Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020..... 1.5m Dairy calves.... discuss.

Options
1535455565759»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just on the male chicks thing.

The EU rule was only brought in AFTER the technology to sex eggs was developed fully. So instead of male chicks going to the grinder and becoming zoo food, it's now embryos in eggs getting crushed and going to whatever foodchain it goes to.

I'm following New Zealand farmers who'd be in big operations and they're going Montbeliarde, Normande, British Freisian.

Bigger picture anyway is just to make animal farming more awkward, cumbersome, beaurocratic. In the future if the trajectory keeps going it'll be illegal to keep animals for farming. The money and influence is there to take the high stand now and publicly state that any public figure is against animal farming and they get away now without any reason why livestock production is so important. Teagasc our state body of research and stats and figures are absolutely useless on the count and are just agreeing with everything and keeping their heads down so they can continue to promotion and retirement and claim the pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ginger22

Ah shure if you were to listen to all the anti farming BS on the media you wouldnt get up in the morning at all, and indeed all the global warming BS as well. The thing is that food will still be needed in even larger quantities. All the anti farmer rules will only limit production = higher prices for farmers.

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

So what's your pl an for emissions? You can't have your cake and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

@carrollsno1 linked this on another post

Fonterra has banned the slaughter of calves on farm from June this year. That is for the next milking season. They are giving there suppliers only six months notice. Prediction's that some of us made are provings correct.

We can take it from spring 2024 slaughter will be banned in Ireland. I imagine that off farm slaughter below a certain age will follow by Fonterra fairly fast.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If they where to, you'd just have a couple of 100k calves bobbied at whatever age limit they set, but you do realise their is no bluecard system out their our cmms, they have no way of knowing the ages of calves/cows on farm calving dates , it's all self -reported record keeping by farmers, they can push away all they want but it will just lead to a shrinking milk pool, their isnt the land our farmers out their that would even contemplate rearing Bobby jrx bull calves out their

Circa 2 million calves currently bobbied yearly out their

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As I posted in the other thread.

It only applies to the on farm slaughter of calves. Farmers will still be allowed to send them for slaughter in abattoirs. It's really a moot point tbh.

"From June this year, Kiwi suppliers will be banned from euthanising bobby calves on farm, and instead will have to raise them to an older age or send them to an abattoir."

It will only be the first step. What surprised me was the lead in time. Less than six months and at the start of the calving season. Generally any changes our Government make and the EU make are 24+ monthis in advance and that would generally be after a '' consultive process ''. While I knew it was coming into focus I was surprised at the swiftness of the change.

While they may not have a CMMS and cattle tagging system they do depend on outside labour and a lot of that is transient backpackers. It will only take a few videos online and Fonterra will stop taking milk from that supplier. It pretty easy to inspect and look for dockets for calves and where they went. Similar to the milk nitrates and fertilizer rules here there was lads saying about GDPR. Now it up to you to show your adherence to the limits

I also imagine that this is only the first step. Fonterra must have market information that indicates it needed to do this.

While they did not include Australia in the ban yet, Australia as there is no black and white beef in Australia you have to remember that Australia is not really a huge milk/dairy product exporter.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They didn't include Australia because they'd have no suppliers yet if they did processors havent any hold over milk suppliers out their and you can switch yearly between processors , have worked out their and usually the Bobby calves go at 10-14 days old for slaughter, you get circa a dollar a kilo live weight per calf, your really over-estimating the compliance levels out their, it would be 1990's levels here

Main issue on the climate debate is who is wheeled out to debate the issue with the climate/ vegan agenda experts. On the Pat Kenny radio program a few morning ago another farming organisation representive debating it again left himself wide open.

It was one or two text send in afterwards that showed the craziness of some of the Green/vegan agenda

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Redmeat a natural superfood that can be produced in most climates either farmed or hunted definitely doesnt fit their agenda either. Im on the animal based/carnivore lifestyle a month now i found it hard to take vegans seriously before and after a the last month ive had i dont think ill ever be able to take one seriously ever again. Meat heals, the plantbased/made in a plant way of eating is only going to sicken the population and cause problems down the line. I see it with family members who were never big on eating meat and ate more plant based over there lives they wouldnt tie the shoelaces of the ones eating meat througjout their lifetime. Ive a sister younger than me plant based who cant even donate blood due to low iron levels if thats what shes like in her early 20s theres not much hope for her later in life is there

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Capacity at slaughter plants for Bobbying calves is the issue in new zealand at the moment. From july to the end of august there is no spare capacity in their system. Couple this with the end of on farm bobbying, this spring is going to be a busy spring on a new level for many NZ dairy farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

4 limo bull calves sold today. All 11-12 days old. From €160-250.

One friesian bull sold. €15 but he's not drinking milk anymore

I doubt it. Slaughter calves are collected for free ex farm or from marts when they go unsold as they have no commercial value. Remember the press reports a few years ago from I think Bandon mart where unwanted calves were left and their owners refused to collect them.

No it was just @Grueller said it was not drinking milk any more

Slava Ukrainii

I read this the other day and wasn't surprised that the CBV (commercial beef value) of calves couldn't be implemented.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/cbv-only-on-display-in-marts-for-genotyped-calves/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

Or deer. Surely every deer in the country should be deleted or emigrated - live or otherwise. For the sake of emissions reduction.

Advertisement