Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo - New MVNO on eir Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Well let's be honest here. All data speeds on all providers are location dependent. Personally in my home Meteor /eir far outstrips all others. Vodafone, the biggest provider with the best coverage, doesn't actually work in my home. I've been with three for the last 10 years but no matter how I tried Vodafone won't work in my home

GoMo is a genuine network provider. It has the exact same coverage as Eir. The only difference, & its well advertised by GoMo, is that they have a very limited customer care service. The 10 or 20 euros you save each month isn't on lesser coverage. Its on less costumer care. They tell you this before you sign up. If this doesn't suit you then don't sign up.

I'm trying it. If I find customer service not good enough then I'll move to another company. I won't moan about the lack of service because I knew about it before I signed up

In fairness without reading boards.ie or other social media outlers, their website doesn't give the impression that there is limited customer care service. Yes contact with them is limited i.e. no contact via a contact number but their is no indication that their customer care team are possibly one of the worst to ever deal with. There is no indication that once you have your SIM (10 working days although when taking your money initially in the early days they said 2 working days) that you may experience numerous issues with porting, lack of voicemail...

So yes people have the right to moan if a company takes their money on a promise that the service they provide will be provided in a timely fashion and with minimal issues. In addition if you do wish to cancel within the 14 day cooling off period they still hold your money for 10 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

listermint wrote: »
    Like any network in the country I suppose..

Not really.

Three have more than 150% the 4G sites that MMC(Eir) have. Eir have done a bit of a telefonica and let the network rot. Its great in a few spots but as a whole its really a bit 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

ED E wrote: »
    Not really.

Three have more than 150% the 4G sites that MMC(Eir) have. Eir have done a bit of a telefonica and let the network rot. Its great in a few spots but as a whole its really a bit 2014.

Yes, three have more 4g infrastructure, but most of it is legacy equipment from O2 which just doubles up on the existing three infrastructure and does offer much benefit except where the three signal was already under pressure due to congestion, probably only in areas of Dublin city centre... The rest doesn't offer much in terms of real world experience.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

So basically they appear to have sent me the wrong SIM and my old number has probably ported across to a SIM that I never received. Since then I have received a couple of emails asking me about my query but no further response from them despite me sending more emails and not being able to speak to anyone on webchat. It's now almost a week since my number should have ported and no replacement SIM to be seen. Then today the Go Mo 085 number on my phone changed number and I started getting texts from someone who thought they were sending texts to an 086 number, which were diverting to the newest Go Mo number on my phone. Another mail to Go Mo - no response and again unable to speak to webchat. So right now, my old number isn't working, the 085 Go Mo number I originally got from them seemed to change today and I don't have a clue where I stand. A complete & utter fXXX up. I'm just hoping that a replacement SIM will arrive soon and my old number will be able to be ported onto that.

Anyone have any hope for me??

Did you try ringing your own number? It's possible that the person who's number is now linked to the GoMo SIM you have has a GoMo SIM with your number linked to it. If so, it might be possible for you both to just exchange SIMs, thereby bypassing GoMo customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Does your barcode say delivered on the AnPost site? If not GoMo wont have started the provisioning process.

I checked - I looked up the "SX" barcode on anpost.ie and it does say it was delivered at 16:44...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Quackster wrote: »
    Did you try ringing your own number? It's possible that the person who's number is now linked to the GoMo SIM you have has a GoMo SIM with your number linked to it. If so, it might be possible for you both to just exchange SIMs, thereby bypassing GoMo customer service.

Yip did that first thing and the auto message is that "this service is unavailable". Got a call tonight from the person who's number has now ported to the GoMo number that my phone changed to earlier today. So it looks like I might have their SIM.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Yes, three have more 4g infrastructure, but most of it is legacy equipment from O2 which just doubles up on the existing three infrastructure and does offer much benefit except where the three signal was already under pressure due to congestion, probably only in areas of Dublin city centre... The rest doesn't offer much in terms of real world experience.

The 150% figure is only H3G erected gear. Not counting 27202. People like to whale on Three but in the last 18mo they've started to come out ahead.

5G is a big problem for them though. Thats yet to be seen.
    byrnefm wrote: »
    I checked - I looked up the "SX" barcode on anpost.ie and it does say it was delivered at 16:44...

GoMos fault so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Not really.

Three goes to pot when you hit country. I find eir has slower but more consistent coverage and speed. It's rare I'd get no signal or less than 2Mb

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yip did that first thing and the auto message is that "this service is unavailable". Got a call tonight from the person who's number has now ported to the GoMo number that my phone changed to earlier today. So it looks like I might have their SIM.:mad:

If you post your SIM to them, that's at least one person sorted.

Also, when you login to My GoMo, is there an 085 number listed there? Ring that number and if someone answers, they have the SIM your number will be ported to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm with GoMo and I expect a regular mobile service from them. I do see a few people having difficulty but with 50k people porting in the last few weeks I would expect some difficulties. I'm sure if 50k ported to three or Vodafone you'd have problems. The unfortunate difference with GoMo is that it takes time to rectify the problem. You're 9.99 limits you to a very limited customer service. Almost 9pm now & I doubt I will have an answer to a problem till Monday afternoon. No shop to walk into tomorrow to hassle the staff.

I don't believe porting is any worse with GoMo than Vodafone. The difference is when you have a problem it will take longer to rectify on GoMo. In fairness to GoMo they don't make any secret of this fact. Once ported & up and running the coverage is the exact same as Eir (Meteor). Once up and running it is terrific value. A third of the price of most 30 day plans & offering 80 gigs of data! Terrific value

This is a fair and level headed post. You just can't expect top notch customer service at this price and to be fair Eir are already known for poor customer service, GoMo is probably an office within Eir's customer service department.

They're facing an unprecedented demand and are trying to catch up. The port issues are well documented at this stage, people have the option to wait. It's not ideal but that's how it is right now.

I understand the frustration, I was a named user on my mam's bill pay account, I wanted to move to Sim only and the only way to do so is port to another network and back, so I ported to Eir from Meteor, my number wouldn't go through and it took two weeks of back and forth to store and calls to get it sorted.

Permanent TSB support is just as bad, but €200 a year with AIB or €20 with PTSB and crap customer service is something I'll live with, even if they cancelled the GF's personal direct debits in the process of closing a joint account...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Day nine. No sim.

Day nine. No sim.

Do they not advise 10 working days?

Do they not advise 10 working days?

I've received a SIM and a replacement SIM so far in 10 working days. Neither work, though...

I've received a SIM and a replacement SIM so far in 10 working days. Neither work, though...

Have you checked whether your phone is network locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

physioman wrote: »
    Careful now with that kind of talk in these parts. There's a pro gomo brigade here who are blind to the problems people are experiencing and telling us what do you expect for 9.99 and just to be patient. At the end of the day they have taken people's money and the arent providing a service they advertised.

Based on personal experience I guess I fall into the "pro GoMo brigade" as you call us but I'm not blind to the problems people are having. Because everything worked out for me I feel sad for people who are without their numbers or have even lost them.
    Hopefully all these people will be sorted but at the end of the day if you pay peanuts expect monkeys. If you end up with more that's a bonus. :D

Have you checked whether your phone is network locked?

It is unlocked - I currently have a Tesco Mobile SIM and a "3" SIM in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Tesco is the same as 3 so the phone might not be unlocked. What phone is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

lighthouse wrote: »

So Vodafone aren't as good as people suggest... Looks like you pay up to 700% more for customer care that is only twice as good...

The good thing is that Eir have commited to improve the CC. GoMo seems so straight forward, I hope I don't have to engage with their CC.

lighthouse wrote: »

No surprise really particularly with billing. I try to stick to payg where I can.

• Advertisement

Have you checked that your phone is unlocked?

So Vodafone aren't as good as people suggest... Looks like you pay up to 700% more for customer care that is only twice as good...

The good thing is that Eir have commited to improve the CC. GoMo seems so straight forward, I hope I don't have to engage with their CC.
    Better to be twice as good as bad. I'm with Vodafone payg and never had an issue. Yeah I pay 20 a month and tried to save by joining gomo but the process was so difficult. I moved from TM who were excellent value for money when they started out but became too problematic.
    Let's hope you don't have to engage gomo CC.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Tesco is the same as 3 so the phone might not be unlocked. What phone is it?

Hi, I bought it unlocked - it's a OnePlus 6.

Better to be twice as good as bad. I'm with Vodafone payg and never had an issue. Yeah I pay 20 a month and tried to save by joining gomo but the process was so difficult. I moved from TM who were excellent value for money when they started out but became too problematic.
    Let's hope you don't have to engage gomo CC.

I moved to Meteor over 10 years ago after Vodafone ripped me off , I have been on Eir for two years and have had little to worry about... The service just works...

Btw, the one time I did engage withe Eir they were relatively efficient... They had charge me about €80 for a bunch of calls I had made to Australia and Dubai... Once we discovered their problem they refunded the money to my account... All happened quicky and without much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

No surprise really particularly with billing. I try to stick to payg where I can.

Worth pointing out that GoMo does not use the Eir billing system. GoMo takes the payment from your card. Also, with a 30 EUR cap, this reduces bill shock risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

JTMan wrote:
    Worth pointing out that GoMo does not use the Eir billing system. GoMo takes the payment from your card. Also, with a 30 EUR cap, this reduces bill shock risk.

The 30 euro cap is on out of bundle charges so the true cap is 39.99 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alexphoenix

pg17 wrote: »
    I'll paraphrase your post to ask my question again

Can anybody tell us if the Eir outgoing mail SMTP server (smtp.eircom.net) will recognise our GoMo mobiles as being on the eir network ?

If this question has not been answered already, I can tell you - YES - after I activated my GoMo SIM, my email web app was able (at last) to send outbound mail from my Eircom.net email address through Eircom's SMTP mail server. 'Phew! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alexphoenix

If this question has not been answered already, I can tell you - YES - after I activated my GoMo SIM, my email web app was able (at last) to send outbound mail from my Eircom.net email address through Eircom's SMTP mail server. 'Phew! :)

Oh! and I'm using mail1.eircom.net or mail2.eircom.net or webmail.eircom.net as the server address (I forget which). Haven't tried smtp.eircom.net :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Does anyone know if I go into eir's store if the staff would be able to help. Still waiting to be ported since monday. Tried the contact form and messaged customer care on twitter and can't find a phone number to talk to someone in person...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I go into eir's store if the staff would be able to help. Still waiting to be ported since monday. Tried the contact form and messaged customer care on twitter and can't find a phone number to talk to someone in person...

Eir stores can't help. There is no phone support.

Have you tried the chat function inside My GoMo?

Advertisement