Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeding deer

• 15-10-2019 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Evening all, I came across a good few sights that have been in use feeding deer and believe deer have been shot feeding. Can anyone tell if this is legal or not

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Can anyone tell if this is legal or not
    Nothing prohibiting it.

The only thing that is illegal is to use is poisonous or stupefying bait. In other words something that will cause harm to or kill an animal (any animal). There are exceptions to this, one being if it is done under a section 42 license.
    ....... and believe deer have been shot feeding.
    Belief is not close to knowing, and even then as with the above, there is nothing inherently illegal about it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

Off topic but I was in Austria earlier this year and one of the locals told me that hunters feeding deer sustains the population at higher levels as they’d starve otherwise.

Hadn’t heard that before and I assume there wouldn’t be much eating up the alps in the winter

Doubt it applies anywhere in Ireland though

Lots of feed left out for deer around my parts, as was pointed out to me it’s a different kind of hunting, closer to what I’d describe as deer management rather than stalking

With a well placed high chair or stand it’s safer too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It's MANDATORY for you as a hunter to feed the deer on your reserve over in either Austria or Germany in the off season .Hunting over there is a lifestyle choice,not a hobby,and involves you as a hunter doing more nature conservation than actually shooting anything for 2/3rds of the year.While paying for the privilidge.
    Thats also how and when you do your head count of what is on the reserve and are able to judge ,up close and personal the state of the beasts.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BuckDan

Evening all, I came across a good few sights that have been in use feeding deer and believe deer have been shot feeding. Can anyone tell if this is legal or not

It is illegal to bait/feed deer in ireland furing the hunting season by a hunter ,

I put out lick buckets to my areas come march and june to help the animals gain any minerals they lack in that area ,

Only time deer should be fed is in servear adverse weather such as what was seen in 2010
    Other than that they will have enough natural sources to feed upon ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Blaser1982

BuckDan wrote: »
    It is illegal to bait/feed deer in ireland furing the hunting season by a hunter ,

I put out lick buckets to my areas come march and june to help the animals gain any minerals they lack in that area ,

Only time deer should be fed is in servear adverse weather such as what was seen in 2010
    Other than that they will have enough natural sources to feed upon ,

I recently enquired to the Npws about feeding/baiting deer and response was absolutely nothing illegal in doing so but should be frowned upon by all hunters unless weather is very severe and if so all shooting should cease while feeding is been done. Again nothing illegal in the wildlife act about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

THAT will be the day we should take advice about hunting ethics from a Govt organisation whos attitude seems to be,one deer in Ireland is one deer to many.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Blaser1982 wrote: »
    I recently enquired to the Npws about feeding/baiting deer and response was absolutely nothing illegal in doing so but should be frowned upon by all hunters unless weather is very severe and if so all shooting should cease while feeding is been done. Again nothing illegal in the wildlife act about it.

Translation; its not illegal, but it will be if you start doing it.

Advertisement