Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switzerland vs Ireland [Match Thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Whelan is supposed to be a shield in front of the defense ? may as well stick a scarecrow in the middle of the back 4 for all the use it's doing...

get someone else on please.... he's not needed here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Poor first half. The Swiss look dangerous every time they go forward unless something drastic changes theres another one or two goals in it for them. Hard to see what we can do in the second half to try get back into this. Like someone said already I'd like Mick to try something bold and have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Were a shambles

The game of our lives in Dublin vs Denmark is our only hope. Dont think we will get through the playoffs even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Coleman is awful at present.

Seems like he’s lost a yard of pace or something and hasn’t quite altered his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

We're not qualifying are we?

Sad reality is that they're far superior technically. Refusing to belief that is delusional.

are you saying Georgia are more technical also when they were spraying the ball around against us like a 1970s Brazil....

watch when Kenny comes in....it's all about mindset imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

noodler wrote: »
    It's a shame we started Connolly.

No impact player now.

This team selection hasn't worked.
    Mick McCarthy can't win let's be honest...if Connolly didnt start plenty of others would be complaining

You'd get a fleet of Stena Line through our midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

IM still holding out that if we are only 1-0 down with maybe 15 mins to go the swiss will start getting nervous and we might get a couple of chances if they drop deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Drumpot wrote: »
    IM still holding out that if we are only 1-0 down with maybe 15 mins to go the swiss will start getting nervous and we might get a couple of chances if they drop deep.

But a draw does us nothing, we need to win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What is Darragh Maloney talking about? Paraphrasing, "Switzerland putting our qualification on ice for the time being". :confused: I don't think it's going to happen in either game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Sad reality is that they're far superior technically. Refusing to belief that is delusional.

Switzerland are better technically, but what these players produce for us and for their clubs are so far apart.

Hendrick has earned his place back in the Burnley team and looked their best midfielder in their past few games. He shows up for us and looks like he has never seen a football before. Why is that?

Hourihane came into this squad on the back of an amazing performance for Aston Villa v Norwich where he controlled the game. Goal, Assist and won a penalty. Against Georgia he looked like he wouldn't make the Gibraltar XI.

Sure, the likes of Whelan and McClean are scutter but there are players in that squad who can play ball and it's just crazy to me that when they come to international duty they look so incredibly poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

mada999 wrote: »
    are you saying Georgia are more technical also when they were spraying the ball around against us like a 1970s Brazil....

watch when Kenny comes in....it's all about mindset imo

Was talking about the swiss.

Cant wait for hero Kenny to come in and sort this lot out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Nal wrote: »
    We're not qualifying are we?

Nope and it will be heartbreaking for all of us except the hotels and pubs in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

sligeach wrote: »
    What is Darragh Maloney talking about? Paraphrasing, "Switzerland putting our qualification on ice for the time being". :confused:

He wouldn’t know what was inside a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Love him or loathe him, Whelan has been a good servant to Ireland, I like him. But his time has come and gone now, for sure.

I don't know why we haven't called up someone like Jayson Molumby to play in the middle of the park, I think he'd offer far more than Whelan at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Coleman has been awful in position , would like to see Doherty on for him. Robinson in for Collins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ah here I barely follow the sport and id heard of him he's been as good as anyone else out there tbh

I genuinely don’t know where you’d have heard of him.

This is being genuine about it - I work in a Sports Data firm and the only reason I knew about him is because we had to include him in the Brighton roster

Edit - I should say I’m not a massive underage follower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I think Coleman and Hendrick have been very poor over the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Love him or loathe him, Whelan has been a good servant to Ireland, I like him. But his time has come and gone now, for sure.

I don't know why we haven't called up someone like Jayson Molumby to play in the middle of the park, I think he'd offer far more than Whelan at this point.

We're a gas fanbase.

New Messiah every few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

noodler wrote: »
    We're a gas fanbase.

New Messiah every few days.

Hardly hailed Molumby as the new messiah, but I definitely think he'd be a better option. Sure you could argue he's playing at a higher level than Whelan, certainly coming up against better opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

But a draw does us nothing, we need to win

It all but qualifies the Danes doesn't it, making it in theory easier for us to beat them in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

This Collins experiment has been a disaster, he is nowhere near good enough for this level.

Incredible that he not only made the squad over the likes of Long or even Obafemi, but started both games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Who knows?

Denmark away wasn’t much better. We have a habit of nicking undeserved draws!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Hardly hailed Molumby as the new messiah, but I definitely think he'd be a better option. Sure you could argue he's playing at a higher level than Whelan, certainly coming up against better opposition.

Probably a bit too early for him yet but certainly in the near future.

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    I genuinely don’t know where you’d have heard of him.

This is being genuine about it - I work in a Sports Data firm and the only reason I knew about him is because we had to include him in the Brighton roster

Edit - I should say I’m not a massive underage follower

Heard a lot about him at the toulon tournament supprised you haven't heard of him as I mentioned I watch very little premier league or anything like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Were a shambles

The game of our lives in Dublin vs Denmark is our only hope. Dont think we will get through the playoffs even

The play offs are a massive ask.
    Two one off games against 2 different sides over a couple of days. Both possibly away from home. I don't fancy that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's only 1-0, the Swiss have been reluctant to press their advantage, I reckon we should get a bit more into it in this half. We may only get 1-2 good chances though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

The Swiss are such an unlikeable bunch

The Swiss are as nervy as hell when pressed.
    Keep pressing lads, they’ll crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Collins really has no business playing international football. Awful

that's it pen them in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah here.. that defensive throw ending up as a Swiss throw is not on

What the fcuk is Coleman doing?

Doherty for Coleman please ASAP.

Coleman's attitude is not good

He's gonna get himself sent off, he's already on a yellow and was having a go at Akanji after that foul at the start of the half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Doherty for Coleman please ASAP.

This! He's having a shocker and seems off the pace.

they gonna deffo work on coleman and try and get him off......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Looks like his head is gone a bit

• Advertisement

McClean runs away from the ball so as to give the ball player no option whatever.

He has no footballing brain beyond punt chasing

he's losing the plot.... needs to come off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We tried to play football there and looks where it got us...

We are allowing them bully us. Awful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Randy :eek:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great save Randolf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Superb stop from Randolph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Great save by Randolph, lucky it was straight at him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

The amount of times we've contrived to give the ball away at the first sign of pressure is unreal!

• Advertisement

We tried to play football there and looks where it got us...

Looks much better tbh

Advertisement