Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switzerland vs Ireland [Match Thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

For all the hype about connolly he's been average.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Probably stating the obvious but the gulf in technical ability is very evident.
    Every Irish player seems to need two or 3 touches to get the ball under control where as the Swiss are all one touch and off running with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He's not exactly suited to raining balls on his head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭testtech05

I know someone said McClean gave the ball away 25 times at the weekend he must be over half way there again already?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Is there anything to be gained from Ireland qualifying for the Euros?

It'll just be more of this turgid, depressing football; three games of trying to keep it tight and sneak one from a set-play. An outside chance of making the second round before getting trimmed by a decent side and Mick riding off into the sunset with his reputation marginally enhanced.

We'd be better off getting Stephen Kenny in by the end of the year and let him have time to work with the players, bring in new lads and imprint his style on the team ahead of the WC qualifiers.

Regardless of how the next two games go the McCarthy part of this appointment hasn't worked and the sooner his tenure ends the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Yeah, the huge amount of possession and chances created for him really has proved he's useless. Get Hogan on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He's not exactly suited to raining balls on his head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

**** Schar

He knows what he was doing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Jesus, the Swiss only need to glance longingly at the referee to get a free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Lad gets hit in the chest and goes down holding his face expecting the ref to stop the game

Whelan has a lovely right foot

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

We have no midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pathetic from Schar.

Pathetic. Dishonest. I wouldn't appreciate that crap from a teammate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

sugarman wrote: »
    Serious amount of play acting from this lot

Under no circumstances Ireland should boot the ball out. Sod them they are absolute milking any contact

Hendrick has been brutal so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

The Swiss just go straight from defence to attack, our midfield offers absolutely no resistance. They were still showing a replay of our corner when they cut back to the live feed to show Switzerland already with the ball in our box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Probably stating the obvious but the gulf in technical ability is very evident.
    Every Irish player seems to need two or 3 touches to get the ball under control where as the Swiss are all one touch and off running with it.

There is no way in the world that these guys are man for man less technical than the Swiss team (or the Georgian team for that matter). The just have the defensive hoof ball mindset and the football is bet out of them when playing for Ireland. There's no way they made it a professional footballers without technical ability. They are afraid of their lives to express themselves...

I will guarantee you their touch will improve overnight when Stephen Kenny is manager.

that's my 2 cents anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lichtsteiner some man for the ****housery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'd love if we had the ball enough to do any play acting. Not an excuse in the slightest tbh. We aren't even close enough to players to get free kicks, bar Connolly trying to hold it up.

Hendrick has been brutal so far.

He takes 15 minutes to trap a ball and decide what to do with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Takes about ten passes backwards before someone thinks... “actually the goal is the other way”

We haven't been bad really. I've seen much worse.

I would say that we seen more affected by the state of the pitch. They don't seem to be affected technically at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Collins offers very little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Hourihane needs to get on for Hendrick

Will offer more and certainly more from set pieces.

Need to get a few passes together and have a go. A draw is not worth much. This is a free shot have a bloody go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hendrick, Coleman and Mc Clean for experienced players have been crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Glenn not helping anyone with these big hanging yokes as corners. A defender's dream and I'm not talking about Duffy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Mick needs to have the balls to change it at half time, and I don't mean swapping Collins and McClean back around.

We still have a better chance of something out of this than anything against Denmark for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

edgecutter wrote: »
    Jeff Hendrick with acres of space and keeps passing it backwards.
    Mick going absolutely mad at the players to pass it forward.

Another good piece of play and then a rushed panicked shot in acres of space.

• Advertisement

mada999 wrote: »
    There is no way in the world that these guys are man for man less technical than the Swiss team (or the Georgian team for that matter). The just have the defensive hoof ball mindset and the football is bet out of them when playing for Ireland. There's no way they made it a professional footballers without technical ability. They are afraid of their lives to express themselves...

I will guarantee you their touch will improve overnight when Stephen Kenny is manager.

that's my 2 cents anyway..

Sad reality is that they're far superior technically. Refusing to belief that is delusional.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jesus, for once some incisive build up play, then a fûcking back pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

A proverbial mountain to climb in the 2nd half - the alps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

253531-Toblerone-150g-Milk-Chocolate.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Poor game of football. Only bit of quality was that strike for the goal.

Referee is quite weak. We have been getting in the odd promising position, lads just not getting the head up for some reason.
    Swiss not up to much, poor side too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Had one miracle match against Spurs and everyone mad about him. If he doesn’t score a brace there 90% of people never hear of him.

It's a shame we started Connolly.

No impact player now.

This team selection hasn't worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not playing well but it is not going disastrously either, we have looked better since changing to a back four but seriously need to stop misplacing so many simple passes under no pressure. I would be hooking Collins at half time and bringing on either Robinson or Maguire. Not sure Browne has been an upgrade on Hourihane and we are missing his set pieces but our entire midfield has been anonymous.

Ref is fecking riding us as well, falling for every dive the Swiss make and not giving us much in return. Lichsteiner is really getting on my nerves too.

We still have a better chance of something out of this than anything against Denmark for me.

Surely we have a better shot against the Danes in Dublin.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Jesus, for once some incisive build up play, then a fûcking back pass.

Who was that?

Site is about to die.. mysql errors aots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Aimless balls down the flanks.

Mainly overhit.

They need to play it to Connolly or Collins' feet.

Northern Ireland gave these boys a game. Get at them we could get some joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Coleman is awful at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd get Hourihane on for Browne. Don't like the idea of one of our midfielders on a yellow with this ref.

Collins doesn't look likely to score either. I'd get Maguire on at the hour mark if there's no change.

Hard to see us winning this. A 1-1 draw might be doable if we do better in the final third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sad reality is that they're far superior technically. Refusing to belief that is delusional.
    Technically better and stronger on the ball as well.

• Advertisement

Not playing well but it is not going disastrously either, we have looked better since changing to a back four but seriously need to stop misplacing so many simple passes under no pressure. I would be hooking Collins at half time and bringing on either Robinson or Maguire. Not sure Browne has been an upgrade on Hourihane and we are missing his set pieces but our entire midfield has been anonymous.

Ref is fecking riding us as well, falling for every dive the Swiss make and not giving us much in return. Lichsteiner is really getting on my nerves too.

Hendrick getting the most stick, and he's been poor, but you'd hardly know Browne was playing bar getting booked.

Coleman is awful at present.

Been awful since he got injured sadly

callaway92 wrote: »
    Had one miracle match against Spurs and everyone mad about him. If he doesn’t score a brace there 90% of people never hear of him.

Ah here I barely follow the sport and id heard of him he's been as good as anyone else out there tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

callaway92 wrote: »

Wasn't surprised that Connolly's done well tbh.

Showed what he's all about in Toulon and carried that into the PL season.

Everyone has been poor, he's had no service. More to come IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If trophies were handed out for passing the ball out of play we’d be sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement