Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir GoMo - €9.99/month SIM only (unlimited calls, texts and 80GB data, 10Gb EU Roam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Mine ported in the small hours last night all works well speeds/calls etc.

Do I just pay for a fraction of the bit of October that is left, then the 9.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm not saying they won't do well, they will, and will disrupt the mobile industry and have likely set a new pricing level for PAYG / Sim Free - just not as quick. 100k in the Irish market is a **** tonne.

48 is a funny one, I remember them being massive when they launched with huge campaigns. The pricing was attractive back then wasn't it but they kind of just...fizzled out?
    48 offers became crap compared to tescomobile at the time.

jogdish wrote: »
    Mine ported in the small hours last night all works well speeds/calls etc.

Do I just pay for a fraction of the bit of October that is left, then the 9.99?

9.99 activation fee covered til end of Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Eir released their 5G network the other day, maybe a lot of bill paying customers will be moving to that, freeing up capacity.

Certainly not in signifiant numbers. The number of 5G enabled handset for sale is very limited, and the existing stock already owned by customers is insignificant.

It will take at least another year or 2 to see material numbers moving to 5G.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    - Vodafone: overpriced, poor value, poor service and still trading on the reputation of having the best network (which I'd personally dispute). It's probably better than the other two outside Dublin but far from perfect.

VF's data service is significantly better than the other 2 in Dublin City centre (I have access to all 3 networks and work and live in/near the city centre). Eir is in the middle and Three is last.

Of course experience will vary depending on time and location - if you go to a central high density office area on a bank holiday weekend like today they will all work very well as no one is around. But return on Tuesday evening between 5 and 6PM when people are all going out of the office at the same time and using their mobiles on sluggish public transport and you'll see how each network performs under heavy load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Who’s Neil ?

Xavier Niel who has a controlling stake in Eir who own GoMo.

Xavier Niel also owns iliad in Italy and Free in France.

iliad in Italy launched at 5.99 EUR for unlimited calls, texts and 40 GB of data for the first 500,000 customers with a 9.99 EUR registration fee. When iliad reached 500,000 customers, the price went to 7.99 EUR with unlimited calls, texts, 50 GB of data and international calls to 50 countries included with a 9.99 EUR registration fee.
    100k in the Irish market is a **** tonne

It is but it is reachable with the right pricing, marketing and buzz which GoMo are successfully doing. Revolut have 340,000 customers here with their digital-only banking offering. If you have the right product, the masses will come.
    The pricing was attractive back then wasn't it but they kind of just...fizzled out?

Three stopped investing in 48 after the O2 acquisition. I think they have only kept 48 alive to give the perception to regulators, given that they want to similar acquisitions elsewhere, that the Three acquisition of O2 has not stifled competition. That said, 48 might now provide a route to market for Three to compete with GoMo.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I wonder how many of these porting issues are down to human error rather than GoMo or any of the other providers. We’ve already seen numerous examples in this threat of people not knowing if the are postpay, prepay multi line etc... The amount of people who also automatically thought their new sim would come with there phone number already on it.

I'm sure that there has been some human error... but lots of issues aren't down to the customer.
    I'm on PAYG, with Eir having my address. So, I chose Prepay Registered. For the craic, I've also tried Prepay Unregistered. I get the "oh no" text every time.
    I *can't* chose Postpay, as that requires an account number to proceed, which I obviously don't have. What is concerning is that GoMo support ask for a *GoMo* account number when you deal with them, which AFAIK also isn't a thing... I certainly can't see one in my dashboard.
    Having set up the port for my partner, who was on exactly the same account type as me, and that working flawlessly, I'm pretty sure this isn't down to something I've done.

Is anyone having issues with switching from 3G to 4G. my eir sim would go from 3G to 4G after a call in 1 s whereas gomo sim takes ages to go back to 4G

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

nephster wrote: »
    I'm sure that there has been some human error... but lots of issues aren't down to the customer.
    I'm on PAYG, with Eir having my address. So, I chose Prepay Registered. For the craic, I've also tried Prepay Unregistered. I get the "oh no" text every time.
    I *can't* chose Postpay, as that requires an account number to proceed, which I obviously don't have. What is concerning is that GoMo support ask for a *GoMo* account number when you deal with them, which AFAIK also isn't a thing... I certainly can't see one in my dashboard.
    Having set up the port for my partner, who was on exactly the same account type as me, and that working flawlessly, I'm pretty sure this isn't down to something I've done.

The account number is listed in the welcome to GoMo email.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Sparkrite

nephster wrote: »
    What is concerning is that GoMo support ask for a *GoMo* account number when you deal with them, which AFAIK also isn't a thing... I certainly can't see one in my dashboard.

My account No. was emailed to me shortly after I received my SIM.
    But I agree, you would imagine it should appear within 'Account Details' but it doesn't, at least not yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Should anyone porting from Prepay eir to GoMo choose "Prepay Registered" when setting up the port process?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Davy wrote: »
    The account number is listed in the welcome to GoMo email.

Thanks for that, so it is. In Outlook that's all white text on a white background, so had to go to Gmail... you'd think they'd test that - we always do in work when sending out a mailshot using Mailchimp or similar.
    I didn't get that welcome email until four days after getting my first SIM, which wasn't provisioned until after I got that mail...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm between Cork and Kilkenny cities. Just put in my sim for the first time and the speed tests with Gomo have outperformed Three in Cork city. Will be interested to see what it's like in Kilkenny. My Three service can be bad enough there even only 1 km out of town.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Yes, hugely successful launch. Anyone know what Neil does for broadband elsewhere?

In France (his home turf) the strategy has been minimum investment in the network, very lean operational model, leveraging the historical phone company’s existing infrastructure through regulation allowing to access it and rock bottom prices to build a large customer base. The business model works well but the quality of service has been inferior (loads of throttling), and his company is clearly lagging behind with fibre to the home deployment vs other players. In the last year or 2 he seems to have been trying to move towards a more premium model though, but as far as I can see he is struggling as the existing customer base is rejecting it (they came for cheap prices) and the company’s reputation for cheapo service is a problem to attract premium customers.

Not sure what the plan is for Eir, but the strategy can’t directly translate here as in the Irish market he finds himself being the historical company rather than a new player. But I wouldn’t be surprised with him cutting broadband prices significantly and reducing expenditure (including capex which is a concern in terms of long term network improvement).

My view of Niel is that while I wouldn’t be a customer of his as his companies tend to be lacking a bit in terms of QoS, it is not bad to have him around even from a more demanding consumer’s perspective as he is forcing other companies who offer better service to keep their prices at reasonable levels (looking at France again, Orange - formerly France Telecom - definitely offers a much better broadband and mobile service and consumers are willing to pay more for it, but still their prices have dropped compared to the pre-Niel era). You don't want too much if him though as in the long run it tends to push the whole industry towards a low-price low-investment operating model and to hinder inovation (France used to be a leader in terms of deploying new telecoms technology and after 2 decades of Niel it is now lagging behind in terms of 5G deployment compared to Ireland and many European nations).

I needed to contact them via live chat. I had to wait about 30s and was through. Their CS team are obviously up to speed at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Should anyone porting from Prepay eir to GoMo choose "Prepay Registered" when setting up the port process?

Yes if your personal details are registered with Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bob24 wrote: »
    In France (his home turf) the strategy has been minimum investment in the network, very lean operational model, leveraging the historical phone company’s existing infrastructure through regulation allowing to access it and rock bottom prices to build a large customer base. The business model works well but the quality of service has been inferior (loads of throttling), and his company is clearly lagging behind with fibre to the home deployment vs other players. In the least year or 2 he seems to have been trying to move towards a more premium model though, but as far as I can see he is struggling as the existing customer base is rejecting it (they came for cheap prices) and the company’s reputation for cheapo service is a problem to attract premium customers.

Not sure what the plan is for Eir, but the strategy can’t directly translate here as in the Irish market he finds himself being the historical company rather than a new player. But I wouldn’t be surprise with him cutting prices significantly and reducing expenditure (including capex which is a concern in terms of long term network improvement).

My view of Niel is that while I wouldn’t be a customer of his as his companies tend to be lacking a bit in terms of QoS, it is not bad to have him around even from a more demanding consumer’s perspective as he is forcing other companies who offer better service to keep their prices at reasonable levels (looking at France again, Orange - formerly France Telecom - definitely offers a much better broadband and mobile service and consumers are willing to pay more for it, but still their prices have dropped compared to the pre-Niel era). You don't want too much if him though as in the long run it tends to push the whole industry towards a low-price low-investment operating model (France used to be a leader in terms of deploying new telecoms technology and after 2 decades of Niel it is now lagging behind in terms of 5G deployment compared to Ireland and many European nations).

It's more.simple than that. GoMo will run on the old network (4g) at a lower price point and lower investment cost. Eir will roll out 5g and market at a higher price point and higher quality of service.

If GoMo get 100000 customers they'll turn over 12million a year, which is more than enough to maintain the network and pocket of few quid. It's not rocket surgery...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It's more.simple than that. GoMo will run on the old network (4g) at a lower price point and lower investment cost. Eir will roll out 5g and market at a higher price point and higher quality of service.

