Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

BDI wrote: »
    I didn’t think there would be many straight men in there spiking drinks. Nowhere is safe from them.

Who said it was straight men?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Anyone up for visiting a few of these and reporting back? Having read the thread the majority are just bog standard pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

tjc28 wrote: »
    Ireland played matches in Dalymount Park till at least 1988. Don't think there was any there after we qualified for Euro 88

The first game in Lansdowne was 1971 and Ireland shared games between Lansdowne and Dalymount for the rest of the 1970s. By 79/80 Lansdowne was number one and Dalymount only hosted 6 games in the 80s. 2 qualifiers in 1983, 2 friendlies in 1984, 1 friendly in 1985 and the last game was a friendly in February 1989

Anyway, most of the pubs mentioned here are grand. Not palaces but you certainly wouldn’t get trouble in 90% of the pubs mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Dodge wrote: »
    The first game in Lansdowne was 1971 and Ireland shared games between Lansdowne and Dalymount for the rest of the 1970s. By 79/80 Lansdowne was number one and Dalymount only hosted 6 games in the 80s. 2 qualifiers in 1983, 2 friendlies in 1984, 1 friendly in 1985 and the last game was a friendly in February 1989

Anyway, most of the pubs mentioned here are grand. Not palaces but you certainly wouldn’t get trouble in 90% of the pubs mentioned

I think you've misinterpreted my OP. I've got a death wish

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Dodge wrote: »

We played Morocco in Dalyer in September of 1990. I don't remember much of the game apart from not seeing the goal despite being just five yards behind the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yeah spot on. I was just talking about the 80s and the ‘up to euro 88’ post

We beat Morocco 1-0 in September 1990 FWIW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

IRE60 wrote: »
    The George: mate of mine (regular attendee) refers to the front bar as jurassic park! (Actually when Sacks was open in Donnybrook it was referred to likewise)

I remember Sachs had that reputation alright (for heterosexuals).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Similar to above was only in Hanlons once and got a bad vibe though nothing untoward happened. I never ventured into the Clarkes City Arms, I just sensed it wasn't the type of place for me. Could be perfectly alright for all I know.

City arms is grand, has a pool table and dart board(with team). Obviously a local but they are grand, the outside is quite misleading. Haven't been in there for about 5 years though

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rhillgib

What's the consensus on the Padraig Pearse on Pearse St?

I'm English (not much of a flag waving one though to be fair) and I was working in the library opposite it in the summer and my mate said I should pop in, said I'd be fine. I wasn't convinced.

I'm sure it's probably fine, but after hearing those stories on here about Widow Scallans, I'm kinda glad I didn't take the chance, especially not just as a walk-in by myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

rhillgib wrote: »
    What's the consensus on the Padraig Pearse on Pearse St?

I'm English (not much of a flag waving one though to be fair) and I was working in the library opposite it in the summer and my mate said I should pop in, said I'd be fine. I wasn't convinced.

I'm sure it's probably fine, but after hearing those stories on here about Widow Scallans, I'm kinda glad I didn't take the chance, especially not just as a walk-in by myself.

Its a bit rough around the edges. But I've been in a few times and never had any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

miamee wrote: »
    Is it called The Cabra House now? I haven't been in there in over 20 years but it was rough then and from what I can tell hasn't changed much over time.

Ye rough as ****.Its my local and i wouldnt drink there if you paid me.Used to work there though back in the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

dubstarr wrote: »
    Ye rough as ****.Its my local and i wouldnt drink there if you paid me.Used to work there though back in the dark ages.

Google it and click on "see photos" on the right.

The Nal wrote: »
    Google it and click on "see photos" on the right.

I dont need to google it.I know the pub well.

Also what about Matts in Cabra that was an awful pub as well.Closed now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

dubstarr wrote: »
    I dont need to google it.I know the pub well.

I'm referring to the 5 Google photos on there

The Nal wrote: »
    I'm referring to the 5 Google photos on there

Haha very good

• Registered Users Posts: 68,793 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its up for sale for redevelopment so those that do want to experience it may need to go soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I heard this one a few years back. It supposedly happened in The Blacker in Coolock way back. One night well after closing, the manager and head barman were cashing out and cleaning up. Most of the lights were turned off in the pub. The door was all locked up but had glass panels and they could see from the lights outside in the car park there was a shadow of some chap hanging around.

The guy outside started smashing one of the glass panels on the door to break in, so they just finished cashing out the tills, hid the cash, hid themselves and let the guy break in. Apparently they kept a couple of cricket bats behind the bar. Once the guy broke in they gave him an awful hiding, then called the gards. When the gards showed up they just said he broke in and fell over. Gards were just like "ah grand yeah", hauled the guy into a squad car and drove off.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i'd say a lot of these pubs won't make it past this pandemic.

even before this it seemed like everytime I was in town passing an off the grid pub I had a few pints in it seemed to be closed or for sale or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

i'd say a lot of these pubs won't make it past this pandemic.

even before this it seemed like everytime I was in town passing an off the grid pub I had a few pints in it seemed to be closed or for sale or whatever.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Sorry that people loose their livelihoods however.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A favourite pastime of mine is a game called Danger Pints. A drink in some of the roughest pubs in Dublin. Generally you go in on a weeknight/weekend afternoon. Have one, max two drinks. Preferably sit at the bar for maximum enjoyment. Bonus points if there's been a murder or murder attempt. Ones I've frequented to date:

Barn House, Dolphins Barn
    Finches, Neilstown
    Jobstown House
    Killinarden House, Tallaght
    The Marble Arch, Drimnagh (my local)
    The Black Forge, Crumlin

Cleary's, Kilmainham (surprisingly, this is the one I felt most uneasy in)
    Geuze wrote: »
    Is this on Sarsfield road?

She's still open and causing hassle locally by not adhering to the pandemic rules. Lots of former locals are drinking down in the Black Lion now as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Chinasea wrote: »
    Every cloud has a silver lining. Sorry that people loose their livelihoods however.

As long as they're not replaced with soulless craft beer ****holes where it's 8 quid for a pint of watery crap that tastes like a mixture of chalk and soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

She's still open and causing hassle locally by not adhering to the pandemic rules. Lots of former locals are drinking down in the Black Lion now as a result.

Did you cross them out as they're all closed down? Marble Arch is still operating from the off licence and doing takeaway pints anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Wonder if this was an ancestor of the same Noctors?

https://dyingforapint.blogspot.com/2017/12/woman-sold-in-smithfield-by-publican.html
    Woman sold in Smithfield by publican
    In 1797 in the Smithfield market area a publican named Mullen married a young lady nine years his junior but after two months of marriage Mullen was not the happiest husband in town as he claimed his wife 'lacked zest in matters of the bedroom'.

One morning he dragged his young wife out onto the square by the hair, tied her by rope to the railings, exposed her and then sold her.

The purchaser was another local publican Thomas Noctor who paid five guineas for his new property and Mullen agreed to pay an extra 15 guineas to make sure Noctor completed the deal.

Delighted with their bit of business, the two men retired to a pub in the Smithfield area to celebrate leaving the young lady still tied to the railings.

I used to work in the industry up until about 15 years ago, I must've set foot in every sh1thole pub in this (great) thread, I'll need a few hours and google maps to see if there are any candidates that haven't been mentioned in it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Did you cross them out as they're all closed down? Marble Arch is still operating from the off licence and doing takeaway pints anyway.

No. Just highlighting Cleary's over the rest of them.

I think the last time I darkened the door of Cleary's was when it was called Murphy's and that was about 20 years ago.

Speaking of the Lion... Heading there now for a pinto. :)

PS. It's spelled "Marbler" :) and the last time I was there was to watch the Ireland v France game at RWC 2007. It was far from a rugby-friendly environment.

We're 500 odd posts in and no one has yet given me a recommendation on where I may just lose my life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

We're 500 odd posts in and no one has yet given me a recommendation on where I may just lose my life

This is not Compton. You’re fairly safe in pretty much every pub in the country bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Wonder if this was an ancestor of the same Noctors?

https://dyingforapint.blogspot.com/2017/12/woman-sold-in-smithfield-by-publican.html

I used to work in the industry up until about 15 years ago, I must've set foot in every sh1thole pub in this (great) thread, I'll need a few hours and google maps to see if there are any candidates that haven't been mentioned in it

Can you imagine reciting at the dinner table one 'lacked zest in matters of the bedroom' one evening! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Really enjoyed that thread. Have drank in a few of the pubs mentioned, some lived up to their reputation some dont.
    But on the list for me the rowdiest one I was in had to be the "Jobie" The Jobstown House.

About 20 years ago was out one Saturday night ended up back at a party and a couple of hours later went to the pub for a fixer. Some lad comes over to me and tells me that I was in his seat.

I asked him his name, told him his name wasn't on it when I sat down. A scuffle broke out we were punching the head off each other then the owners wife came out and started hitting us with a soup ladle.

Then we sat beside each other and got twisted. Surreal.

One pub I can't believe hasn't been mentioned and for me it was the roughest pub I have been in was The Chinaman at the back of Dublin Castle. Bikers bar. Some hardy lads in there.

Advertisement