Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Browsing this thread - and especially some of the pubs farcically labelled as rough - made me think that the potentially roughest places to be in these days are actually most normal meat market late bars or nightclubs anywhere in the country where lads in the teens to thirties bracket are lashing into the sniff and shots rather than your average working class pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Honourary mention for the Players Lounge in Fairview.
    First there was a shooting.
    Then burned out following an armed robbery.
    Still boarded up as insurance hasnt paid out...

On the former spot of the Fairview Inn which saw some hotly contested table quizes.

I won the table quiz in there one night. First prize was two weeks alibi.
    First question in round one was "what the fcuk are you looking at? "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Kavanagh's was closed for a couple of weeks recently, the lease changed hands. It's now run by the same lad who runs The Malt House on James St I believe.

Nothing wrong with the Harold at all... would be my local and my parents (if you're ever in there on a Sunday night and some header is roaring out the weekly raffle ticket numbers that's the aul lad)!

Nash's was were the Fourth Corner pub is now on the junction (Four Corners of Hell it was called when there was a pub on each corner). Nash's was leveled and the new offices/pub was built, Nashs reopened in the new building for a while but there was plumbing problems or something similar so shut - Fourth Corner only opened up within the past 2 years. Nash's was at the top of Meath St for a time but renamed to Bakers and is still that now - not sure if it was the same Nash who ran it.

Ahem , my mother was born above one of the original pubs in the Four Corners of Hell junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not really in the spirit of the thread but remember the Barcode up the road?? Some spot that was :P

Worked with a group of lads whose aim was to get in there every weekend. Every weekend they’d be refused and end up back in De Blacker, and talk about the fight they’d had at the end of the night. But of course it wasn’t their fault they never got in. Clowns.

On topic I’d agree with The Oasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Passing Noctors today, it looked like it was open again. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

machaseh wrote: »
    - Swiss Cottage has sadly closed but it was quite a rough pub.

- Berkeley Inn on Berkeley Street (I even suffered discrimination there)

Granted its probably well over 20 years since I was in the Berkeley but it was grand back then and did a cracking pint of Guinness

Swiss was never really rough as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That place was rough as fcuk and wins this thread. In 1994 the UVF came through the doors with a bomb in a holdall. A doorman challenged him and they shot him dead point blank and ran. Had the bomb gone off they would have killed dozens of IRA members who were in the pub holding a fundrairser for IRA prisoners families.

Then in 2002 the the Holiday Inn hotel had just opened up opposite the Widow Scallons and Pearse Street started getting tourists for the first time ever. A family of English tourists walked in for a pint not knowing it was a IRA pub, locals heard the accents and one of them got stabbed several times outside the pub soon after with the others getting badly beaten.

That garda station next to the Towers was rigged out like an army fortress complete with 20ft high barbed wire fencing all around the perimeter. It said a lot about Ballymun that the Gardai had to fortify their station.

I'm pretty sure the Patrick Pearse took up where the Widow Scallons left off, might even be the same owner

The security fence was around the garda station parking area presumably in case anyone tried liberate a veeheekill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

beertons wrote: »
    Peadar's is a grand spot. Yer man who has the lease of it is as mad as a bag of cats.

Aido? Sound chap, Peadar was his da who was a well known barman in Ahernes in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Just reading about Chris Hughton's playing career. His first game for Ireland was a friendly against the US in 1979 and in the official match programme fans were encouraged to go to Hanlons after attending the match at Dalymount Park. Different era!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Away from town, that's some walk up to Hanlon's for after match pints. Especially with an abundance of bars near the stadium and on the way into town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

hankless wrote: »
    Away from town, that's some walk up to Hanlon's for after match pints. Especially with an abundance of bars near the stadium and on the way into town!

You didn't read my post properly. Apparently back in those days the matches were in Dalymount Park, or at least the friendlies were, possibly all the games ? (a poster of an older vintage than ourselves could advise!). Dalymount Park is not far from Hanlons' Corner. Here is the article in any case:

https://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/hughton-proud-to-be-first-black-player-for-ireland-38640133.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bambi wrote: »

Swiss was never really rough as such.

Swiss was a sh!thole, at least in recent years when I lived up the road. Couldn't pass it on Friday/Saturday night without seeing some amount of trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

tdf7187 wrote: »
    You didn't read my post properly. Apparently back in those days the matches were in Dalymount Park, or at least the friendlies were, possibly all the games ? (a poster of an older vintage than ourselves could advise!). Dalymount Park is not far from Hanlons' Corner. Here is the article in any case:

https://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/hughton-proud-to-be-first-black-player-for-ireland-38640133.html

I believe that up until Landsowne became The Aviva, Dallymount was officially our home ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

tdf7187 wrote: »

Ireland played matches in Dalymount Park till at least 1988. Don't think there was any there after we qualified for Euro 88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I went into the pub directly across from the end of Clonliffe Road on the Ballybough side one evening in late 2011. My then-boyfriend-now-husband wanted to buy cigarettes before we went to a house party on Clonliffe Road. It must have been past 10pm if all the nearby shops were closed. Easily the most uncomfortable I’ve felt in a pub. It was one of those situations where we stepped inside and every single person in the place turned around and stared. And stared. And stared.

My husband headed down the bar to the smokes machine and honestly, I was a bit mad at him for going off on me or even persisting in his quest. I really felt in danger and he just wanted stupid cigarettes. I was getting looked up and down from all directions. Many punters never averted their gaze from one or the other of us the whole time we were there. I just don’t get that level of hostility. But, well, fuck ‘em. What a pack of losers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you are a black swan and you show up in a pub filled with white ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Dominic Inn is the roughest pub on its street, but not even close on a citywide basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I work very close to Dominic Street and walk up it regularly enough and never even knew there was a pub there. Unless Dominic extends beyond Dorset Street when heading away from Parnell Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Collie D wrote: »
    I work very close to Dominic Street and walk up it regularly enough and never even knew there was a pub there. Unless Dominic extends beyond Dorset Street when heading away from Parnell Street?

It does, and there are three pubs on that section. Cumiskeys which is grand, T O'Brennans which is very nice and the Dominic Inn which is a fairly normal north city centre pub; maybe a tad rough around the edges but not unsafe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭gmufc19

Haven't read the whole thread yet, only one third of the way through it.

Has anyone mentioned The George yet?

Never in it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

gmufc19 wrote: »

Never in it myself!
    So, you like a bit of rough? ;)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭gmufc19

I thought we were looking for the roughest??

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭toffeeshel

I used to occasionally drink in a pub on Aston Quay called O’Maras in the early 80s. It would serve anyone. I’d say that you would probably have to murder someone in there to get barred. Pool table at the back was a regular source of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The Shanty.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

gmufc19 wrote: »

Never in it myself!

The george is not a kip, it's a night club so yes you're gonna have people dealing drugs in there and your occasional creepy guy following you around (had that once) but otherwise it's a lot of craic and it's grand. It is one of a kind in Dublin for us LGBT folks.

Just don't leave your drink alone. Ask your mates to hold your drink for you or if need be take it to the jax or down it before you go take a piss. Do. Not. Leave. Your. Drink. Alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

The George: mate of mine (regular attendee) refers to the front bar as jurassic park! (Actually when Sacks was open in Donnybrook it was referred to likewise)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The george is not a kip, it's a night club so yes you're gonna have people dealing drugs in there and your occasional creepy guy following you around (had that once) but otherwise it's a lot of craic and it's grand. It is one of a kind in Dublin for us LGBT folks.

Just don't leave your drink alone. Ask your mates to hold your drink for you or if need be take it to the jax or down it before you go take a piss. Do. Not. Leave. Your. Drink. Alone.

That bad in there is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Full of pint robbers is it? Haven't came across that in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I didn’t think there would be many straight men in there spiking drinks. Nowhere is safe from them.

Advertisement