Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Versus New Zealand Build Up Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

sydthebeat wrote: »
    let me know if you want a phone stream link ;)

Good chance you'll get a decent live stream on YouTube

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I believe everyone is fit, and there will be no surprise selections.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The no.1 problem is if we do manage to beat new zealand it will be a blood and guts effort .....which means were gonna be deflated against an England team who in my opinion are gonna absolutely pump Australia

That's not really a problem. Ireland will have gotten to the semi finals which is the realistic achievement they want. Beating NZ in the World Cup would be a dream come true. And who knows how an Ireland v England semi final would go - England have beaten Ireland in the last few matches, but Ireland will have fire in their bellies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

It'll be interesting to see if Joe chooses Kearney or Larmour at 15.

Personally I'd like to see Larmour get the nod, I think he bring an extra level or unpredictability which we will need to beat the All Blacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I believe everyone is fit, and there will be no surprise selections.
    You spoke too soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

davo2001 wrote: »

Personally I'd like to see Larmour get the nod, I think he bring an extra level or unpredictability which we will need to beat the All Blacks.

Really has to be Kearney for this match doesn't it? Larmour is great at attacking, unpredictable and has a better chance of line breaks etc, but Kearney really can't be beaten in terms of his intelligent defensive cover.

Plus, Larmour and Carberry on the bench means two utility backs. Luke McGrath coming on for Kearney against Japan caused some confusion in the last 10 minutes which, IMO, meant they weren't able to effectively regroup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Really has to be Kearney for this match doesn't it? Larmour is great at attacking, unpredictable and has a better chance of line breaks etc, but Kearney really can't be beaten in terms of his intelligent defensive cover.

Plus, Larmour and Carberry on the bench means two utility backs. Luke McGrath coming on for Kearney against Japan caused some confusion in the last 10 minutes which, IMO, meant they weren't able to effectively regroup.

If we are to stand any hope it should really be Sexton and 10 and Carbery at 15

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

If we are to stand any hope it should really be Sexton and 10 and Carbery at 15

It really shouldn’t..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

davo2001 wrote: »

Bobster will start. Nothing surer. Unpredictable is not an asset in the serious rugby that now faces us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Doing the rounds again on Twitter for the day that's in it, hopefully he shines down again on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsRugby/status/789073708836990977/video/1

Niallof9 wrote: »
    But he's not a level below? If Ryan is a level below of our opponents we might as well give it up as he's one of our best performers.

If New Zealand build a score we don't have the gameplan to play catch up.

We need to score early and double down on our boring inch by inch playbook.

We need to strangle the game, pressure them, deprive of possession as far as we can, kick, need our line-out working securely, and no ****ups in defence or yellow cards. If implemented seccessfully, then we do indeed have a chance
    If Ireland are to win it will be a deadly dull game for the neutral or casual fan. That is what we must hope for. 3 tries max in the game preferable fewer. Ireland nudging a tight finish something like 15-9. It's possible. More likely is an NZ runaway though 40something to teens.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You spoke too soon.

Neither would be involved on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Pikey wrote: »
    They will undoubtedly target Sexton and Murray. Think Carberry should play to confuse them.

But yes if NZ get 3 tries in quick succession it will be game over. Repeat of England Ireland game in the warm ups
    Think well struggle if they succeed and Sexton goes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Herring on the way over to replace an injured Cronin. That's a shame. .

long_b wrote: »
    Herring on the way over to replace an injured Cronin. That's a shame. .

Yep ^

You spoke too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Think well struggle if they succeed and Sexton goes off.

Everyone targets Sexton and Murray. It would be mind-numbingly stupid not to. It is not something to be particularly worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Everyone targets Sexton and Murray. It would be mind-numbingly stupid not to. It is not something to be particularly worried about.

The NZ'ers have a tendency to maim when they target individuals though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

corny wrote: »
    The NZ'ers have a tendency to maim when they target individuals though.

?? No, they don't.

And on the flipside, if we're not targetting their half-backs, I'd be asking serious questions as to why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

evil_seed wrote: »
    Are we doing predictions? Here's mine.

It'll be a tight game. We're going to drag NZ into an arm wrestle of a game. We'll end up chasing the game around the 65 min mark and NZ will run up a margin of 16 points or so. The final score will flatter NZ but won't represent how close the game was

This is pretty much how I see it going. Provided we defend the inevitable opening blitz we should stay with them but around 65 mins they will pull away; its just what they do. Hope we put up a good showing but I cant see us winning, would be very happy to be wrong though but just feel for us to win absolutely everything has to go right, no butterfingers, no missed conversions or penalties, no loss of our own line outs and getting the bounce of the ball. We need everything going our way to pull it off and unfortunately that hasnt been happening of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    This is pretty much how I see it going. Provided we defend the inevitable opening blitz we should stay with them but around 65 mins they will pull away; its just what they do. Hope we put up a good showing but I cant see us winning, would be very happy to be wrong though but just feel for us to win absolutely everything has to go right, no butterfingers, no missed conversions or penalties, no loss of our own line outs and getting the bounce of the ball. We need everything going our way to pull it off and unfortunately that hasnt been happening of late.

So it's due then! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Biggest team game in our sporting history after QF Italia 90.....

Really looking forward to this....

I have a feeling there will be a score or two on it

But also wouldn't be surprised if NZ blow us away....

It's one of those type games...

realistically if NZ go ahead by more than 7 points early Ireland are unlikely to catch them as the tight game plan would have to be abandoned by Ireland the later it got, playing into NZ's hands.

All you can hope for is a good Schmidt game-plan and a proper performance from Ireland (and decent refereeing - Barnes would have suited Ireland more tho). Cue talk of no-plan-B if we lose but rugby is so structured that it's not completely feasible to revert to a "plan b" in the course of a game.

Maybe there is a new "power-play" (poxy phrase imo, up there with "work-ons") that might actually get a score. Although this "holding-things-back" talk is a bit much really.

Rain is forecast for Saturday which has to be more of an advantage for Ireland (once they are not giving away knock-ons at a rate seen earlier in the tournament).

No surprises in the team apparently. I'm a bit disappointed by that.

No surprises in the team apparently. I'm a bit disappointed by that.

Joe is a bit dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't on the Larmour / Kearney call really.

I suppose that he was always going to go with his trusted servant.

That's great news. Surprises would suggest panic, disorder, last minute mind changes, lack of confidence, directionless strategy, spinning of the roulette wheel in hope rather than being secure that the best selection is clear and honed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Owen's has reffed the ABs 22 times and they have 19. The 3 loses were to the Boks. He has reffed Ireland 14 times for only 9 wins. This is the 3rd quarter final in a row that he's reffed the ABs. I'm happy with his appointment.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Owen's has reffed the ABs 22 times and they have 19. The 3 loses were to the Boks. He has reffed Ireland 14 times for only 9 wins. This is the 3rd quarter final in a row that he's reffed the ABs. I'm happy with his appointment.

Are you suggesting anything? I hope not.

It seems that the general agreement is that Barnes gives more penalties than Owens who likes to let play continue more and that more of a stop-start game would suit Ireland better (Barnes) than NZ who a more free-flowing game suits (Owens).

Owens seems to have gotten a bit egotistical in the last few years imo and is not as impartial as he once was (tends to have his mind made up when consulting tmo).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12277103

At least NZ finally have a bit of respect for us after two recent wins......They've used a picture of CJ Stander for Larmour..

glasso wrote: »
    It seems that the general agreement is that Barnes gives more penalties than Owens who likes to let play continue more and that more of a stop-start game would suit Ireland better (Barnes) than NZ who a more free-flowing game suits (Owens).

Owens seems to have gotten a bit egotistical in the last few years imo and is not as impartial as he once was (tends to have his mind made up when consulting tmo).

Yea Owens gives less penalties unless of course it’s the 79th minute in say I don’t know.. 2013...

• Advertisement

andymx11 wrote: »
    Yea Owens gives less penalties unless of course it’s the 79th minute in say I don’t know.. 2013...

well not sure if we can blame that one on Owens.

there was a penalty in a bread-and-butter position to be kicked over and that would have been that.

well not sure if we can blame that one on Owens.

there was a penalty in a bread-and-butter position to be kicked over and that would have been that.

He admitted he was wrong to give a penalty

Warning Graphic content

https://youtu.be/XBw7NaUk2dw

Warning Graphic content

Maybe, but as we know it should have been a two-score game by that stage in favour of Ireland. Ireland hoisted themselves on their own petards on that day.

That's great news. Surprises would suggest panic, disorder, last minute mind changes, lack of confidence, directionless strategy, spinning of the roulette wheel in hope rather than being secure that the best selection is clear and honed.

Sounds like you're describing your recent posting efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

It wasn't a bread and butter kick tbf, it was on the right touchline coming across the posts as a right footed kicker. Then you add in the occasion.

cson wrote: »
    It wasn't a bread and butter kick tbf, it was on the right touchline coming across the posts as a right footed kicker. Then you add in the occasion.

JS is a legend but he should have put that over. notwithstanding the side.

I don't think that anyone can say that that was on the right touchline. It's about 14 metres in as he's just inside the 15 metre line.

493109.png

He didn't though, that's the problem

He didn't though, that's the problem

My bad I thought he tweeted something but can’t find it therefore I guess you are correct!

My bad I thought he tweeted something but can’t find it therefore I guess you are correct!
    He said it in an interview. I heard it. But I can't remember what show the interview was on. Thought it was OTB, but not bored enough to go searching through their pods. It wasn't an outright "got it wrong" statement, more of a "possibly might not make the same decision now" kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He said it in an interview. I heard it. But I can't remember what show the interview was on. Thought it was OTB, but not bored enough to go searching through their pods. It wasn't an outright "got it wrong" statement, more of a "possibly might not make the same decision now" kind of thing.

Tubridy, I think or D'Arcy. Heard it as well.

Based on subsequent posts I take this back..... :)

See, if he did say that, it would have been a big story. Other media outlets would have re-reported it with the most sensationalist headlines they could think of. It would have been seized upon in a big way. It would certainly be getting a massive airing this week now that he's been appointed for the quarter-final.

But the only place I have ever seen it mentioned is on boards.ie.

That doesn't really stack up.

See, if he did say that, it would have been a big story. Other media outlets would have re-reported it with the most sensationalist headlines they could think of. It would have been seized upon in a big way. It would certainly be getting a massive airing this week now that he's been appointed for the quarter-final.

I can't answer that. Except to say that Google is not the perfect search engine it likes to think it is. But you have two people here who say they heard the same thing and you think that's trumped by not being able to search it out?

Personally, I'd be questioning any of my own posts that are thanked by Yeah_right this week.

(Don't you ****ing do it Yeah_right... Don't you ****ing do it!)

D'oh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

He did a lunch up at DLSP not long after the interview and was asked about it. Gave a similar answer there. ”Difficult decision at the time, not sure I’d make the same call now” kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

There is no shame in losing to the All Blacks in a World Cup. Go out with a big performance and we can say we were beaten fair and square by (soon to be seen) the best team in the world. No big disgrace and Joe is still a hero given his record and the respect the team, media and fans have for him.

But if we win? By god immortality awaits! The players know this, one epic performance and they make a huge print across history. It’s amongst the biggest games in the history of Irish rugby and we have to live for these moments.
    For NZ we are Japan, a potential banana skin on the way to the next 2 games. They are under pressure to not slip up but we can have that Japan fire of nothing to lose in our belly.

I hope the pressure is now off the team and management to dream big now, go in with an underdog mentality, to defy the odds with a once in a lifetime performance, grand swan song for many and win.

This is not a time for reason but for pashun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Warning Graphic content

Such a a **** call against McGrath, ruck was clearly won at the point, with the ball at Murrays feet. he falls over and Owens blows it up. Preceded by blatant sealing off by NZ at the previous ruck, right in front of Owens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

blackwhite wrote: »
    He did a lunch up at DLSP not long after the interview and was asked about it. Gave a similar answer there. ”Difficult decision at the time, not sure I’d make the same call now” kind of thing.

He did a talk in my rugby club too and I distinctly remember him saying he didn't make a mistake and he stands over his decision.
    Not that it makes any difference anyway.
    Ireland backing off and allowing new Zealand to come hard at us was to blame, not the ref.
    That was before the day's play continued if a penalty was kicked to touch as far as I remember.
    We should have killed that attack dead by fair or foul, I know of a team in black that would have done anything in their power to preserve that lead.
    Anyway, 6 years ago and irrelevant now, can't stand people blaming refs. I don't allow anyone on the team I play on to ever blame a ref after a defeat. If you lose, you didn't do enough to win

He did a talk in my rugby club too and I distinctly remember him saying he didn't make a mistake and he stands over his decision.
    Not that it makes any difference anyway.
    Ireland backing off and allowing new Zealand to come hard at us was to blame, not the ref.
    That was before the day's play continued if a penalty was kicked to touch as far as I remember.
    We should have killed that attack dead by fair or foul, I know of a team in black that would have done anything in their power to preserve that lead.
    Anyway, 6 years ago and irrelevant now, can't stand people blaming refs. I don't allow anyone on the team I play on to ever blame a ref after a defeat. If you lose, you didn't do enough to win

There’s a difference between blaming a ref for loosing (which people aren’t doing here) and calling out a ref for a bad call.

• Advertisement
Advertisement