Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone claiming to be me

• 15-10-2019 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello I am looking for advise,
    the receptionist at my work received a call today from a hotel asking to speak to a person with my name or a similar name they claimed that I had an unpaid bill.

It was pointed out to the caller that a mobile number would have been the contact usually left with the hotel not the employer.

I have never stayed in this hotel. I am mortified. I can't understand where they got my name and place of work. Has this happened to any of you?

I called them back and the girl who made the call was finished her shift.

I will call back tomorrow.

Should I be worried that someone is using my name etc?? Any advise would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Garibaldi?

You should not have much difficulty in proving it was not you. I would report the matter to the Gardaí. The hotel's cctv might help in identifying the person. I'm sure the hotel reported it as soon as the impersonation came to light.

Of course it is also possible the whole matter is a hoax. Not funny if that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Probably had a Daisy98 not pay the billing and are fishing trying to find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    Of course it is also possible the whole matter is a hoax. Not funny if that is the case.
    Another good reason to report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Forget about it and continue on with your life....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If they were chancing their arm in trying to locate the culprit by trying to find anyone of the same name to eliminate then they should not have disclosed their reason to an employee at your workplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Is there any chance they got your name and employer name from Facebook or some other social media account?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Daisy98

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to get more info in the morning, and report it.
    Don't have anything on Facebook or other social media

Just annoying really.
    Thanks and have a good evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Daisy98 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, I am going to get more info in the morning, and report it.
    Don't have anything on Facebook or other social media

Just annoying really.
    Thanks and have a good evening

Are you on LinkedIn with your employer listed there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Daisy98 wrote: »
    I called them back and the girl who made the call was finished her shift.
    Are you certain that is the correct number for the hotel? that it isn't a scam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Daisy98

It wasn't a scam, she had a name similar to mine ( surname was similar) she googled it and started ringing people at home and at work to try to find the person. Hotel was booked by a third party.
    No reasoning with this girl, didn't see the problem with trolling the net to find the person and the upset to everyone else who wasn't involved etc.
    Rang the guards, they are going to pay her a visit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

That's extremely unreasonable. You should also complain via email to the most senior persons email address you can find at the hotel.
    What they did caused you embarrassment and as an entirely innocent party with nothing to do with their issue, that's unacceptable.
    Her superiors may not even be aware of what has been going on.

It isn't standard practice for a business to carry on this way, making accusations against random members of the public like that. Very poor way for a hotel to conduct themselves, and you should make it known to them. What a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd actually be shocked if the guards actually did do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

I'd actually be shocked if the guards actually did do that...

Sounds like this girl is defaming people as she tries to find the actual person who ran out on the bill so for her own sake the guards showing up to warn her might be the best solution. Otherwise her and her company are going to find themselves on the wrong side of a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

La.m wrote: »
    Sounds like this girl is defaming people as she tries to find the actual person who ran out on the bill so for her own sake the guards showing up to warn her might be the best solution. Otherwise her and her company are going to find themselves on the wrong side of a claim.

defamation is a civil matter. Nothing to do with the gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's basically nothing to do with the Gardai, but in my experience they're not jobsworths and will sometimes intervene where they know it'll make a difference to have a Garda say it.

A bit like a solicitor's letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

La.m wrote: »

Warn her about what?

Warn her about what?
    This is a civil matter. I don't think that employee could have been held liable for the financial loss to the hotel (unlike in the case of waiting staff sometimes when customers walk out).So she was interfering without just cause, and upsetting people unnecessarily. I would not like to see her dismissed but someone needs to talk to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Tbh even if you had an unpaid bill disclosing that to an employer is not on.
    I'd be in touch with hotel management about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Tbh even if you had an unpaid bill disclosing that to an employer is not on.
    I'd be in touch with hotel management about it.

Yeah I wouldn't drop it either. I doubt any professional management team would condone this style of harassment and may even be grateful to you for bringing it to their attention.
    If this wagon has done it to you, she's probably done it to others and she could be ruining the reputation of the hotel.

There are literally no circumstances where contacting the workplace of a stranger is acceptable so they don't have a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    This is a civil matter. I don't think that employee could have been held liable for the financial loss to the hotel (unlike in the case of waiting staff sometimes when customers walk out).So she was interfering without just cause, and upsetting people unnecessarily. I would not like to see her dismissed but someone needs to talk to her.

Her JOB is likely debt collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

defamation is a civil matter. Nothing to do with the gardai.
    Behaviour similar to extortion is of interest to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Victor wrote: »
    Behaviour similar to extortion is of interest to them.

there is nothing here that even approaches extortion.

Advertisement