Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020..... 1.5m Dairy calves.... discuss.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

kk.man wrote: »
    I would have drafted them on FFS 3 while I noticed a lot were 4s. I wounder would they have being better off letting them go at 3s, I know weights would have been lower but would the extra feed being justified ?

Were they trying to lift the grades?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭kk.man

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Were they trying to lift the grades?
    Don't think it would pay for the small percentage that would come up a grade. A p+ and an 0- would be very little if any before the grid changes came into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Agriland rehashing the ned o Keefe comments, cant see the logic in it been denied outright like it isn't our hasnt happened on a small % of farms, then again Irish culture doesn't like whistleblowers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The Green Party playing to the gallery again in Europe.

https://twitter.com/GraceOSllvn/status/1207077502209970176

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Well I didn't vote for her anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Ms O Sullivan Clare Daly and Mick Wallace will pedal this agenda in Europe going by the latter two's Dail performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Ms O Sullivan Clare Daly and Mick Wallace will pedal this agenda in Europe going by the latter two's Dail performances.

When you see how the government have allowed the forestry sector to be crippled, to nearly the point of standstill because of the environmental agenda you couldn't put anything past them as regards banning exports our slashing allowable nitrate rates, its getting to a stage now no longterm investments can be made on farm that might become white elephants due to the climate change agenda

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Whatever the rights, wrongs, ups, and downs of it, any risk strategy for the Irish dairy sector should factor in live exports of calves being banned.

It’s gaining too much media time to ignore. And very few organisations or politicians will want to be seen defending live exports

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What exactly is wrong with live exports? Are we talking about just young calves here or are we talking about the weanling trade too?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are there figures out there on mortality for live export of calves ? , Just it might be a good idea to know what you're defending before going to bat...
    And if there is an issue ,get in and fix it before it becomes a serious problem ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

What exactly is wrong with live exports? Are we talking about just young calves here or are we talking about the weanling trade too?

Patsy great point and 1 I was literally just about to post. What exactly is wrong with live exports?

From what I can see they travel in top class lorries with top class facilities. A hell of a lot better than taking the underground in London or any city at rush hour I’ll tell you

Again an agenda is being peddled that isn’t based on fact or anything other than emotional nonsense, and what’s worse is that it’s tolerated and actually promoted

The world is a truly ****ed up place now I’ll tell you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are there figures out there on mortality for live export of calves ? , Just it might be a good idea to know what you're defending before going to bat...
    And if there is an issue ,get in and fix it before it becomes a serious problem ...

The mortality is the same as here at home, 100%.:pac:

There have been many attempts to put a huge figure on mortality through transport yet the followers of the livestock lorries still haven't been able to publicise one. They went so fa as to accuse the transporters of swapping in stored calves to replace the dead calves.

Yet any inspection of the same lorries have failed to show up either the stored spare calves or the dead ones they replaced. They reckon there is a box of spare tags to put on the spare calves.

Yet none have been found. And the economics of spending 3 euro on spare tags that have a small chance of being used to put on an 80 euro calf never enters their minds:rolleyes:

Afaik, and I have asked before, there are no records of calves dying during transport with many years. Only the healthiest calves are exported and the only stress they have is being loaded and unloaded for the mandatory feed and rest periods. The evidence is overwhelming on that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Panch18 wrote: »
    Patsy great point and 1 I was literally just about to post. What exactly is wrong with live exports?

From what I can see they travel in top class lorries with top class facilities. A hell of a lot better than taking the underground in London or any city at rush hour I’ll tell you

Again an agenda is being peddled that isn’t based on fact or anything other than emotional nonsense, and what’s worse is that it’s tolerated and actually promoted

The world is a truly ****ed up place now I’ll tell you
    Whatever the rights, wrongs, ups, and downs of it, any risk strategy for the Irish dairy sector should factor in live exports of calves being banned.

It’s gaining too much media time to ignore. And very few organisations or politicians will want to be seen defending live exports

read above first while there is nothing wrong as long as we can continue to export them. But that is the nub of the matter. We can assume that it will never stop that everything will be continue as is.

However there is a huge focus on it. 5 years ago we could export via the UK land bridge. However changes in rules and regulations left the only option but to export via Cherbourg. Private companies can come under huge pressure to change it commercial policies. The EU itself can change the rules at any stage, the Irish Government or French Government can change rules and we can do nothing about it. All of these bodies are susceptible to public pressure.

It is not just calf exports that are under pressure. Export of older cattle to North Africa are also starting to be targeted. There is media campaign's because of slaughter practices in these countries.

Slava Ukrainii

read above first while there is nothing wrong as long as we can continue to export them. But that is the nub of the matter. We can assume that it will never stop that everything will be continue as is.

However there is a huge focus on it. 5 years ago we could export via the UK land bridge. However changes in rules and regulations left the only option but to export via Cherbourg. Private companies can come under huge pressure to change it commercial policies. The EU itself can change the rules at any stage, the Irish Government or French Government can change rules and we can do nothing about it. All of these bodies are susceptible to public pressure.

It is not just calf exports that are under pressure. Export of older cattle to North Africa are also starting to be targeted. There is media campaign's because of slaughter practices in these countries.

I have no issue with live exports and I’ve seen some of the work that goes into getting animals right for export - a neighbour here fed AA heifers for a month before they went on the boat and there was massive hullabaloo over their care. They were better looked after than a lot of humans in our hospital system!

The issue is that we can’t assume other pressures won’t stop or severely curtail live exports. It’ll be some mess if those calves don’t get out of the Irish beef system but nobody should assume common sense will prevail and exports will continue indefinitely.

Teagasc can get away with saying they never thought about the calves. They don’t have real skin in the game. But farmers’ incomes depend on getting things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

alps wrote: »
    A good skim powder was costing about 1900 last Soring. Going to price now for next spring as I'd be pretty sure with the rise in the price of skim that prices will take a bit of a hike.
    Base price wrote: »
    Was onto our supplier on Tuesday, waiting for him to get back.
    Our supplier is holding the same price as last year for orders placed - min of 2 pallets delivered (50x25kg bags per pallet - 30% or 50% skim) but will not commit on price for future orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Our supplier is holding the same price as last year for orders placed - min of 2 pallets delivered (50x25kg bags per pallet - 30% or 50% skim) but will not commit on price for future orders.

What brand please??

What brand please??
    It is an own brand that is not available for general sale in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

The Green Party playing to the gallery again in Europe.

https://twitter.com/GraceOSllvn/status/1207077502209970176

I believe joe Healy is on his way out to help her out , think he has new job lined up out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I believe joe Healy is on his way out to help her out , think he has new job lined up out there!

I'd say he has plenty of offers, best of luck to him

• Advertisement

DAFM are currently conducting "calf welfare inspections" on some dairy farms.

I think it is a positive move. Unfortunately the windy weather has prevented livestock lorries sailing thereby putting additional pressure on farmers.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/calf-welfare-inspections-underway-on-dairy-farms-nationwide/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

DAFM are currently conducting "calf welfare inspections" on some dairy farms.

I think it is a positive move. Unfortunately the windy weather has prevented livestock lorries sailing thereby putting additional pressure on farmers.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/calf-welfare-inspections-underway-on-dairy-farms-nationwide/

Ya they are in cork marts. Theyre more concentrating on starved as opposed to young calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The knackery situation is becoming a concern too - I've had several calves and sheep wash up on my bit of shore in North Mayo since the start of the year:(

Calf kill has skyrocketed this year. Week ending 10/2 nearly 2.5k calves slaughtered up from 1150 in the same week in 2019. Total kill up from 1.8 to 3.4k. looks like calf slaughter numbers will double this year if this trend continues. We kebab about 30k of them.

Slava Ukrainii

Calf kill has skyrocketed this year. Week ending 10/2 nearly 2.5k calves slaughtered up from 1150 in the same week in 2019. Total kill up from 1.8 to 3.4k. looks like calf slaughter numbers will double this year if this trend continues. We kebab about 30k of them.

Not stats we’ll see in the media any time soon. Small numbers overall but not a consumer-friendly aspect all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That’s a good solution in fairness. Better than the post above you anyway.

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s a good solution in fairness. Better than the post above you anyway.

The issue is the exponential climb in numbers. Week ending 10/2 would have.not been considered anywhere near peak.
    Will we have a 10 week issue. Will numbers peak well above 2.5k/week. While it is a necessity it will bring attention, also for how long can co-ops live with those sort of numbers

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Fr bulls seem to be an even worse trade this year. I have them here after feeding them for 5 weeks and they're worthless. Sickening. How is the export trade going this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »
    Fr bulls seem to be an even worse trade this year. I have them here after feeding them for 5 weeks and they're worthless. Sickening. How is the export trade going this year

The extra lairage in Cherbourg is waiting approval atm so that will help in getting more on the boat. Belgian farmers have half empty sheds waiting for bulls from here so there's demand there. Alternate day sailings would be a huge help but the ferries don't seem keen on that for some reason. There does seem to be a good number of calves moving but missing even one sailing causes a backlog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

straight wrote: »

Trade way better than some thought ,no point rearing fr calf for 5/6 weeks and expecting any sort decent price sell at 2 weeks and just take what u get and cut losses

Advertisement