Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switzerland vs Ireland [Match Thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

We might actually have a decent chance of scoring tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

5-3-2 wouldn't surprise me as we played it for a good 25 minutes against Switzerland the last day out with McClean as LWB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

McLean is gonna score tonight isn't he, and buy himself a few more games starting :P.

Might be a chance we do it tonight. Messy, scrappy game where Swiss get frustrated and we get one chance and take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great to see Connolly start but he could have a nightmare. Hopefully he wont and he has a great game

Please God Ireland somehow win this game. What a Christmas we will have after qualifying automatically

Think we will lose thing pretty handy sadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hourihane dropped is baffling.

His set piece ability on Duffys noggin, one of our main attacking threats should be grounds for inclusion alone.

That's my main worry tonight - the quality of our deliveries. In fairness though Hourihane was poor on Saturday.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not sure if this is madness or genius from Mick.

Actually looking forward to the game now though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mokuba wrote: »
    5-3-2 wouldn't surprise me as we played it for a good 25 minutes against Switzerland the last day out with McClean as LWB.

It is clearly 5-3-2.
    Hoping to score first and dig in.
    The problem is what happens if the Swiss score early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

If we actually win this game it'll be our 1st. Time to qualify with a game left

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The pitch looks dreadful, very surprised it got the go ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The problem is what happens if the Swiss score early?

Yep, I’d even go further and say if the Swiss score first at all, chasing is not our strong suit. Finding goals be problematic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If we are playing 5-3-2 it is even more bonkers that McClean is starting, surely to god starting Williams or Long at centre half with Stevens at LWB or else playing Coleman right centre back and Doherty RWB would have made much more sense.

It doesn't make much sense if it's 5-3-2. Hope he just threw that out there to confuse the Swiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Doherty benched when playing 3-5-2 is so Ireland.
    <sarcasm>Glad Collins & Browne are playing both were so good last Saturday </sarcasm>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

good idea having Collins & Connolly up front.

Hoofball will work better with 2 strikers near each other. Like how Burnley do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

So we're playing a system with two wing backs with one of those wing backs being McClean and Matt Doherty not being one of those wing backs... Why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

If we are playing 5-3-2 it is even more bonkers that McClean is starting, surely to god starting Williams or Long at centre half with Stevens at LWB or else playing Coleman right centre back and Doherty RWB would have made much more sense.

I agree, but, It looked good v Swiss last time. Played it at the end of the first half with McClean at lwb and Stevens at lcb and they both looked ok in that period.

Don't know how it came across on TV then but in stadium both were very organised in those roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Doherty one of the best wing backs in the premier league and he sits on the bench wonderful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

So we're playing a system with two wing backs with one of those wing backs being McClean and Matt Doherty not being one of those wing backs... Why?

Doherty with his 4 goals and 7 assists in the PL last season. We can’t be having a guy of that ability playing for us in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

ERG89 wrote: »
    Doherty benched when playing 3-5-2 is so Ireland.
    <sarcasm>Glad Collins & Browne are playing both were so good last Saturday </sarcasm>

What’s with the dig against Browne. He barely got 20 minutes on Saturday. What did you expect him to do. He is actually a fantastic player if you have any clue. One of the best midfielders in the Championship last year and is capable of goals like this.

https://twitter.com/super6/status/1149303394638733312?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

WTF is wrong with RTE player ? Keeps crashing . . RTE piece of sh*t .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Drumpot wrote: »

You can't rely on it at times like this. It always let's you down when you need it the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Can't see us getting a result tonight, I hope I'm wrong. We really blew it the other night. We'll be passed at the finishing post by Switzerland and Denmark. Switzerland have 6 points in the bag after tonight and Denmark will only need a point on the last day against us, while we need to win. I don't see how the media are talking about winning tonight and qualifying with a game to spare, especially given the performance the other night. The game against Denmark is a far better prospect of getting a win than tonight, that’s not likely either though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Drumpot wrote: »

Nothing wrong with it. Just like that all the time. God forbid it freezes and you have to reload through 15 minutes of ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If we win tonight we have qualified.

I know, I can't believe it either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If we win tonight we have qualified.

I know, I can't believe it either.

If.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pitch will be heavy. Would settle for that draw on Saturday here.

RTÉ panelists are rubbish. A draw is feck all use to us imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Whelan in commentary is as miserable as the weather there, depressing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Love Didi Hamann's optimism about us qualifying.

Stranger things have happened.

Long v Germany...

COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Beautiful hearing the crowd sing there.

• Advertisement

Haven't heard our anthem belted out that well in a while.

Haven't heard our anthem belted out that well in a while.

RTÉ must be miles behind. Only playing the Swiss anthem now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Doherty with his 4 goals and 7 assists in the PL last season. We can’t be having a guy of that ability playing for us in defence.

Yes... and personally I prefer the theoretical look of a back three with Coleman in it, with Doherty at RWB.

But I guess it's not as simple as that. With Duffy normally playing on the left of the CB pairing, and (most importantly) Egan to the right, I can see the sense in setting up with another player to the left of Duffy, so he's the one at the heart of the defence. So in that sense, Stevens makes sense. Of course you can still have Duffy at the centre if you play Coleman, but then you have Coleman playing a position he's not totally comfortable with, and Egan also playing in a role he's not comfortable with way over on the left - so that's 2 out of your back 3 not being 100% comfortable.

The way they've gone, Stevens knows what he's at, Duffy is right in the centre of everything, and Egan is playing his natural position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Love Didi Hamann's optimism about us qualifying.

Stranger things have happened.

Long v Germany...

COYBIG

Didi on the sauce already if he thinks we're winning here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

It's the hope that gets ya. Honestly can't see anything but a defeat tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can see us getting badly beaten here.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

We won't get a shot on target.

If Mc Clean gives the ball away 25 times tonight then we have a very big problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well, I'm as ready as I'll ever be for another boring and depressing chapter in Irish football. Let's watch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Forearm me hole, what is Ronnie Whelan on about?

Pitch is in very poor condition.

Dive, Leichsteiner is such a little bitch, pissing and moaning to the ref if an opposition player looks at him.

Strumms wrote: »
    Dive, Leichsteiner is such a little bitch, pissing and moaning to the ref if an opposition player looks at him.

as long as mcclean controls himself, which i doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Ronnie seeing the movment in his Swiss

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Yet another forward pass by us not only not anywhere near a white shirt but booted out for another goal kick, brilliant.

• Advertisement

Stevens and Coleman with two very poor balls already.

as long as mcclean controls himself, which i doubt
    2 free kicks already inside first 5m.

Browne fouled there surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Good stop by Randolph, horrible pitch to try judge the bounce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Jesus this is gonna be a long night

• Advertisement
Advertisement