Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room to someone but not at weekends. Advice sought.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

jr86 wrote: »
    Couldn't blame ya OP

To be honest if I could afford to live on my own, even knocking a few hundred quid a month off the rent wouldn't persuade me to take on a new housemate - can't put a price on your own space

I absolutely despise house-sharing!

Agree too. Lived in house shares up until last year when I moved into an apt with my partner. We were toying with the idea of renting out the spare room but our own space is worth paying the extra rent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Lesalare wrote: »
    Sorry. you caught me at a stressed out moment. I replied very hastily. My bad. Thanks

Not to worry. I might be a tad cynical but covering own *ss always comes first. :D Anyway best of luck with it. I am sure you won't be long finding someone.

the_syco wrote: »

Anyone who is able to drive to work on Monday morning won't need to rent.

Not sure what you are basing that on, a lot of people do a very long drive on a Monday morning, Galway - Dublin, Galway - Cork etc etc that is not feasible commute daily. Then do the return on a Thursday or Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

Hi,
    I've rented my spare room for the past year like this. It really suits me. Price wise, I've a two bed apt near Sandyford beside Luas. For context, going rate for full rental would about 18-1900. Going full time rate for the spare room with own use of main bathroom seems to be about 750 to 900 plus bills a month.
    My first housemate was an late 40s married man with kids so went home like clockwork every wkd. He stayed Sunday evening (arrived about 10pm) to Friday morning and I charged 600 including all bills. Second housemate (married guy in his 40s only stays Monday evening to Friday morning.) I charge 520 including bills. I think that's fair enough for both of us. He stays in his room in the evening watching Netflix. Rarely see him. Both of them are microwave meals guys so tbh have came with very little stuff. I do all the cleaning at wkds and provide all the household stuff like loo roll etc. I just ask that they do all their laundry at home at the wkds.
    It is more of a niche market but you only need to find one person that it suits. You do wade through a load of people who don't read the ad fully and ask to move in with their partner and cat full time.
    I know you said you're not bothered doing it now but you could always try putting up the ad and seeing who applies and if you like them. That's what I did, I just waited for the right applicant to come in. Took a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 frantastic

I rent a room out Sunday evening to Friday morning. Rent is discounted and bills are split 2/3rds paid by me and 1/3rd by her ( which is prob too generous of me). Lodger is a professional but younger than me. Be strict upfront about extra stays on the friday night! I agreed rare Fridays were ok if agreed in advance which started off fine but I feel like the lodger is beginning to push her luck a bit. We have an agreed extra amount for staying an extra night. Overall works ok as a solution to the fact that I don't want to live with anyone but can't afford to just yet. Having the weekends to myself is great

• Advertisement
Advertisement