Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Nope a once great area with proper boozers gentrified into a kip full of people smelling their own farts and having little tasters of beer shameful stuff and I know it's not Stoneybatter but they've turned the Richmond into one of these craft beer dumps as well.

You'd swear craft beer was some kind of bad thing. It's the best thing that's happened to the Irish pub scene in a long time - we now have options to drink something with a bit of flavour, and aren't forced to consume Diageo's industrial horse piss by the pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

You'd swear craft beer was some kind of bad thing. It's the best thing that's happened to the Irish pub scene in a long time - we now have options to drink something with a bit of flavour, and aren't forced to consume Diageo's industrial horse piss by the pint!

I respectfully disagree mostly awful stuff and ridiculously expensive despite these micro breweries getting nearly every tax break under the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Have to agree with AVS here. Some great pubs in the area and some great good and beer selections available. The change in the area from when I moved overseas in 2008 to now is significant, and a very welcome one imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The Traders quietened down into the 90s. Wasnt as bad as the reputation it was supposed to have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Geuze wrote: »
    Thanks for all the posts.

I plan to visit several of these in November.

Based in D8, near SCR, so there should be enough nearby to keep me going.

I may return with more queries as I assemble a list

Can I come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

So apparently fado fado there were two pubs called The Man of Aran in Dublin, one in Harold's Cross and one on the quays which has gone through numerous refreshes and name changes over the years, recently re-opened by the owners of Dice bar. I was in the latter when it was The Croppy's Acre, was fine.

https://www.dailyedge.ie/new-bar-opening-in-ellis-quay-2777959-May2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I can't stand stoneybatter now full of poncey holes selling beer that tastes like soap for 6 quid a pint.

Within the last year or two I paid 4.10 I think, maybe 4.30 in Kavanagh's of Aughrim/Manor street.

Good pub.

Also the Glimmerman, good pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Geuze wrote: »
    Within the last year or two I paid 4.10 I think, maybe 4.30 in Kavanagh's of Aughrim/Manor street.

Good pub.

Also the Glimmerman, good pub.

both are great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

The Harp Bar in the 90s was a serious no go
    Rumours on O'Connell was another dangerous kip

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

God I used to go to both as well as McGraths on O'Connell Street and one not yet mentioned, The Back Gate on Cathal Brugha Street. I was only in Rumours once or twice to be fair, it was fairly rough. The Back Gate was more late bar/club than pub. It was just a bit rough around the edges but not that bad as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

great thread by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

miamee wrote: »
    God I used to go to both as well as McGraths on O'Connell Street and one not yet mentioned, The Back Gate on Cathal Brugha Street. I was only in Rumours once or twice to be fair, it was fairly rough. The Back Gate was more late bar/club than pub. It was just a bit rough around the edges but not that bad as far as I remember.

Mentioned McGraths a few pages ago. The bouncers were the most dangerous people in the place.

Well and the people who mugged at knife point after obviously.

I can't stand stoneybatter now full of poncey holes selling beer that tastes like soap for 6 quid a pint.

Try Ryans on Parkgate Street. A proper pub that serves proper Guinness. Only a short walk from Stoneybatter. Only downside is it does tend to be busy. Victim of its own success.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Someone mentioned Lloyds on Amiens street a few pages back, Mulletts next door is far worse imo. The Clonliffe House too.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

... but they've turned the Richmond into one of these craft beer dumps as well.

Have you been? They sell old-fashioned beers too. The Richmond was neither a quintessential good boozer nor a rough pub with character. It was awful. So awful they couldn't even keep the doors open. It's a vast, vast improvement now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

The Nal wrote: »
    There are/were a right few kips from Harolds X Bridge all the way down Clanbrassil St to Patricks Catherdral.

Harold House, Man of Achill, Francis McKennas, Scholars on Donovan Lane, Kavanaghs, Peader Browns.

3 of those are closed a long time - McK is MVP for a good 8 years

Someone mentioned Lloyds on Amiens street a few pages back, Mulletts next door is far worse imo. The Clonliffe House too.

I did mention Mullets too, been there to play darts once or twice, really intimidating.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Try Ryans on Parkgate Street. A proper pub that serves proper Guinness. Only a short walk from Stoneybatter. Only downside is it does tend to be busy. Victim of its own success.

Nancy Hands next door is great for guinness too, Eamonn Rea's now named P. Duggan's is nice as well.

hankless wrote: »
    Have you been? They sell old-fashioned beers too. The Richmond was neither a quintessential good boozer nor a rough pub with character. It was awful. So awful they couldn't even keep the doors open. It's a vast, vast improvement now.

Bull****, Richmond was great of a pub. They closed it, cause they got like 5 mln for it.
    Bonobo that opened there now its a hipster pizza joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

:D ok, I'm sure people would rather get back to the topic at hand than opinions on new pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

The way these places, and areas, get lionised as 'rough' makes me laugh, isn't 's**t pub frequented by idiots' a better way of putting it?

Carpentry wrote: »
    Nancy Hands next door is great for guinness too, Eamonn Rea's now named P. Duggan's is nice as well.

Yeah both of the above are grand pubs too. When I lived in that neck of the woods, If Ryans was too busy, we used to head to either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's not rough like the other pubs listed here, it's definitely an after-work, charlie-in-the-jacks type place, but since Noctors closed there's definitely been some of that crowd drifting in as well. Surprised they don't try and put a stop to it with bouncers on the door. It's a crap soulless pub anyway but I'd be even less inclined to go now than I used to be.

Noctors isn't closed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

L1011 wrote: »
    It was Peadar Browns social media claiming it was closed - could be some inter pub rivalry stuff!

Kavanagh's was closed for a couple of weeks recently, the lease changed hands. It's now run by the same lad who runs The Malt House on James St I believe.
    dohboy wrote: »
    Harold House is a fine boozer. Its technicolor paint job in recent years has only added to its charm.

Nothing wrong with the Harold at all... would be my local and my parents (if you're ever in there on a Sunday night and some header is roaring out the weekly raffle ticket numbers that's the aul lad)!
    ShyMets wrote: »
    I seem to recall a pub called Nash's around there too. It was across from Fallons. I was in it a few times back in the late 90's. I wouldn't have called it rough. But the custom was a little on the weird side

Nash's was were the Fourth Corner pub is now on the junction (Four Corners of Hell it was called when there was a pub on each corner). Nash's was leveled and the new offices/pub was built, Nashs reopened in the new building for a while but there was plumbing problems or something similar so shut - Fourth Corner only opened up within the past 2 years. Nash's was at the top of Meath St for a time but renamed to Bakers and is still that now - not sure if it was the same Nash who ran it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I used to live beside the Harolder. Rock n Roll Bingo every Thursday was the pinnacle of my social calendar. Although as a “blow in” my friend’s and I would get grumbles and dirty looks off the locals any time we dared win anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

dk1982 wrote: »
    Two of my old locals when I lived in beside Francis street and the coombe. When I say locals, I mean they were in the locality, I never frequented them!! The Green Lizard is long gone, think Grumpy jacks might be still open? Two absolute kips anyway

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/grumpy-jacks-assassin-smirks-as-hes-convicted-27985105.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-convicted-of-dublin-pub-murder-in-2005-1.787801

Grumpy Jacks has recently reopened, it's called Spitalfields now. I haven't been in it, but it has a rather swanky food menu displayed in the window. That would have been madness a few years ago, but there's a pile of hotels built or being built in the area. That and the sheer (ridiculous) amount of student accommodation going up boils my blood, but that's a rant for another thread.
    I was in Grumpy's a few times. It was always eerily quiet. There was a fella shot dead in it a few years ago, that may have had something to do with it. They started opening at 4 or 5 in the evening, apparently that killed the local trade.
    I was in it a couple of years ago. Ireland were playing Poland in a crucial qualifier. Every bar around was rammed. I popped my head in there and there was literally 4 people there. I sat down in front a big screen tv I had all to myself and had a few pints watching us lose the game.
    I've lived in the north and south inner city for nearly 30 years, I know an awful lot of the pubs mentioned in this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kavanagh's was closed for a couple of weeks recently, the lease changed hands. It's now run by the same lad who runs The Malt House on James St I believe.

The Malthouse is pretty awful so that doesn't bode well

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

True story about the Sunset House in Summerhill. I shared a house with a guy. This was about 2002. He was a chef, and would have a pint anywhere. He might be in the Four Seasons one night and in some dodgy kip the next.
    He was in the Sunset House one evening. Having a pint and reading the paper at the bar. A fella comes in the door, goes up to the bar and points a gun at the barman, demanding the cash from the till. The barman stands there looking at him and says, "that's not a real gun". In the meantime a couple of the locals have bolted the front door shut. Them and the barman then proceed to give the would be robber a proper hiding, then threw him out on the street. My housemate is sitting at the bar watching this unfold, thinking, what the fuk is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Ha, the memories of those 2 places, never had an issue there so long as you kept stum. Lots of women in each back in the day.............

Craft pubs are slowly eating away at the traditional Dublin pub. Can`t be having that, listening to D4 and Dort accents

Smiths in Thorncastle Street Ringsend was an interesting place, very dodge crowd. Not sure if its still there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Wasnt rumours the trendy nightclub of its day. Venue of choice for the Irish team under Jack Charlton by sll accounts.

Advertisement