If GoMo get 100000 customers they'll turn over 12million a year, which is more than enough to maintain the network and pocket of few quid. It's not rocket surgery...

The question I was answering was about the broadband strategy and the general industry impact, not the mobile strategy.

But having said that there isn't and old network and a new network. It is the same network and gradually gets upgraded with 5G capabilities. So from a income/expenditure perspective GoMo isn't segregated from the rest of Eir - it is just a marketing entity to sell discounted offers while preserving the core brand.

Also the customer base isn't segregated either and even if they do as you said they will see a lot of Eir customers moving to the GoMo offer as they don't have a 5G handset or don't care for 5G and know everything else is the same (significant demand for 5G will take another year or 2 at least). You can't just look at these in terms of do the 10 euros per month cover the marginal cost of providing the service to a new customer, because if that customer came from another Eir offer they were paying 20 euros for, the net result actually is a loss of 10 euros per month for Eir. i.e. GoMo is not only grabbing customers from other networks but also cannibalising Eir's existing operational margin and thus its capacity to invest in network upgrades.

Lastly on what I highlighted in bold, this is not correct. 10 euros per month for 80GB is very little in a developed Western country and possibly doesn't even cover the operational cost. It is fine as a way to temporarily fill unused network capacity and/or to quickly increase the customer base, but in the long term the 7.8 euros they have left after VAT each month certainly don't allow for or justify network upgrades to accommodate these customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

TheDriver wrote: »
    I needed to contact them via live chat. I had to wait about 30s and was through. Their CS team are obviously up to speed at last.

Where's the Live Chat link, I can't find it???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Villan11 wrote: »
    Where's the Live Chat link, I can't find it???

It's not always available.
    Check back in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's not always available.
    Check back in a while.

It appears if you click on the help and support section or at least it did for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭lau1247

Just curious, anyone managed to port over today. I set it to 3pm today. It came and went but nothing happened. Original number is still working.

After half hour into the set time with nothing happening, I changed it back to tuesday (surprised it will still let me do it), with one part in mind that this is a bank holiday weekend just in case so Tuesday may be a better bet.

On the bright side the best speed I got was 137 D / 29.1 U, that was 7am this morning outside Wexford. It dropped off to the 40's D / 20's U as the day progresses. Still very usable.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

lau1247 wrote: »
    Just curious, anyone managed to port over today. I set it to 3pm today. It came and went but nothing happened. Original number is still working.

Port was due to go through at 12pm yesterday, has been "in Progress" since....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭KaneToad

lau1247 wrote: »

After half hour into the set time with nothing happening, I changed it back to tuesday (surprised it will still let me do it), with one part in mind that this is a bank holiday weekend just in case so Tuesday may be a better bet.

On the bright side the best speed I got was 137 D / 29.1 U, that was 7am this morning outside Wexford. It dropped off to the 40's D / 20's U as the day progresses. Still very usable.

Ported today. Successfully. Am impressed with it all..........so far(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

Mine still shows "in progress" and it was ported the Friday before last, I wouldn't count on that. Keep an eye on your current SIM, when it changes to emergency calls only then swap the SIM card over to the new GoMo one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

jakdublin wrote: »
    Pretty much the same for me. Was due to port at 9am yesterday (Friday). Assume we won't be ported over the bank holiday. Very annoying. Banged off an email today but don't expect I'll hear anything back before Tuesday.

I commented on one of their Facebook posts yesterday about being 'in progress' for over 30 hours and today they asked me to DM them. They got back a couple of hours later and said my port was 'stuck' (whatever that means). They've apparently created a ticket to complete the port. I live in hope. I'm porting from VM (just fyi)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I commented on one of their Facebook posts yesterday about being 'in progress' for over 30 hours and today they asked me to DM them. They got back a couple of hours later and said my port was 'stuck' (whatever that means). They've apparently created a ticket to complete the port. I live in hope. I'm porting from VM (just fyi)

I was due to port on Wednesday and still waiting, pain in the hole asking them any more as you must send in all your details every round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭lau1247

I'll wait till Tuesday and see. If it doesn't go through, I'll get on touch with them on FB and see

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Ordered my sim Monday 21st but no sign yet. I chose Mon 28th as port date, before they took that feature down off the website.

No post tomorrow so will my old network be disabled per my port date, even though I don't have my sim card yet?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Ordered my sim Monday 21st but no sign yet. I chose Mon 28th as port date, before they took that feature down off the website.

No post tomorrow so will my old network be disabled per my port date, even though I don't have my sim card yet?!

No. GoMo are pushing out port dates in cases like that.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement