Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

O'Neill's pub on Suffolk Street has UV lights in the jacks.

Never saw anything approaching trouble in O’Neills... the carvery is one of the if not THE best in Dublin city, all staff are sound and it attracts a nice clientele. A mixture of tourists, shoppers and people popping in for pre theater/gig drinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Almost certainly Delaneys. Was there only once. I kind of figured out it wasn't my kind of place. I don't think it is dangerous unless you fail to observe pool table protocol, they take that seriously.

I think you could be spot on, I just looked it up and got a horrendous flash back. We tried to play the locals and they threatened to break the cues over us if we broke any of the rules.

The Mulk wrote: »
    I remember having dinner and drinking with "Gig" the guy who owned the Gigs Place. A mad auld lad who sang Manuel the Bandito while we were waiting on our food. I wonder if he is still on the go.

I remember him, gas man. I used to love the aul wuns who worked in it too. They always seemed to be in a good mood even though the were serving up meals at 4am to the drunkest people on the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

Gerry G wrote: »
    I was in a bar in the fruit market in Dublin many years ago after doing an almighty Jaysus session all night with a group of friends. Had a full 3 course meal with red wine in Gigs Place at 4am followed by the vat bar and then on down to this pub close to green street. I can't remember the name only that it had a pool table and a load of locals in it at 7am. We had been refused from Bo Derrols, the tap and the cobble stone because we were an absolute shambles at this stage. How we made it out alive of the little local pub I'll never know, dodgiest pub I've ever been in all my days. If anyone has an idea of what the name of it might have been, put a brother out of his misery.

The hacienda bar? Has strange opening hours, has pool table and right beside the fruit market

The hacienda bar? Has strange opening hours, has pool table and right beside the fruit market

Now I'm confused, it could well be the hacienda. Is the pool table in the left hand side as you go in the door, bar on the right hand side? I was absolutely melodeon drunk lads, I can only remember the threats of violence and feck all else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Never been in the Hacienda but it is closer to the fruit markets than Delaneys.

Now I'm confused, it could well be the hacienda. Is the pool table in the left hand side as you go in the door, bar on the right hand side? I was absolutely melodeon drunk lads, I can only remember the threats of violence and feck all else

I can’t remember exactly where the pool table is in it, it’s been a while, it’s a strange pub, they actually buzz you in! It’s a popular spot with celebs and then you’ll have your old school local dubs, owner is an eccentric character

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think a good thread would be traditional 'aul fellas' pubs.

I remember the Waterloo near the junction of Waterloo Road and Baggot Street from the days before it trendified circa 2001. Myself and a few work colleagues went on an impromptu mid-week session. Elderly barman: "sure what would ye want to be ordering more pints for? Ye haven't even finished your first ones!" I think it was the only time a barman basically told us off for spending too much in his pub. Their usual clientele in those days probably went in for their evening two pints and managed to make them last for the night. Pure old school. Now that I think of it it was one of the places the likes of Behan and Kavanagh used to drink in way back so perhaps he didn't like customers drinking too fast as he had seen too many customers die of alcoholism.

The waterloo was a grand spot, more regular older regulars in the front bar while younger crowd would frequent the back lounge. I dont really recognise the above description but then again always possible you managed to capture it on one of its days.

I think its horrible place now, devoid of any character, but i'm one of the aul fellas now meself so i would say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I can’t remember exactly where the pool table is in it, it’s been a while, it’s a strange pub, they actually buzz you in! It’s a popular spot with celebs and then you’ll have your old school local dubs, owner is an eccentric character

Wasn't aware that the Hacienda was considered rough. In fact it seems to have a great reputation.

Wasn't aware that the Hacienda was considered rough. In fact it seems to have a great reputation.

The more I'm looking at it the more I reckon it wasn't the hacienda I was in. The pub I was in was like walking into your Grannys kitchen. Small little place with crackered lino on the floor, pool table on the left, small bar on the right. Absolute hole of a place

• Advertisement

Glynns on Dorset St is another kip. Even the flys don't go in there

Mullets on Amien Street. Another stinker

The more I'm looking at it the more I reckon it wasn't the hacienda I was in. The pub I was in was like walking into your Grannys kitchen. Small little place with crackered lino on the floor, pool table on the left, small bar on the right. Absolute hole of a place

Delaney's so. It is definitely an early house so would have been open at that time.

Delaney's so.

Yep, I reckon so. Hateful spot. Served a purpose that morning though

Another three.

Clarke's City Arms Stoneybatter.

Walsh's Parkgate Street.

Also the nightclub that used to be at the other end of Parkgate Street, next door to the Collins Museum. I forget the name of it I think it was called Judge Darley's or something? The cops closed it down eventually.

You’re right it wouldn’t be considered rough but it does open at mad hours and it’s in the fruit market area with a pool table, it’s a real mixed bag of characters

The auld triangle on Dorset Street can be a mad spot, I clearly remember after the saipan stuff with keane a fella getting a serious box at the bar for defending keane, the guy punched him hard and walked out, your man on the ground after it. They used to have music sessions in it and I’ve never heard a group play so loud, like ridiculously loud, it had a crazy energy about it on friday nights, haven’t been there in a while

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

The auld triangle on Dorset Street can be a mad spot, I clearly remember after the saipan stuff with keane a fella getting a serious box at the bar for defending keane, the guy punched him hard and walked out, your man on the ground after it. They used to have music sessions in it and I’ve never heard a group play so loud, like ridiculously loud, it had a crazy energy about it on friday nights, haven’t been there in a while

I think thats also a Republican pub you get a lot Ra heads there.

I think thats also a Republican pub you get a lot Ra heads there.

Very much so, they have a mural of the hunger strikers on the wall outside, it was a bit wild but I never had any bother in it, real locals spot and could spark up a good conversation without any bother

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another three.

Clarke's City Arms Stoneybatter.

Walsh's Parkgate Street.

Also the nightclub that used to be at the other end of Parkgate Street, next door to the Collins Museum. I forget the name of it I think it was called Judge Darley's or something? The cops closed it down eventually.

Walsh's was closed for years and is open as Dillon's now and seems ok, although it gets probably similar custom to before

Judge Darleys is now homeless/emergency accomodation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Was anyone ever in the Gallops Ballyogan Road Leopardstown? Heard it was dodgy enough due to there being a large settled travellers estate in the vicinity but that said googling it it gets good reviews.

Yep the Gallops is a kip, dodge enough crowd there
    The 3 roughest pubs on the southside of Dublin are The Furry Bog, The Balally Inn and The Gallops in that order
    Can`t believe sone of the posts here about Searsons and The waterloo. rough they are not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

L1011 wrote: »
    Walsh's was closed for years and is open as Dillon's now and seems ok, although it gets probably similar custom to before

Judge Darleys is now homeless/emergency accomodation!

Custom in Dillons is very similar to the crowd Walsh's got. Been in there twice and on both occasions there was a nasty undercurrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Strumms wrote: »
    Never saw anything approaching trouble in O’Neills... the carvery is one of the if not THE best in Dublin city, all staff are sound and it attracts a nice clientele. A mixture of tourists, shoppers and people popping in for pre theater/gig drinks...

I think the problem with O'Neills is that there are so many doors in they have/had a problem with scrotes sneaking in past barman to use the toilets. UV lights were put in to stop some of that. But I agree grand pub in general. Even if it stinks of carvery all day long :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭VW 1

Surprised there's been no mention of Hanlon's, the city arms mention made me think of it. Had a drink in there a few times, and while there wasn't any issues, you get the impression that an issue may not be too far around the corner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

VW 1 wrote: »
    Surprised there's been no mention of Hanlon's, the city arms mention made me think of it. Had a drink in there a few times, and while there wasn't any issues, you get the impression that an issue may not be too far around the corner!

There's a few heads that drink in there alright, wasn't a well known member of the "cartel" shot outside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

There's a few heads that drink in there alright, wasn't a well known member of the "cartel" shot outside it?

at least one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

The tap was dog rough closed a couple of years now

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I was in a bar in the fruit market in Dublin many years ago after doing an almighty Jaysus session all night with a group of friends. Had a full 3 course meal with red wine in Gigs Place at 4am followed by the vat bar and then on down to this pub close to green street. I can't remember the name only that it had a pool table and a load of locals in it at 7am. We had been refused from Bo Derrols, the tap and the cobble stone because we were an absolute shambles at this stage. How we made it out alive of the little local pub I'll never know, dodgiest pub I've ever been in all my days. If anyone has an idea of what the name of it might have been, put a brother out of his misery.

I think you're talking about The Claddagh Ring. It's on Green Street/Little Britain Street. Used to be an early house frequented by the hardest baxtards in Dublin, and on Monday and Saturday mornings was frequented by the same hard men, on top of the rollovers from the Gay scene that couldn't get into the rollover session in Slattery's.

I was in it a few times. Was a tense, uncomfortable kip. In one corner there was an area that looked like a boxing ring, and there was a pool table too. You went downstairs to the toilet and were really taking your life in your hands going down there. It went on to be The Capel Bar and has since had a complete revamp and is now a hipster spot called 1661 - an unbelievable transformation, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Never went into O'Reillys on Ormond Quay Upper, but walked past it often enough. Ropey crowd hanging around outside always. I can only image what it's like inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yep the Gallops is a kip, dodge enough crowd there
    The 3 roughest pubs on the southside of Dublin are The Furry Bog, The Balally Inn and The Gallops in that order
    Can`t believe sone of the posts here about Searsons and The waterloo. rough they are not

The Lough inn is a dive aswell, weird where it is located, only locals would drink in it cause its so deep into the estate, so id say an outsider wouldnt last long if there was any messing, although there is no reason at all for an outsider to go near it

Advertisement