Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornelscourt/Deansgrange/Cabinteely: Lady knocking on door

Options
  • 15-10-2019 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Just had an unusual visit in the form of a well-spoken, blond-haired Dublin woman in her late-40s-early 50s knocking on my front door. She was definitely not a Traveller and she looked like a very ordinary, and genuine, lady.

She expressed her embarrassment and said that she was just calling around to people in the area asking for help in the form of any clothes, shoes, socks and so forth which I could give. When I asked what age were the clothes needed for, she said any age as she had 6 or 7 (I forget exactly) grandchildren staying with her now as they had lost their own homes so everything "particularly socks" would be welcome. She also said if any help could be given to help her go to Powercity and buy a washing machine that would be greatly appreciated. When I asked could she not get help with the washing machine from the Community Welfare Officer she said she contacted him/her and was told she'd have to wait 2.5 weeks as there's a long queue and that she can't wait any longer as her hands are destroyed with all the washing. As it happens, I would have a lot of clothes to give away; I usually bring them to clothes recycling, however. She said she could call back in a week to collect things if it's not too soon, and asked again if we could contribute any cash at all towards the washing machine that would be greatly appreciated but "anything at all" would be appreciated.

Has anybody else here had a visit from this lady? Is it a scam, or is there really this level of poverty in this city (and in this area)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I would only be 98% confident its a scam. The elevated scam would be my worry, not a few socks

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would worry about who is going through your back door while she keeps you talking

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Definitely a scam. The socks/clothes story is to make it sound believable. It's the money that's wanted.

Also as Sept 23 said, she could be checking out the house for a future break in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just had an unusual visit in the form of a well-spoken, blond-haired Dublin woman in her late-40s-early 50s knocking on my front door. She was definitely not a Traveller and she looked like a very ordinary, and genuine, lady.

She expressed her embarrassment and said that she was just calling around to people in the area asking for help in the form of any clothes, shoes, socks and so forth which I could give. When I asked what age were the clothes needed for, she said any age as she had 6 or 7 (I forget exactly) grandchildren staying with her now as they had lost their own homes so everything "particularly socks" would be welcome. She also said if any help could be given to help her go to Powercity and buy a washing machine that would be greatly appreciated. When I asked could she not get help with the washing machine from the Community Welfare Officer she said she contacted him/her and was told she'd have to wait 2.5 weeks as there's a long queue and that she can't wait any longer as her hands are destroyed with all the washing. As it happens, I would have a lot of clothes to give away; I usually bring them to clothes recycling, however. She said she could call back in a week to collect things if it's not too soon, and asked again if we could contribute any cash at all towards the washing machine that would be greatly appreciated but "anything at all" would be appreciated.

Has anybody else here had a visit from this lady? Is it a scam, or is there really this level of poverty in this city (and in this area)?

Its pretty regular and its definitely a scam, its normally "my kids are in school and they have no clothes can you help me".
    she's knocked maybe 3 times this year, she doesnt sound like a traveller but then you see her getting picked up in hiace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Had the same caller once before around Bakers Corner area. My wife was very suspicious (said that this lady clearly appeared to be expensively dressed) and said she kept trying to get a peek inside the house through the door (my wife kept it as closed as possible).

Then she and an older woman jumped in a new Mercedes and off they went. I think my wife might have noted the reg number back when it happened. We’ve now got front and back garden motion cameras, so they’ll be getting reported if they come back, because it’s definitely something dodgy. We’d have a couple of elderly neighbours too, can’t imagine advantages they’re taking with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement