Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

fitzparker wrote: »
    The Lough inn is a dive aswell, weird where it is located, only locals would drink in it cause its so deep into the estate, so id say an outsider wouldnt last long if there was any messing, although there is no reason at all for an outsider to go near it

I forgot about the Ballaly Inn and Lough Inn, drank in both years ago - both were dives. Someone told me that the Ballaly Inn has improved in recent years. Generally a pub in a housing estate is not the type of place you want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Zulu wrote: »
    Never went into O'Reillys on Ormond Quay Upper, but walked past it often enough. Ropey crowd hanging around outside always. I can only image what it's like inside.

O reillys is a great pub man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I forgot about the Ballaly Inn and Lough Inn, drank in both years ago - both were dives. Someone told me that the Ballaly Inn has improved in recent years. Generally a pub in a housing estate is not the type of place you want to go.

Agreed.

Most of these pubs in the housing estates will also have "Monday club" too which probably speaks for the class of clientele also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I think thats also a Republican pub you get a lot Ra heads there.

What do yo define as a "RA head" stupid bully boys in hoodies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

AhhHere wrote: »

I got started on in the Sunset House once. Another time, I asked for 2 Guinness and a Heineken.
    -No Henieken bar mans says.
    -Alright Carlsberg.
    -No Carslberg.
    -Okay, what do you have?
    -Bud.
    -Right, give us a budwieser. He serves it in a heineken glass. :rolleyes:

Clonliffe House is a kip. Only been in on match days though. Lamplighter is another sh1thole

Haha that reminds me of the time we went into McGettigans on Benburb Street. The owner there Marina was a very eccentric character, asked her for two pints of Heineken and she shouted back 'NO HEINEKEN", she clearly didnt want us in there but we ordered two pints of Carlsberg. After a minute or so I realsied every table in the pub had ashtrays on it (this was about a year after the smoking ban) so I asked her was it ok to smoke and she shouts back 'NO SMOKING' :D

On Clonliffe House- thats a really manky pub, your feet stick to the ground in there. Didnt surprise me when the FSAI closed it down for having raw sewarage leaking in the cellar below
    I can’t remember exactly where the pool table is in it, it’s been a while, it’s a strange pub, they actually buzz you in! It’s a popular spot with celebs and then you’ll have your old school local dubs, owner is an eccentric character

Hacienda is a great spot and Shay runs a clean shop. I think the whole idea behind the doorbell and security gate is so he can make sure scumbags dont get past him. Once you're in there its a brillant little boozer, a real gem in Dublin and the pictures on the walls tell a lot of stories, every major band passing through Dublin must have been in for a pint there.

L1011 wrote: »
    Judge Darleys is now homeless/emergency accomodation!

In the dying days of Judge Darleys about 2005 it was only open on Fridays and Saturdays but it had a massive rave on each night. Used to live in that area and would walk home from town and at 3am there would be hundreds outside it off their nut on pills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

hankless wrote: »
    I think you're talking about The Claddagh Ring. It's on Green Street/Little Britain Street. Used to be an early house frequented by the hardest baxtards in Dublin, and on Monday and Saturday mornings was frequented by the same hard men, on top of the rollovers from the Gay scene that couldn't get into the rollover session in Slattery's.

I was in it a few times. Was a tense, uncomfortable kip. In one corner there was an area that looked like a boxing ring, and there was a pool table too. You went downstairs to the toilet and were really taking your life in your hands going down there. It went on to be The Capel Bar and has since had a complete revamp and is now a hipster spot called 1661 - an unbelievable transformation, to be honest.

Is that the spot where there was an underground nightclub for a while. Used to kick off at about 10am and was aimed at all the traders who were working all night and then went dancing and sipping pints in this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

dohboy wrote: »
    Is Chasers in Ballyfermot rough as boots? Never been but it looks like a kip.

What do you think?

Capture.png

The Four Roads in Crumlin was dog rough.

Same for the Black Horse Inchicore.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Gerry G wrote: »
    Is that the spot where there was an underground nightclub for a while. Used to kick off at about 10am and was aimed at all the traders who were working all night and then went dancing and sipping pints in this place?

It was a morning club with a dj. They didn't have a dance licence but that didn't stop them...until the courts put a stop to it. Then they had a jukebox. It started at 7am as far as I can remember. Was only ever there on Saturday/Monday mornings. Not sure about the average weekday starting.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I remember a story from Chasers, a guy went upstairs and up to the bar with a meat cleaver. Said to the barman, empty the till and stuck the cleaver in the bar. Fortunately for the bar man, the cleaver was stuck, he couldn't get it out, so left without it and the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Anyone remember the Deaf Judge on the Quays in Dublin 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

VW 1 wrote: »
    Surprised there's been no mention of Hanlon's, the city arms mention made me think of it. Had a drink in there a few times, and while there wasn't any issues, you get the impression that an issue may not be too far around the corner!

That the old Hanlons Corner? It's open again under another name I think. Used to go there sometimes in the 90s and it was fine. Went in about 2 or 3 years ago one Friday (before it closed down) though and got a pretty strange and unfriendly vibe alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Anyone remember the Deaf Judge on the Quays in Dublin 8?

Yeh I was in it a few times. Not particularly rough at all to be honest. A working class pub.

If you went in for a few pints and weren't looking for trouble you were left alone. A bit like most of the pubs in this thread.

That the old Hanlons Corner? It's open again under another name I think. Used to go there sometimes in the 90s and it was fine. Went in about 2 or 3 years ago one Friday (before it closed down) though and got a pretty strange and unfriendly vibe alright.

I was in Hanlon's on Saturday afternoon. It's a grand spot for an afternoon drink, far from the title of this thread 'roughest in Dublin'.

Not sure what it's like at nigh time but it's not a contender in this thread imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yeh I was in it a few times. Not particularly rough at all to be honest. A working class pub.

If you went in for a few pints and weren't looking for trouble you were left alone. A bit like most of the pubs in this thread.

That's certainly not my recollection of it living down the road from it.

The Village Inn in Inchicore was another pub that could be rough at times although wasn't in it for years. It looks to be ope now as a hipster place under a different name last time I drove past it.

hankless wrote: »
    I was in Hanlon's on Saturday afternoon. It's a grand spot for an afternoon drink, far from the title of this thread 'roughest in Dublin'.

Not sure what it's like at nigh time but it's not a contender in this thread imo.

Fair enough, Take your word for it. I myself am shocked at many of the pubs being mentioned here as rough.

Just meant that particular evening I went in (for the first time since the 90s), I was getting a strange vibe from the admittedly sparse clientèle. Maybe just a once-off. It closed down shortly afterwards if I recall correctly.

Think I remember a doorman from there posting in a thread in here before saying it had attracted a bad crowd in the years preceding its closing.

It reopened a year or two back but haven't been in since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Similar to above was only in Hanlons once and got a bad vibe though nothing untoward happened. I never ventured into the Clarkes City Arms, I just sensed it wasn't the type of place for me. Could be perfectly alright for all I know.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yep the Gallops is a kip, dodge enough crowd there
    The 3 roughest pubs on the southside of Dublin are The Furry Bog, The Balally Inn and The Gallops in that order
    Can`t believe sone of the posts here about Searsons and The waterloo. rough they are not

It was me that posted about the last two, I wasn't suggesting they are rough I just posted some anecdotes in passing.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Similar to above was only in Hanlons once and got a bad vibe though nothing untoward happened. I never ventured into the Clarkes City Arms, I just sensed it was the type of place for me. Could be perfectly alright for all I know.

Quite possible the reopened H is fine. The other poster mentioned drinking there last week. We're obviously talking about the final years of the previous incarnation of the pub.

Yeah, years ago I imagine that Hanlons was a lot worse but the bar was full of aulfellas and grandads on Saturday - all harmless enough. I was on my own and young enough so to the paranoid I imagine I look like an undercover Garda but they didn't bat an eyelid at me.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The hill on Thomas street.

Also, McGruders.

Anyone ever venture into any of those pubs on James Street? Most of them look rough as f*** from the outside. What about Bray, similarly always thought the pubs there look very rough, though must admit was never any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Timothy Croughs on Emmet Road ? Never been, but clientele standing outside always looked rough as fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Anyone been in The Brewery on Newport St behind the Guinness Storehouse? Doesn't look too inviting and there appears to be a patron passed out on a chair outside on streetview:
    https://goo.gl/maps/owQT8CjhuSiouSXw7

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Anyone ever venture into any of those pubs on James Street? Most of them look rough as f*** from the outside. What about Bray, similarly always thought the pubs there look very rough, though must admit was never any of them.

Never judge a book by it's cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

The Swallows. Clondalkin. They frisk you on the way in. If you don’t have a knife, they’ll give you one.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Noctors is still open Nuala does her own hours..The Cardiff Inn in Finglas is great spot you just mind you business 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Village Inn in Inchicore was another pub that could be rough at times although wasn't in it for years. It looks to be ope now as a hipster place under a different name last time I drove past it.

Used to work in Xtravision next door to that when in college... some interesting stuff used to happen outside the pub the most memorable was someone being chased out of the bar and into the XV by a lad with snooker/pool balls in a sock! That was one Saturday afternoon iirc.

Reopened as "The Richmond" now.
    danmci wrote: »
    Anyone been in The Brewery on Newport St behind the Guinness Storehouse? Doesn't look too inviting and there appears to be a patron passed out on a chair outside on streetview:
    https://goo.gl/maps/owQT8CjhuSiouSXw7

Closed down in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not sure if it was a pub during the day but McGraths nightclub on O'Connell St was properly dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

Two of my old locals when I lived in beside Francis street and the coombe. When I say locals, I mean they were in the locality, I never frequented them!! The Green Lizard is long gone, think Grumpy jacks might be still open? Two absolute kips anyway

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/grumpy-jacks-assassin-smirks-as-hes-convicted-27985105.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-convicted-of-dublin-pub-murder-in-2005-1.787801

Advertisement