Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

True story about the Sunset House in Summerhill. I shared a house with a guy. This was about 2002. He was a chef, and would have a pint anywhere. He might be in the Four Seasons one night and in some dodgy kip the next.
    He was in the Sunset House one evening. Having a pint and reading the paper at the bar. A fella comes in the door, goes up to the bar and points a gun at the barman, demanding the cash from the till. The barman stands there looking at him and says, "that's not a real gun". In the meantime a couple of the locals have bolted the front door shut. Them and the barman then proceed to give the would be robber a proper hiding, then threw him out on the street. My housemate is sitting at the bar watching this unfold, thinking, what the fuk is happening?

this is one of the greatest story ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

hankless wrote: »
    Have you been? They sell old-fashioned beers too. The Richmond was neither a quintessential good boozer nor a rough pub with character. It was awful. So awful they couldn't even keep the doors open. It's a vast, vast improvement now.

Yes I have its awful the Richmond was a great pub proper locals boozer always good crowd in it nice pints racing on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

True story about the Sunset House in Summerhill. I shared a house with a guy. This was about 2002. He was a chef, and would have a pint anywhere. He might be in the Four Seasons one night and in some dodgy kip the next.
    He was in the Sunset House one evening. Having a pint and reading the paper at the bar. A fella comes in the door, goes up to the bar and points a gun at the barman, demanding the cash from the till. The barman stands there looking at him and says, "that's not a real gun". In the meantime a couple of the locals have bolted the front door shut. Them and the barman then proceed to give the would be robber a proper hiding, then threw him out on the street. My housemate is sitting at the bar watching this unfold, thinking, what the fuk is happening?

There was a pub in Tallaght where something similar happened not too long ago it was in the papers you know its a rough shop when an armed robber gets battered by the regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Scoundrel wrote: »
    There was a pub in Tallaght where something similar happened not too long ago it was in the papers you know its a rough shop when an armed robber gets battered by the regulars.

Think that was the Speaker Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The new Richmond is strange. The signage on the outside makes it look like some "hip" bar, but inside it has a much more old-fashioned vibe, albeit very nicely decorated. Unfortunately it's soulless and uninspired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The new Richmond is strange. The signage on the outside makes it look like some "hip" bar, but inside it has a much more old-fashioned vibe, albeit very nicely decorated. Unfortunately it's soulless and uninspired.

This Bonobo? I liked it. Nice beer garden and good selection of booze. The old Richmond was a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The Nal wrote: »
    This Bonobo? I liked it. Nice beer garden and good selection of booze. The old Richmond was a kip.

No, the Richmond in Inchicore. I got my wires crossed over which Richmond was being discussed!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I pass Richmond on the bus everyday. Looks like they did a half arsed refurb on it and squeezed apartments in on top. The former pub looked horrible too, with the pints of Bavaria specials board and all the heads from the flats outside smoking at 2pm on a weekday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I think there has been enough discussions, time for a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭VW 1

Discussions on a message forum. Well I never.. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Seems Finches might be the "winner"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

ShyMets wrote: »
    It gone a few years but the Museum Rest just of Queen St was pretty nasty

I got my first bar tab in the museum rest, drank there for years and never seen an ounce of trouble. The owner Bill and his son David didn't tolerate any fukkery whatsoever. Particularly Dave, sound cnut, but he'd break your jaw with a dirty look. I think you may be thinking of another establishment a bit further down benburb st near the croppy acre. Never any messing in the museum rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I think there has been enough discussions, time for a poll.

The OP can then deliver a trophy to the winning boozer, with balloons and ribbons hanging off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The Nal wrote: »
    Seems Finches might be the "winner"?

If it is then I doubt those nominating it have even been in it. It's a kip but it's not really that rough at all. You'd have to be very sheltered to consider it the roughest pub in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The OP can then deliver a trophy to the winning boozer, with balloons and ribbons hanging off it.

I'm imagining something more like this...
    latest?cb=20140701051139

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭VW 1

Bottom of the hill in finglas village is back open, at least partially. Was two bouncers on the door and a few not so reputable young fellas at the door as I came by around 6 this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Bouncers at the door as early as 6pm is usually the sign of an 'interesting' pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Bouncers at the door as early as 6pm is usually the sign of an 'interesting' pub.

Or a problematic area - 1661 has them that early but they need to stop the old regulars getting in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

L1011 wrote: »
    Or a problematic area - 1661 has them that early but they need to stop the old regulars getting in!

Not familiar with it, is this the place?

https://bar1661.ie/

Looks like a fancy cocktail bar, I assume it used to be rougher.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Not familiar with it, is this the place?

https://bar1661.ie/

Looks like a fancy cocktail bar, I assume it used to be rougher.

Yes. Its former incarnations have been mentioned multiple times on this thread. *was* a rough as hell early house with a 'wet hostel' across the road that kicks out early. Now its a very fancy poitin bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Does anyone know what is to become of the former Sunset House in ballybough?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Does anyone know what is to become of the former Sunset House in ballybough?

It's become The Little Tree. Opened on/off over the last couple of weeks and had it's official opening party last night.

It's totally redone, looks smart with nice open windows. Can't recall the new owners but they have a friend of mine managing it who has years in the game and is a gent.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Little-Tree-Bar-105651784180804/

Ah, nice one. Must go for a look-see soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Still open as I walk past it often every week.

Peadar browns is grand so I may pop in there too.

:eek:

s9wtTu7.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

:eek:

s9wtTu7.png

Wasn't there someone shot dead in that pub about 15 years ago ?

Maybe we should list all the pubs were people have been shot.

Pubs were people get shot are proper hard man pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Honourary mention for the Players Lounge in Fairview.
    First there was a shooting.
    Then burned out following an armed robbery.
    Still boarded up as insurance hasnt paid out...

On the former spot of the Fairview Inn which saw some hotly contested table quizes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

odyssey06 wrote: »

On the former spot of the Fairview Inn which saw some hotly contested table quizes.

Currently for sale as a development site...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Peadar's is a grand spot. Yer man who has the lease of it is as mad as a bag of cats.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Not really in the spirit of the thread but remember the Barcode up the road?? Some spot that was :P

• Advertisement

Wasn't there someone shot dead in that pub about 15 years ago ?

Maybe we should list all the pubs were people have been shot.

Pubs were people get shot are proper hard man pubs.

Someone already has:

https://dyingforapint.blogspot.com/

Someone getting murdered in a pub generally means a name change or it closes entirely within about 12 months.

Advertisement