrote: »
    It will however, take GoMo a long time to reach 100k subs, if ever. It's not like overnight 100k subs have been added to the Eir network.

VM Ireland has been around since 2015 and has less than 80k, they have pretty aggressive pricing strategies to get people on board.

VM/48/Lyca never managed to generate the level of buzz that GoMo has nor have VM being as aggressive as GoMo with sim-only unlimited pricing. The VM unlimited plan costs 25 EUR a month. More than double GoMo.

Anecdotal evidence, from friends, family, work colleagues, Boards.ie, Reddit and social media reactions all point towards a phenomenally successful launch.

I bet GoMo will go well beyond 100k and also set a new benchmark for digital-only shadow-brand sim-free competition that eventually competitors will have to copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

They definitely put a lot of marketing behind the offer. As soon as it went live multiple news sources were reporting on it. Even when I told some family members about it later in the day they already knew and had read about it.

I passed a Luas yesterday that was fully branded with the GoMo offer. I can easily see this signing up a huge number of people over the first month.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PantlessNoodle

Just wondering if anyone has any answers to this, the 80 gb cap states if you go over they can limit your speed. I've chatted to them and one person said that if you go over 80gb you wont get charged and another said you will get charged maximum 30 euro. Erm not very clear, i've checked their terms and i can't see any fee for data unless you're roaming.

*UPDATE* he was a new employee and had the info wrong, it is only charged if roaming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

JTMan wrote: »
    VM/48/Lyca never managed to generate the level of buzz that GoMo has nor have VM being as aggressive as GoMo with sim-only unlimited pricing. The VM unlimited plan costs 25 EUR a month. More than double GoMo.

Anecdotal evidence, from friends, family, work colleagues, Boards.ie, Reddit and social media reactions all point towards a phenomenally successful launch.

I bet GoMo will go well beyond 100k and also set a new benchmark for digital-only shadow-brand sim-free competition that eventually competitors will have to copy.
    Yes, hugely successful launch. Anyone know what Neil does for broadband elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Just wondering if anyone has any answers to this, the 80 gb cap states if you go over they can limit your speed. I've chatted to them and one person said that if you go over 80gb you wont get charged and another said you will get charged maximum 30 euro. Erm not very clear, i've checked their terms and i can't see any fee for data unless you're roaming.

*UPDATE* he was a new employee and had the info wrong, it is only charged if roaming

You get throttled but not charged AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Who’s Neil ?
    First man on the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PantlessNoodle

TheDriver wrote: »
    You get throttled but not charged AFAIK

Aye well i've already hit the 80gb fair usage but havent been throttled at all yet but im rural so probs not impacting enough peeps to throttle the data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

tuxy wrote:
    Anyone who signs up for this without realising the network will be seriously oversubscribed is delusional. You get what you pay for and it's still a good deal but may be unusable at times depending on how much bandwidth you need.

So presumably anyone already on Eir is going to have that problem too?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement