Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switzerland vs Ireland [Match Thread]

• 15-10-2019 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Huge game tonight!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Cant be any worse than the match against Georgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Vicxas wrote: »

I wouldn't bet on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

3-0 Switzerland, and that's being optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Can’t see any other result than a comfortable enough win for the Swiss.

Would love to see Aaron Connolly start, may as well give it a lash. But I imagine it’ll be a lot of backs to the wall stuff. They’ll be all over us like a cheap suit. Mid field being cut through at will almost.

Hope I’m talking ****e though and we scrape a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Think we will do it. 1.0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

2-0 Switzerland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think it will be real backs to wall stuff with very little possession that ultimately ends in a 1-0 loss. I just can't see us getting a goal. We'll defend very well but it's asking a huge amount to keep the Swiss out for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope I’m wrong but I cannot see anything except a Swiss victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've noticed a lack of anticipation and buzz about potentially reaching a major tournament this evening. I mentioned it to someone earlier that we could qualify and they got confused and thought I was referring to the rugby.

It would be great if we could do it but you'd have to say it's a tall order. Bookies have a Swiss win at 1/2, draw at 11/4 and an Irish win at 13/2.

My heart says we can do it with Duffy channeling the likes of McGrath and Dunne's epic performances of years gone by, but the head says the Swiss are beating us by two goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Hakan Yakin to get a barely believable late call-up and bang 2 goals in against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dont see there much more than a goal in it score wise. We have not been beaten this campaign and conceded what? 2 goals! They defence is very mean! A defeat will leave the Swiss out if I am correct?

I've noticed a lack of anticipation and buzz about potentially reaching a major tournament this evening. I mentioned it to someone earlier that we could qualify and they got confused and thought I was referring to the rugby.

It's very low key alright, you'd miss the days back in the 90s when the country would come to a standstill, pubs packed and TVs brought into classrooms. Have got the all clear for the pub but it won't be "get there at 6 to get good seats near the telly" anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Apparently it’s bucketing down there at the moment with a danger of the pitch being a bit waterlogged. Hopefully the lads don’t lunge in if it goes ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

A three nil hammering would suggest otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭me89

Apparently it’s bucketing down there at the moment with a danger of the pitch being a bit waterlogged. Hopefully the lads don’t lunge in if it goes ahead!

Pitch inspection at 6pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

2-0 Switzerland, they’re many miles ahead of Georgia.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

This is a game for the neutrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

This is a game for the neutrals.

First I was like :confused:
    then I was like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Pitch inspection at 6.00pm now due to the rain. If cancelled it would go ahead tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Think we will do it. 1.0.

You can hope we’ll do it but what would make you think we’ll do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I fear tonight is the beginning of the end for our euro 2020 hopes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I was at Ireland vs Slovakia 0-0.

Gave up going after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

ebbsy wrote: »
    I was at Ireland vs Slovakia 0-0.

Gave up going after that.

Gave up buying a season ticket for various reasons, found it hard to get to the aviva and back on public transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Hoping we keep it tight and maybe Connolly off the bench to win it.

At least we will have another chance against the Danes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dont know what the ridiculous pessimism is about, we are ahead of the Swiss in this group! Yeah I witnessed the Georgia shambles, but I wouldnt be giving the swiss too much credit, will they have more possession and chances, probably. Will they actually win, possibly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If it’s off do both teams get the point and not bother playing it like in rugby lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Game could well be postponed.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Game could well be postponed.

Hopefully not as I'm busy tomorrow night!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    If it’s off do both teams get the point and not bother playing it like in rugby lol

If that was the case I think Ireland would happily take it, but if it is called off tonight then it will be played tomorrow weather permitting.

Pitch inspection coming up in the next few minutes. Wonder what outlet will have the news first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That pitch has to be a huge advantage to us. McGoldrick would have been such an asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The pitch should help us for sure. An act of god, he must cheering for us lol.

• Advertisement

Yeah you would think these conditions would suit us more. If it turns into a messy, muddy, scrappy affair that's more up our alley than theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Given Mick's comments tuning in around 9pm would be fine, you won't miss too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Playing on a drenched bitch is dangerous.

Lol we all love a drenched bitch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think the conditions could affect our possession-based style of play. Will be hard for the lads to pull off the neat one-twos in and around the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Another tough watch coming up tonight, the Swiss are always underrated but very consistent and very hard to beat, I'd grab a point now if I could. 3 0-0 draws would do, hopefully I'll stay awake for the 90 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

KungPao wrote: »
    I think the conditions could affect our possession-based style of play. Will be hard for the lads to pull off the neat one-twos in and around the box.

Nice one.

Post of the night wrapped up, a firm 2 fingers to the #metoo movement from Borne...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not sure what to make of that team. Happy to see Connolly start, not so much McClean. Surprised Hourihane misses out as set pieces will surely be our biggest threat and not sure who will be on them now, although his corners were crap on Saturday. Don't know a hell of a lot about Browne, big game to make your first competitive start. Will it be a diamond midfield or front 3 with Connolly and McClean on the wings? I think I would have preferred to see McClean benched with another centre half on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Diamond with Whelan at the base Hendrick right, McClean left and Browne the tip?

O’Dowda should be in for McClean. Crazy that he’s not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Either a diamond 4-4-2, or a 4-3-3 with Connolly right, McClean left, Collins centre.

Kinda hope it's the former... it's a big enough occasion for him without playing Connolly out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Whelan and McClean.

**** sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Hourihane dropped is baffling.

His set piece ability on Duffys noggin, one of our main attacking threats should be grounds for inclusion alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement