Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    The Swallows. Clondalkin. They frisk you on the way in. If you don’t have a knife, they’ll give you one.

absolute nonsense. the swallows is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dk1982 wrote: »
    Two of my old locals when I lived in beside Francis street and the coombe. When I say locals, I mean they were in the locality, I never frequented them!! The Green Lizard is long gone, think Grumpy jacks might be still open? Two absolute kips anyway

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/grumpy-jacks-assassin-smirks-as-hes-convicted-27985105.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-convicted-of-dublin-pub-murder-in-2005-1.787801

Green Lizard is now the inaptly named Drop Dead Twice cocktail bar. Grumpy Jacks has renamed and is still open as far as I know but I can't remember what it became / can't easily check right now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

tdf7187 wrote: »
    What about Bray, similarly always thought the pubs there look very rough, though must admit was never any of them.

Back in the 80’s a client in The Boomerang on Quinsborough road in Bray emerged and immediately roared abuse at me - a random punter just walking up the street. They then produced a car jack handle and chased me down the street, pegging the handle at me. I hadn’t said a word! This may not be typical of the place though. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A lot like Dún Laoghaire, Bray has always had its fair share of junkies so you do get the odd header in pubs there.

Bray is completely different than the 80s though when it was quite literally a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Brayruit as Rosser calls it :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 scsei

Croughs Pub in Tallaght. Another Croughs, this time the one on Emmet Rd, Inchicore. Also Coffeys on Emmet Rd, not great.

McDowells on the other hand, fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks for all the posts.

I plan to visit several of these in November.

Based in D8, near SCR, so there should be enough nearby to keep me going.

I may return with more queries as I assemble a list

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Geuze wrote: »
    Thanks for all the posts.
    I plan to visit several of these in November.
    Based in D8, near SCR, so there should be enough nearby to keep me going.
    I may return with more queries as I assemble a list

You should probably post before and after every visit.
    In case you don't come back... we'll know your last whereabouts.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I've been tempted to do this pub crawl but after hearing from a few people who have done similar over the years its just a boring succession of pints in quiet local pubs in less affluent areas.

I mean, you may get lucky and get stabbed or shot, or at least see someone else get killed but the chances are slim unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

kavanaghs pub on clanbrassil street/new street opposite Peadar browns looks fairly rough from the outside.

does anyone know what its like these days?

• Advertisement

kavanaghs pub on clanbrassil street/new street opposite Peadar browns looks fairly rough from the outside.

Closed I believe. Wasn't obviously rough the time I dropped in a few months back, no more than Peadar Browns anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

L1011 wrote: »
    Closed I believe. Wasn't obviously rough the time I dropped in a few months back, no more than Peadar Browns anyway!
    Still open as I walk past it often every week.

Peadar browns is grand so I may pop in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Haha that reminds me of the time we went into McGettigans on Benburb Street. The owner there Marina was a very eccentric character

OMG - Marina, she was a lunatic! Saw her one morning about 6:00am having a cigarette in her nighty chatting to the lads doing the Luas works- never be able to extinguish that though from my head - Luas lads equally traumatised!

There were a few choice ones in that parish. There was a bar called the Cat Dragged Inn at one point - serious heads in there, I'm told the the revenue made its way up the M1. The Glimmerman, great for the traveler christening. The Croppy bag of 'all sorts'.

But, Marina- I cant beat the smile off my face remembering her and her antics (same people owned The Regency :eek:)

It was Peadar Browns social media claiming it was closed - could be some inter pub rivalry stuff!

kavanaghs was closed for a few years - was Farrells, name change after a shooting inside all linked to Kinehan and FF.

There are/were a right few kips from Harolds X Bridge all the way down Clanbrassil St to Patricks Catherdral.

Harold House, Man of Achill, Francis McKennas, Scholars on Donovan Lane, Kavanaghs, Peader Browns.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Carpentry wrote: »
    Timothy Croughs on Emmet Road ? Never been, but clientele standing outside always looked rough as fcuk.

Wasn't rough when I was there. Mostly middle aged locals watching racing, sport, drinking cheap pints, doing 'spot the ball' comps etc. During the week it's mostly old boys going from there to the Working Man's Club across the road, nursing more cheap gargle, I'd imagine. The club has got a bit of an exterior revamp in recent weeks.

Someone mentioned Coffeys up the road. That's closed now. McDowell's in Inchicore village reopened in recent years. Stank the last time I was in but was generally a nice shop, if a bit disheveled.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

The Nal wrote: »
    There are/were a right few kips from Harolds X Bridge all the way down Clanbrassil St to Patricks Catherdral.

Harold House, Man of Achill, Francis McKennas, Scholars on Donovan Lane, Kavanaghs, Peader Browns.

Harold House is a fine boozer. Its technicolor paint job in recent years has only added to its charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

dohboy wrote: »
    Harold House is a fine boozer. Its technicolor paint job in recent years has only added to its charm.

It definitely has a 'RA feel to it but its a lovely spot, great Guinness

Admittedly I've yet to witness the technicolor upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I seem to recall a pub called Nash's around there too. It was across from Fallons. I was in it a few times back in the late 90's. I wouldn't have called it rough. But the custom was a little on the weird side

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

IRE60 wrote: »
    OMG - Marina, she was a lunatic! Saw here one morning about 6:00am having a cigarette in her nighty chatting to the lads doing the Luas works- never be able to extinguish that though from my head - Luas lads equally traumatised!

There were a few choice ones in that parish. There was a bar called the Cat Dragged Inn at one point - serious heads in there, I'm told the the revenue made its way up the M1. The Glimmerman, great for the traveler christening. The Croppy bag of 'all sorts'.

But, Marina- I cant beat the smile off my face remembering her and her antics (same people owned The Regency :eek:)

The pubs in Stoneybatter have changed with the times. Back when the horse fair in Smithfield was on the first Sunday of every month, Mulligans (or L. Mulligan, Grocer as the hipsters call it) was the only pub for years that served the travelers, every other pub in the area used to lock its doors. The Glimmerman wasn't that much of a rough spot back in the day, it had its moments alright. Last time I was in it, it now has an independently ran Vietnamese Food Truck out the back in the beer garden. I still don't believe that is an actual sentence!!!

The Traders that used be in Walkinstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Harold House is a nice pub. Few characters but a nice atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    The pubs in Stoneybatter have changed with the times. Back when the horse fair in Smithfield was on the first Sunday of every month, Mulligans (or L. Mulligan, Grocer as the hipsters call it) was the only pub for years that served the travelers, every other pub in the area used to lock its doors. The Glimmerman wasn't that much of a rough spot back in the day, it had its moments alright. Last time I was in it, it now has an independently ran Vietnamese Food Truck out the back in the beer garden. I still don't believe that is an actual sentence!!!

I can't stand stoneybatter now full of poncey holes selling beer that tastes like soap for 6 quid a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yeah, still open. I walk past every evening.

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Yes - aplos, it was Mulligans. Yea, threw my head in a good while back, could not believe it! Some transformation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Traders that used be in Walkinstown.

Greenhills. But yeah, I used to drink with the younger brothers of some headers that drank there. There was a gang that went by the name The Trads. And Sloppy Joes upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Scoundrel wrote: »
    I can't stand stoneybatter now full of poncey holes selling beer that tastes like soap for 6 quid a pint.

Wash your mouth out with soap(y-tasting beer)! Stoneybatter is deadly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Wash your mouth out with soap(y-tasting beer)! Stoneybatter is deadly!

Nope a once great area with proper boozers gentrified into a kip full of people smelling their own farts and having little tasters of beer shameful stuff and I know it's not Stoneybatter but they've turned the Richmond into one of these craft beer dumps as well.

Advertisement