Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three Broadband - Any good with Huawei B525?

• 15-10-2019 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭

Just wanted to know people's opinion on the current state of Three Broadband, preferably in the North-West and with the Huawei B525 router, as I have several issues raised with the KN survey carried out on the property today for fibre broadband. It's been recommended to place down 2/3 poles at no expense, or for ducting to be placed underground at my own cost (Price pending).

I had left Three Broadband several years back due to the 60GB cap that was only available at the time, but since then 4G has become available and the new limit is now 750GB. The previous router I had use with Three was the Huawei WebCube.

Testing the Three mobile data on the phone has always been very stable and is always 4G. This may be due to the Three mast being approx. 400m away from the house, but the download speeds always appear to be worse to the upload speeds.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭MichaelDevers

Anybody able to give feedback on the current state of Three Broadband? Good or Bad? Yay or Nay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nobody can advise how good it's going to be in your house and your phone might not be capable of the highest speeds you can get on 3. They've a 2 week money back guarantee with it, play around with it in different parts of the house and see how it goes.
    Is there any 3 stockist around you they should have a good idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 masterofp

Get the 3Unlimited Broadband 30 Day Contract. I had it, was OK on some days. Unusable on other days. I had external directional antenna...

If it's going to go bad, you are not tied to 12/18/24 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

masterofp wrote: »
    Get the 3Unlimited Broadband 30 Day Contract. I had it, was OK on some days. Unusable on other days. I had external directional antenna...

Did the external antenna make much of a difference? I've been toying with idea of getting one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 masterofp

Did the external antenna make much of a difference? I've been toying with idea of getting one

Initially yes, a bit. Especially with the 4G coverage, as it's very poor in home. I had 3 Broadband as a temp solution before the phone line got installed and FTTC connected. I would not call it reliable at all though. There were days that there was literally no Internet due to mast/network fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Thanks for reply. Mines prob more contention based I get 30 all Day then drops to 2 at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I'd advise going with the €20 prepay all you can eat data sim only and if your happyish with the speeds you can get on a phone at peak times, then buy the b525, b315, b593 yourself. No contract and can leave at anytime.

masterofp wrote: »

This is what I'm manily intersted in doing, as I would prefer to get an unlocked SIM router and go with Three first on the €30 contract. If it's really bad within the area in terms of download/upload, I'll cancel within two weeks and move over to Vodafone (Which is a suprise in the middle of nowhere). This is all pending the pricing for underground ducting, labour, etc.. if the fibre installilation doesn't work out.

westyIrl wrote: »
    I'd advise going with the €20 prepay all you can eat data sim only and if your happyish with the speeds you can get on a phone at peak times, then buy the b525, b315, b593 yourself. No contract and can leave at anytime.

I've already got the €20 PAYG in my phone, but I find it to be very awful during the evening times when it's overloaded. It's only ever good late at night. I'm hoping the €30 bill pay broadband plan is a different stroy, but it's 50/50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I've already got the €20 PAYG in my phone, but I find it to be very awful during the evening times when it's overloaded. It's only ever good late at night. I'm hoping the €30 bill pay broadband plan is a different stroy, but it's 50/50.

It won't be a different story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement